XenForo training by XenForo?

jtbpilot

Purchased the software and have created my website outline.
What I'd like to do is purchase a three day class which covers the basics of the software. Have not found any formal training options available.

Having an instructor there to cover my website ideas with me, mainly its presentation - and receive suggestions and guidance to finish the site set up - is what I need. Anyone know of any training options? Thanks.

I'd assume several offerers within https://xenforo.com/community/forums/third-party-services-offers.42/ would be happy to provide assistance with training.
Thank you for the suggestion, however I looked through that forum previous to my post. Many offers for services related to the set up or add on services. I'm looking for classroom, 2-day, 3-day courses that teach XenForo. Maybe a basic, then intermediate class. Not finding any third party company offering training.

Between the detailed manual and this forum, there is a wealth of excellent information and timely advice.

For a $160 piece of software, I'm not sure that there is a need for a 3 day course that would cost thousands to produce or attend. It may exist, but I haven't seen it personally. (possibly at one of the trade shows, if so) There may be some experts here that you could probably pay to fly out and put up to work with you, or even remotely. There are a few good consultants on here, too.

Once installed, everything is in the admin console. You can also add third party add-ons from that console, if you wish to customize it beyond the default configuration. Colorization and customization is also in the admin console, or you could buy optional third party pre-made 'skins'. It may look overwhelming at first, but everything is there. Small steps :)

If you have questions, jump right in and ask. This is a community (and author) supported forum.

Rhody; I agree with all you wrote and thank you for your suggestions.

Here's what I'm attempting to do.

Need to have a form, specifically an Entry form that members can click on, fill in the blanks, upload their pics, then hit enter.
The information would be entered in the forum selected and listed in alphabetical order (or sort order desired).

Here's an example; a form to enter car part data in the 'window and glass forum'.
Make of glass, model, tint color, thickness, application. Pics of glass uploaded to the form. Hit enter. Data is entered in the 'window and glass forum' as it was entered on the form with pics attached - as a new post. User can use the drop down arrow to select sort order, usually alphabetical.

Need to use a form like this in EACH forum, for data entry by the forum users.
Transmissions
Pumps and Hoses
Brakes
Body panels
Dashboard
etc,,,

Can I create this form using existing software or do I need an Add On - or a third-party utility.

Thank you for your help.

Personally, I think you'd probably want to hire one of the third party developers to create this unique add on/database functionality for you. Resource Manager may partially do what you want, too. This is probably beyond what the manual or training would cover.

MOUTH's link above has some good ones to screen and talk with.

Good luck

Here's an example; a form to enter car part data in the 'window and glass forum'.
Make of glass, model, tint color, thickness, application. Pics of glass uploaded to the form. Hit enter. Data is entered in the 'window and glass forum' as it was entered on the form with pics attached - as a new post. User can use the drop down arrow to select sort order, usually alphabetical.

Need to use a form like this in EACH forum, for data entry by the forum users.
Transmissions
Pumps and Hoses
Brakes
Body panels
Dashboard
etc,,,

Can I create this form using existing software or do I need an Add On - or a third-party utility.
Sounds like you need Showcase; https://xenforo.com/community/resou...gement-system-reviews-guides-garage-etc.1208/ and perhaps filtering for it too; https://xenforo.com/community/resources/showcase-filter-by-addonslab.7145/

Showcase compatible with xF 2 can be purchased from https://xenaddons.com/store-products/showcase/

Reviving this thread.
Can anyone direct me to ANY party who provides instruction, help, guidance on an hourly fee basis, who can help me with Xenforo and my website? I'm located in the Fort Lauderdale area. Willing to drive to company offices for class, setup, website work and more in the Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

Require ability to make follow up appointments when we need additional software/IT help with my forum/website.

We were looking for a company that provides classes on Xenforo and follow up help with it - however I've been informed that is NOT provided by Xenforo nor was a third party provider recommended. IF I can't get the help and support needed I'm going to consider this a high cost learning lesson and move over to another forum software which does provide support - or has third party providers who I can contact for support and work with when my schedule permits.

I'm NOT an IT or Software person. My goal is to get this company and forum I've been working on since 2015 - off the ground - go live with it.

Thank you.

I don't think there is any party already offering classes or tutorials. However, there are people who offer advice and guidance. I would contact @MySiteGuy to see if his services are what you need. I suspect that this will be helpful to you.

I'd like to echo @Mouth s advice to start using Showcase. It does something similar to what you describe. It's rock solid code and very reliable.

Further I would start by reading all the tips and guides that are available in the resource manager. As well as the manual. This will give you a good basis.

The main question is how much of the "administration" you want to be able to do yourself. You can of course always hire people to do the job for you if you don't have the time or the will, but in the longer run you will always be dependant on someone. The good part is you will always find people here who can help out with certain things.

The next question is if you want to run XenForo only (for now) or do you also have an additional website attached to it (like a Wordpress website or a custom website). This complicates things a lot. If it is only XenForo we are talking about, well, it is very easy to learn, you can do it easily. But managing a main website along XenForo is not that easy.

The last question is if you understand the limitations of the core software of XenForo. As board owners, we all have thousands of wishes we wish we could do with XenForo, but 90% of the time we can't. The core software is limited. I mean it can do a lot of stuff, don't get me wrong, the core features are very robust, good and secure. But we can't do everything we want that easily.

Then there are addons. There are a lot of great addons which extend the functionalities of the core product. With those we can actually do some things we wished we can do. But they are not endless either.

So if you start falling down the rabbit hole where you keep wanting to do things the core can't, then the real problems start. Because now you need bespoken custom development for you. Then you must find developers who can develop it for you, which will be expensive, and with each update of the software or addons, things might break, so you'll need them get fixed. And this cycle goes on and on. Because now you rely on a custom thing only you have, so you are dependent again.

Again, it all depends on how much dependent you want to be. The core product + 3rd party addons can be learned very quickly and easily. You just need to get in, it is not that hard. But if you are like "oh I want this style, and that design, and this customized", well then we are again in custom development territory. Some design stuff one can do oneself with html and css, but that is a bit more advanced than learning the software.

As a start, there is always the manual for XF: https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/
Then there are some beginner friendly videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL71lyEf0D9idDVFxEHykUywlWAxyVDhz8
You always have the commuty here, so feel free to ask anything and search for anything.
Then there is a XF demo you can always use to customize and configure freely anything you want.

I am not sure what your level of knowledge is. You are talking about since 2015, so I am not sure why you would need training. Perhaps you do. Again, without seeing your website it is hard to say. If you need specific things to be explained to you, just ask, we'll try to help. Or if you need the basics explained, I am sure there are plenty of admins who can help out. I can for example, but since I am not an US native, there might be better options than me.

In post nr. 5 you are talking about forms. The core software can't do that but there are 2 addons which can do that. It depends on what exactly you want to do.

Hope it works out for you, feel free to send me a pm if you need any help.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any party already offering classes or tutorials. However, there are people who offer advice and guidance. I would contact @MySiteGuy to see if his services are what you need. I suspect that this will be helpful to you.

I'd like to echo @Mouth s advice to start using Showcase. It does something similar to what you describe. It's rock solid code and very reliable.

Further I would start by reading all the tips and guides that are available in the resource manager. As well as the manual. This will give you a good basis.

I really appreciate the recommendation. I contacted them directly, and it seems face-to-face contact is a fairly strict requirement, which I can't accommodate.

You and others here are right, there's a lot of help here for any licensed user and I've never seen this community unwilling to help.

Even if Covid didn't exist, in the day of modern technology, isn't it easier to use stuff like skype + teamviewer, which is like basically sitting next to someone?
So, anyone could teach him and show him what he wants to be shown. Like demonstrate him everything with ease. Just like if someone sits next to him. Maybe he should think about it, better than not to have any demonstration at all.

Even if Covid didn't exist, in the day of modern technology, isn't it easier to use stuff like skype + teamviewer, which is like basically sitting next to someone?
So, anyone could teach him and show him what he wants to be shown. Like demonstrate him everything with ease. Just like if someone sits next to him. Maybe he should think about it, better than not to have any demonstration at all.

I can't "Like" this enough! Between easy recording, and both parties being able to be hands on the keyboard/mouse at the same time, I think it actually makes it far better for learning than being local.

Yes, in person.
Someone we can meet with, just like we meet with our CPA, Banker, Attorney, co-workers and others to go over projects, plans, requirements and confirm before moving forward.

We decided to purchase a new software suite and move forward with the in person, online, phone and video support they offer. This is NOT a personal decision. It's purely business. Sometimes we have to take a step back, regroup and move forward in a new direction. We are doing that.

Thank you to everyone who replied with guidance and recommendations.

Yes, in person.
Someone we can meet with, just like we meet with our CPA, Banker, Attorney, co-workers and others to go over projects, plans, requirements and confirm before moving forward.
Those are local businesses, versus a market that has been virtually based as long as forums have been around.

We decided to purchase a new software suite and move forward with the in person, online, phone and video support they offer. This is NOT a personal decision. It's purely business. Sometimes we have to take a step back, regroup and move forward in a new direction. We are doing that.
Out of curiosity, which forum software package has employees based out of south Florida that can provide in person support?

"Out of curiosity, which forum software package has employees based out of south Florida that can provide in person support?"

With all due respect, isn't YOUR question the question I've been seeking an answer to?
Someone, anyone, in house, third party, individual; who can help with the software in S. FL. Doesn't have to be an employee.

I'll leave it to the Forum to answer your question, as I've spent weeks researching the answer myself.
There are alternatives with someone, in house, third party, individual, company - willing to help set up Forums and the software they use. Logging out.

"Out of curiosity, which forum software package has employees based out of south Florida that can provide in person support?"

With all due respect, isn't YOUR question the question I've been seeking an answer to?
Someone, anyone, in house, third party, individual; who can help with the software in S. FL. Doesn't have to be an employee.

I'll leave it to the Forum to answer your question, as I've spent weeks researching the answer myself.
There are alternatives with someone, in house, third party, individual, company - willing to help set up Forums and the software they use. Logging out.

Pardon that I misunderstood you, but it was easy to get the wrong messaging. In your first post in this thread, you said you bought Xenforo. Then you later said you purchased a new software suite, and are moving forward with the service they offer (not a third party).
"We decided to purchase a new software suite and move forward with the in person, online, phone and video support they offer."

I hope your endeavours turn out well. (y)

Top Bottom