XenForo

Yeah that's ok for trying out some designs in Ps, but if you're going to use it online you need a license.
No, it is not okay to try it out in PS at all.

Eurostile is a commercial font, and to use it at -all- you must own a license to it. Online, desktop only, if you do not own the font itself (having paid for it) you are stealing directly from the foundry.

No, it is not okay to try it out in PS at all.

Eurostile is a commercial font, and to use it at -all- you must own a license to it. Online, desktop only, if you do not own the font itself (having paid for it) you are stealing directly from the foundry.
Dude who cares, you're just doing some testing on your pc.

I won't state my opinion as those who know me already know what my opinion is here on this matter. However to keep this thread from turning into a debate on the legalities involved here, I will offer a suggestion to maybe deescalate the situation before we argue points of principle.

While you can purchase licensing for this font from many different sites apparently...someone testing may not want to pony up the money to see how it works out. There are fonts that are comparable to eurostyle that will suit your purpose. If you like how your trials look, then your option would be to deal with the look-a-like font (something like this) or purchase from 20-26USD a license to use this commercially as for use on your webpage...that's what it would be considered.

http://www.fontspace.com/luke-owens...ntsize=80&foreground=000000&background=FFFFFF

I've removed the post linking to the site with software which can be illegally downloaded for free.

Please do not post links to such sites.
There is never any excuse for piracy.
If you want the font, pay for it.

I didn't like your post because I agree, but because you're fine with a form of theft.

Stealing is stealing, no matter what the reason. Justifying it changes nothing :rolleyes:.
Correct, I'm perfectly fine with it. :) You see, some people have a liberal view on the world, they make a personal judgement on morality, instead of following blindly and impose their self-righteousness to others. IMO, there is no harm in playing with something (like a XenForo admin demo) as a private user, and paying for the license when you actually use it for something.

Now I already know what you're going to say (or think), the admin demo is not the same, and you'd be right. But we're talking about morality and how you affect other people. And in my view, you do not harm anyone as a private user testing (trial/demo) a product and paying for it when you use it for a purpose.

This is my opinion, and you do not have to agree with it.

Sorry. Was not aware.
I did a Google search and it was the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd link in the search.

Where would you go to "buy" (legally) a font?
How would you know a font is paid -vs- free?
I did the same and to your credit that is true.

Any legitimate site that sells fonts could have one. Simply put, check for the license requirements.

http://www.fontspace.com/luke-owens...ntsize=80&foreground=000000&background=FFFFFF

This example is licensed as freeware.

Someone also posted a link to a site in this thread that sells eurostyle and others legally

Sorry. Was not aware.
I did a Google search and it was the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd link in the search.

Where would you go to "buy" (legally) a font?
How would you know a font is paid -vs- free?
If it's a commercial font, there will be a Buy or Purchase link or button somewhere near the font.
You will know whether you can just download it, or you have to purchase it.

It's okay to pirate as long as you're just "testing"? o_O

Piracy is stealing, temporarily or not, and it's wrong. That simple, whether it applies to something as "simple" as a font or as complex as computer software.
This is a bit of a semantic discussion, and I didn't expect most people to get what I'm saying to be honest.

I see product testing as a common and acceptable practice, offered by many companies, especially when the product is digital. In fact it is beneficial to the company, because it has been proven to increase sales. That's why you see trial software, demos, etc. Generally, I obviously agree software piracy is morally wrong and harmful. What we're talking about here is a service for the customer to test a product, to see if it is useful to him and worth buying. This has an advantage for both seller and buyer, because it ensures the buyer is happy with the product and more likely to buy more, because he knows the product lives up to his expectations. More sales obviously means also an advantage for the seller. That's why you see a fully functional XenForo Admin demo on this site. It prevents people from downloading it to be able to test it.

The problem (and here it turns semantic) is that some people talk about stealing, while in reality you're doing nothing more than trying a product, to decide whether it fits to your needs. Furthermore, downloading is never illegal in the Netherlands (sorry, Dutch article), uploading/spreading is.

I pay for all my (digital) goods, and I can honestly say that I probably have bought more of them than most people here. More importantly, I often tend to buy the right things, and the things I can use. And that's only the case because I test things before I buy. If no trial is available, then it's possible that I will download first and pay later. If the product does not fit my needs in trial, I remove it from my HDD. Does that make me a thief? No, not in my book. And what's more important, I'm doing nothing illegal according to the law in my country.

So to conclude, of course you should always pay for software and products you want to own. But calling someone a thief who is paying for products he intends to use if satisfied, is simplistic and completely misses the point. But I completely understand why people do it. They simply can not see that morals are not guided by a specific short term practice, but by the intend you have in mind. So when Forsaken calls me a thief, I feel not the slightest remorse, because I know he misses the point completely. Hope this makes sense for you.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic discussion. But this obviously required explanation. If anyone wants to reply to this, please PC me, so this thread stays on-topic, thanks. :)

This is a bit of a semantic discussion, and I didn't expect most people to get what I'm saying to be honest.

I see product testing as a common and acceptable practice, offered by many companies, especially when the product is digital. In fact it is beneficial to the company, because it has been proven to increase sales. That's why you see trial software, demos, etc. Generally, I obviously agree software piracy is morally wrong and harmful. What we're talking about here is a service for the customer to test a product, to see if it is useful to him and worth buying. This has an advantage for both seller and buyer, because it ensures the buyer is happy with the product and more likely to buy more, because he knows the product lives up to his expectations. More sales obviously means also an advantage for the seller. That's why you see a fully functional XenForo Admin demo on this site. It prevents people from downloading it to be able to test it.

The problem (and here it turns semantic) is that some people talk about stealing, while in reality you're doing nothing more than trying a product, to decide whether it fits to your needs. Furthermore, downloading is never illegal in the Netherlands (sorry, Dutch article), uploading/spreading is.

I pay for all my (digital) goods, and I can honestly say that I probably have bought more of them than most people here. More importantly, I often tend to buy the right things, and the things I can use. And that's only the case because I test things before I buy. If no trial is available, then it's possible that I will download first and pay later. If the product does not fit my needs in trial, I remove it from my HDD. Does that make me a thief? No, not in my book. And what's more important, I'm doing nothing illegal according to the law in my country.

So to conclude, of course you should always pay for software and products you want to own. But calling someone a thief who is paying for products he intends to use if satisfied, is simplistic and completely misses the point. But I completely understand why people do it. They simply can not see that morals are not guided by a specific short term practice, but by the intend you have in mind. So when Forsaken calls me a thief, I feel not the slightest remorse, because I know he misses the point completely. Hope this makes sense for you.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic discussion. But this obviously required explanation. If anyone wants to reply to this, please PC me, so this thread stays on-topic, thanks. :)
Point out where I call you a thief, please. The closest I came to it is saying that stealing is stealing, no matter how it is justified. That isn't accusing you of theft in any way or form, but if you're taking that way...

As far as Netherlands law is concerned, if we go by the law in most other countries, about 80% of the world would consider it theft. Maybe you have a moral blindspot, but most people surely do not.

Now I am truly done with this thread, I only responded as I do not appreciate you claiming I said something I certainly did not.

Top Bottom