Xenforo

Bdoom

So I just purchased Xenforo but I noticed that there isn't a large selection of skins and add-ons that are free. I would say that 70% of the skins are pay to get and same goes for the addons.

I really want a reputation system for my site, and a new skin besides the default but all the skins cost money :(

And rightly so, some developers spend hours of their spare time creating things for us to enhance our users experience on our forums, so they should charge for their work.

Because developers deserve something for the hard work they do. Also, paid add-ons usually mean they are -- or at least should be -- of better quality.

So I just purchased Xenforo but I noticed that there isn't a large selection of skins and add-ons that are free. I would say that 70% of the skins are pay to get and same goes for the addons.

I really want a reputation system for my site, and a new skin besides the default but all the skins cost money :(

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/?type=free

Plenty of free styles out there, split pretty evenly (at least it appears from the sorting).

Yes but should 90% of the stuff be payed? The question is "Why should I use xenforo over vBulletin's enourmous section of free addons, and skins." Have you seen MyBB? or phpBB? Those are free forum software which have an immense number of developers who develop stuff for free and are not greedy. Not trying to advertise these other sites but I do think there should be more free add-ons. Why should I have to fork out $50+ for a plugin which only took a week to make. Nothing is free on here. You can't say it's okay when competitors are doing the same stuff but for free and are equally produced properly (without bugs).

Well the question for you is, why did you purchase XenForo if your primary interest is how many free third party add-ons and styles there are?

It seems an odd reason to base your forum software purchasing decision on and then to go against it.

I'm giving you constructive criticism as another web designer that when you have competition that doesn't charge for everything, people will ask questions as to why this is like this. I'm only asking questions.

I'm giving you constructive criticism as another web designer that when you have competition that doesn't charge for everything, people will ask questions as to why this is like this. I'm only asking questions.
So why don't you start creating some free addons then!!

I don't think calling developers on here greedy is exactly constructive criticism :). Can you elaborate on where you got your 90%?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons.28/?type=free

63 pages of free

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons.28/?type=paid

20 pages of paid

Ah, I see the 90% now.

I would rather pay for services than get free addons and skins full of spam links in the footer and God knows what else. when you support a developer with money for his time you are less likely to encounter these problems. I worked with vBulletin for over 10 years and in the time i had many problems related to free stuff i picked up that i thought was cool. There is no comparison, Xenforo and it's addons are far superior than vbulletin. For that kind of quality you can expect to pay a little, nothing here is that expensive either, the prices are fair and reasonable.

I mean no one has been able to answer that question. Oh I forgot, it's the internet, a place where everyone takes things personally and no one actually focuses on the real questions of things.

I just gave you the answer to this question:
The question is "Why should I use xenforo over vBulletin's enourmous section of free addons, and skins."

Did I not?

I answered QUALITY. From the software itself all the way down to the community as a whole. I don't know exactly what other answer you are searching for. If you want to have less quality software, it's out there. I can't answer for the add-ons and the communities of others, as have rarely ever visited, but you won't find better help from any other community.

If there is another question, please, feel free. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

I just gave you the answer to this question:

Did I not?

I answered QUALITY. From the software itself all the way down to the community as a whole. I don't know exactly what other answer you are searching for. If you want to have less quality software, it's out there. I can't answer for the add-ons and the communities of others, as have rarely ever visited, but you won't find better help from any other community.

If there is another question, please, feel free. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Ooh, my bad man! I thought you were trying to insult me and say "This guy isn't posting anything good, I'm out of here!" Sorry! I was confused! I understand now! I agree, paid apps tend to have better support and design.

Top Bottom