Xenpota vs Wordpress Bridge?

agison

I don't open this topic to compare Xenporta with Wordpress features.
I just don't know why there are so many big & small forum owners here want to use Wordpress (XF + WP Bridge) instead of Xenporta.

Xenporta (from Jaxel):
  • It's a XF Addon
  • Easy to install, maintemane.
Wordpress
  • CMS/Blog system
  • Separate installations, need to install Wordpress Bridge (like XenScripts WP Bridge)
  • Need to change Wordpress theme to look like XF Theme or using XenDynamic (Beta)
  • HTML/BBCode conflicts
  • W3TC Cache issue
  • Need to update style/code when upgrade WP or Xenforo.
Although there are so many difficulties, I see many small forum owner here are still using Wordpress + Wordpress bridge with Xenforo. Could anyone please help me explain why?

Thanks.

everyone has different need and every need is different.
Wordpress exist way before Xenforo and Xenporta. WP has too many plugin and theme to list. It's the best CMS around.

I'm going to move from VB4 to XF.
My VB CMS have more than 10.000 articles. Moving them to Xenporta or Wordpress is a not easy choice for me.

I know WP is the best CMS, but I have some bad experiences with using many platforms for a site.

Reason I'll be using Wordpress and XF is because of the features and how it's going to systematically work the way I want it to for the website I'm developing. I did look at the XFPortal and understands it has many features and that's great too. I guess people when developing have individual needs and design choices when they go about developing. But having said that, it's such a difficult choice to make because their both outstanding scripts from what I have heard from community feedback so it was not a decision I rushed into.

Another reason for WP would be that behind WP is a bigger community and a bigger dev. team.
If something bad happens to jaxel, you'll have to switch to an alternative as long as he doesn't have a rescue plan for the addons (which I'm not aware of).

But the recent events with some xf-addon-devs made the people finally think about what risks they can affort

If something bad happens to jaxel Kier, you'll have to switch to an alternative as long as he doesn't have a rescue plan for the addons Xenforo (which I'm not aware of).
Everything has risk.
If Jaxel stops supporting his addons and Xenforo releases code that breaks his addons, there are so many people whom use XenPorta ... they'll be plenty of people to help with code fixes.
small example - http://bukkit.org/

FWIW - A bridge is much less stable than Jaxel's XenPorta. The bridged software can be broken with either a WP or XF update.

Jaxel made great addons for vB. xF & members are very lucky he moved over to xF. Many xF sites have benefited from his portal. He also uses XenPorta himself. 8wayrun.com is not xenfans.com or ragtek.org . 8wayrun is very popular site and Jaxel has a major vested interests in keeping it going. XenPorta users should feel very confident that Jaxel is at the helm.

I think I'm going to use XenPorta now. I looked into the Wordpress bridge and there is one feature which is the posting of Wordpress posts to Xenforo that I only really needed (with the intergration obviously which comes with the basic one as standard anyway) because of the way I'm developing my website so yeah I've decided to go with XenPorta on that basis.

And also, I think people like Jaxel who put a lot of time and effort into their work deserve a lot of credit for not only bringing it here to Xenforo but making it publicly available to us. Not a lot of people do that so yeah I salute the guy for that. I have plans to purchase the copyright removal of it so hopefully many more people who do this will let him know that we fully support him so he will keep on doing the great work he does.

Anyway, better sleep now. Been on Kingdoms of Amalur all night! Later folks. :)

Using CMS integrated with forum may be ok for guests but very inconvenient for active users.
If you want to check forum alerts and inbox you should first go to main page, then click to forums.
Moreover if you have actively commented news you won't see any alerts about comments in the forum.

I wish we had a timeline on when an official Xenforo CMS would be available. Xenporta is OK but not like having a native application with a more extensible set of CMS features.

I'd like it if XenForo made an official and supported WordPress Bridge (I'd buy that).

I currently use WordPress, but do not have any bridge installed. Mostly because bridge development is often abandoned by whoever develops it. I've not known any long term bridge support by anyone or one that kept with current versions.

So for now, I do use WordPress, but it's separate from my XenForo install.

Top Bottom