Xenforo Upgrades

billybatz9

Hello,
I have been for countless days trying to choose between xenforo and IPB. I absolutely loveeee the feel for XF, much more than IPB.

But I love the variety of addons IPB has.... Like IP.nexus(subscriptions), IP.blogs, IP.gallery.and etc which xenforo does not. (However they are quite expensive, which makes me re-consider)

Does Xenforo have any future plans in creating any of the above listed add ons? I know there are special mods for blogs and supposedly someone is working on a gallery mod, but those are un-reliable as the developers can just one day leave....

With Xenforo coming out with these mods themselves, we will know for sure they are staying and will always be running smoothly.

Another thing I am needing that XF does not have, is a successful Wordpress bridge. Any plans for that too? Just know 20 % of all website owners, use Wordpress. With a bridge like that, your sales will sky rocket.

Please let me know, as I am really not wanting to spend all my hard earned money on that "money hungry" IPB community. For that, I am not liking them at all.

Besides, I love the XF community (:

Hello,
I have been for countless days trying to choose between xenforo and IPB. I absolutely loveeee the feel for XF, much more than IPB.

But I love the variety of addons IPB has.... Like IP.nexus(subscriptions), IP.blogs, IP.gallery.and etc which xenforo does not. (However they are quite expensive, which makes me re-consider)

IP.Nexus is horrible. I have 2 IP.Nexus license and I definitely regret buying those. WHMCS is much better compare to IP.Nexus. Depending on what you want to use for, I would give more opinion later for you but for selling gameservers, renewal products, etc. it's horrible because of many things. Let's just leave the bugs aside which are introduced in every release. I am not being nut picky on small bugs but even major bugs passes their QA team and it becomes night mare for server admins.

IP.Gallery is resource intensive and has pathetic SEO. If you are expecting to get any traffic through it, just forget it.

For blogs, I haven't used much so I will not say much on it.

IMO if you just want to sell subscriptions, Xenforo is in build in forum core and trust me they rock!

For forum - Xenforo.
For selling products - Xenforo + OpenCart or WHMCS - as per your needs.
For website + forum - XenPortal + Xenforo

Hello,

XenForo has the add-ons, but you would need to get them from the market, they are not first party

Login integration - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xensso-xenforo-single-sign-on.601/
Blogs - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/better-blogs.1055/
Gallery - http://xenmediagallery.com/

All of those are 100% integrated with XenForo

Hello,

Does Xenforo have any future plans in creating any of the above listed add ons? I know there are special mods for blogs and supposedly someone is working on a gallery mod, but those are un-reliable as the developers can just one day leave....

With Xenforo coming out with these mods themselves, we will know for sure they are staying and will always be running smoothly.

Another thing I am needing that XF does not have, is a successful Wordpress bridge. Any plans for that too? Just know 20 % of all website owners, use Wordpress. With a bridge like that, your sales will sky rocket.

Please let me know, as I am really not wanting to spend all my hard earned money on that "money hungry" IPB community. For that, I am not liking them at all.

Besides, I love the XF community :)

What are you going to be using blogs for?

XI Blogs is putting a larger focus on contention creation than just singular blog use. It offers multiple blogs per user, multiple-author blogs and multiple-author entries and is constantly being updated with additional functionality and features.

I'm currently using it as a way to house news for my gaming site and it'll work with a portal I'll be using when that is finished.

I was just going to use it for users to blog. Nothing big.

Mainly just looking for a forum to integrate with my Wordpress site. IPS bridges with Wordpress are a lot better then the bridges here bridge xenforo and Wordpress

Hello,

Besides, I love the XF community :)

I just saw you posted a similar thread over on IPB - and nothing wrong with that! - and just thought I'd chime in and say that I think there seems to be a much better community here, with people quick to want to help you. I know you got a few quick responses on IPB, but I suspect that was partly because of the board you were posting in and the subject matter. But if it had been an actual support question, or anything else besides that particular subject, you might not have gotten responses so quickly. I know I asked a question there seven or eight months ago, basically just asking if a feature I had been looking for had been added, because it wasn't something that could be determined from the demo. It was something literally anyone who used the software could have answered, but no one ever did. Ten or eleven days ago I replied to my own thread, asking the same question again - still no reply to this date. Not that it was urgent or anything, mind you, I just feel that if I had asked it here I wouldn't have had the same experience - at least based on my experience here so far. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy a Xenforo license today. ;)

Hey Imno007,

Thanks for your response and I kind of figured the support wasn't as good as Xenforo. I only get answers in the "pre sale questions" because they want me to buy their product. I know that's a fact.

No doubt about it... I love xenforo so much more. But as to my needs, I NEED a xenforo and Wordpress bridge that has not yet been developed. IPS has a successful working bridge that meets my needs. That's the only reason why I might choose them. Maybe when Xenforo comes out with one, ill migrate over.

But right now, I'm kind of leaning towards IPS even though they aren't as good as xenforo.

Wordpress carries a lot for my website..
Classifieds, information, and multisite setup.

I've been even trying to find a developer for my Wordpress/Xenforo bridge, but no developer will create it for a reasonable price. They want thousands of dollars that I just don't have.

IPS bridges with Wordpress are a lot better then the bridges here bridge xenforo and Wordpress

If you are open:
I've been even trying to find a developer for my Wordpress/Xenforo bridge, but no developer will create it for a reasonable price. They want thousands of dollars that I just don't have.
  • XenScripts newest version is being tested. Actually 1.2 is packaged, and I have 1.3 alpha on my site.

lph,
I would have to sell my leg to afford that bridge lol (ridiculously priced)

I was talking about this bridge
http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6089-wordpress-ipsconnect/

And does the new version of xenscripts allow these things...
1) allow user to register, login, logout through either Wordpress or Xenforo
2) copy user to each others database regardless of which platform user signed up through

The reason why I ask is...
Because I am using a very powerful classifieds theme (sitemile) to multisite with my Wordpress theme now.

And if my users aren't transferred over to Wordpress or aren't able to sign in through Wordpress, the classifieds theme won't work at all.

Hey Imno007,

Thanks for your response and I kind of figured the support wasn't as good as Xenforo. I only get answers in the "pre sale questions" because they want me to buy their product. I know that's a fact.

No doubt about it... I love xenforo so much more. But as to my needs, I NEED a xenforo and Wordpress bridge that has not yet been developed. IPS has a successful working bridge that meets my needs. That's the only reason why I might choose them. Maybe when Xenforo comes out with one, ill migrate over.

But right now, I'm kind of leaning towards IPS even though they aren't as good as xenforo.

Wordpress carries a lot for my website..
Classifieds, information, and multisite setup.

Well, if you go with IPB, just a tip: if you want to have all the optional stuff, like recent replies, etc,. display on the homepage, you should ask your host to increase MySQL's 'max_allowed_packet to at least 32 MB, if it's any lower than that by default. That's just based on my personal experience using 3.1 (it might not be the case any longer). It was necessary for me to get it running smoothly.

I just saw you posted a similar thread over on IPB - and nothing wrong with that! - and just thought I'd chime in and say that I think there seems to be a much better community here, with people quick to want to help you. I know you got a few quick responses on IPB, but I suspect that was partly because of the board you were posting in and the subject matter. But if it had been an actual support question, or anything else besides that particular subject, you might not have gotten responses so quickly. I know I asked a question there seven or eight months ago, basically just asking if a feature I had been looking for had been added, because it wasn't something that could be determined from the demo. It was something literally anyone who used the software could have answered, but no one ever did. Ten or eleven days ago I replied to my own thread, asking the same question again - still no reply to this date. Not that it was urgent or anything, mind you, I just feel that if I had asked it here I wouldn't have had the same experience - at least based on my experience here so far. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy a Xenforo license today. ;)
Speaking from experience, the lack of attention and support from the community on IPB doesn't improve when you become a customer. Your experience is about the same experience I had as customer.

And you're just as likely to be told by other members that they'll gladly address your question for a price.

Seriously ..... I got a few PM's on IPB and a few people who joined my site, just to send me PM's telling me they knew the solution or answer to my question and would provide it for a small donation (fee).

As you noted, IPB staff could have even addressed your simple question, but didn't.

They claimed (at the time) they preferred to keep things private in ticket support, but not everything should need to be addressed in a ticket. Surely not something as simple as that.

And why even have support forums if your not going to generally rely on them?

Having used their ticket support I found it was days before someone would answer anything. Once it took almost a full month (2 1/2 weeks).

When I inquired about this delay, I was told that if I wanted speeder service I could purchase priority support, which is currently $225 with $25 6 month renewal fee. That brings your renewal fee (with the price of IPB included) to $50 every 6 months, $100 each year.

XenForo offers everything for only $40 for the whole year (not every 6 months). You get the first year after purchasing XenForo for free. :)

There is nothing about IPB's community or development or support overall that appears to be helpful without a price. There is no general willingness to just be helpful and do the right thing by helping others.

Attachments

• support-cost-ipb.webp
    support-cost-ipb.webp
    57 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Denis...
There are Wordpress bridges, but neither of them are what everyone truly desires.
First, they make Xenforo the master taking registrations, logins, logouts.

I want my users to be able to use both Wordpress and xenforo to register,login,logout.

No offense to any of the Wordpress bridge creators. They are awesome mods and are great for everyone who uses Wordpress as their slave on their website. But I don't. I need Wordpress to be the main "master" of the site. I just wish users were copied on each others platforms (with password sync)
It's not that long ago that Wordpress had a whopping 5 usergroups (Subscriber, Contributor, Author, Editor, Administrator) and content could not be restricted to specific usergroups.

Personally, I think XenForo should offer an officially supported XenForo <-> Wordpress bridge that tightly integrates the two. Then XenForo does not need to blow 2 years developing a CMS or Blog.

that's what I love about xenforo,.... afforable
IPB.. money hungry ba5tard5

I don't see the reason to use that epithet only because you consider a product price too high. It seems the Fox and the Grape story.
IPS considers that price fair enough for its business. Customers and their wallets are the king and can decide if IPS assumption is right or wrong.
For example, i opened my wallet for Xenforo because i think it offers the best quality/cost ratio but at the same time I don't need to insult XenForo competitors (although I have to admit that I' m sometimes tempted regarding IB for disasters that it made and still continue to make :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom