XenForo Skinning?

iamaaron

Hey there XenForo,

I want to start a community via a community board software.

Currently, I have Invision Power Board and I am not tooo happy with it.

I feel as if the code and the template/theme system is a joke and needs to be re-worked. I want to know about your code you have, and how easy/hard it is to theme something without having to write the same code via css so many times.

Give me some details on the system, what you are built on, how the styling works, is the styling easy or hard, etc.

Thank you,
Aaron

I'm right now having a super hard time finding how to change the gap between the logo/header and the rest of the forum, in IPB you could just change the .branding height and that was all about ...

CSS is pretty hard/messy/complicated to change with inspect element too compared to IPB

I think that xenForo is a lot harder to edit/customize it, on IPB, you just edit your ipb_styles and boom, that's it, here you have to edit 50 css files..

No you do not. Meet Extra.Css, style properties and color palette.

I'm right now having a super hard time finding how to change the gap between the logo/header and the rest of the forum, in IPB you could just change the .branding height and that was all about ...

CSS is pretty hard/messy/complicated to change with inspect element too compared to IPB

You might want to ask any support queries you have in support.

Hey there XenForo,

I want to start a community via a community board software.

Currently, I have Invision Power Board and I am not tooo happy with it.

I feel as if the code and the template/theme system is a joke and needs to be re-worked. I want to know about your code you have, and how easy/hard it is to theme something without having to write the same code via css so many times.

Give me some details on the system, what you are built on, how the styling works, is the styling easy or hard, etc.

Thank you,
Aaron

The styling/template system is light years ahead of the software your not happy with. Customization is very easy and if you know a little css you can do some wonderful stuff in EXTRA.CSS where this template never gets overwritten during xenforo upgrades. In a nutshell, it's easier, updating your styles takes minutes because of the excellent way this system is built and I'm sure once you tried styling xenforo/ using the template system you'll be very happy with the experience.

IPB is a nightmare to skin compared to XF...I do this for a living and know of what I speak. ;)
Maybe its harder to create a skin for it :) I don't disagree! I just said that it's easier or well, im used to it, since i just, go to my page, inspect element, i find what i want to change, i test it and boom, i change the css rules, here with xenforo i cant seem to be able to do that... :(

Anyway, i posted here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/changing-the-height-of-the-header-area.48746/

Maybe its harder to create a skin for it :) I don't disagree! I just said that it's easier or well, im used to it, since i just, go to my page, inspect element, i find what i want to change, i test it and boom, i change the css rules, here with xenforo i cant seem to be able to do that... :(

Anyway, i posted here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/changing-the-height-of-the-header-area.48746/
You're use to it, but if you give XenForo half a chance you can do way more and much quicker than IPB.

I have experience with all of the big forum systems and XenForo is far the best.

Having a hard time editing everything hear...its really complicated...
Take a day and get familiar with the system.

Just saying its complicated without trying to learn anything will obviously never help you with what you want to do. Learning a new system will always take time and will obviously not be 1:1 compatible with what you learned from another system.

Having a hard time editing everything hear...its really complicated...

I was in the same boat your in. I don't think i hurled so much abuse at samsung when I first tackled the navigation. With tons of trial and error you will eventually become familiar with the system and <insert monitor brand here> will still be going to therapy whilst your making significant changes in seconds that you previously found impossible to accomplish.

I was in the same boat your in. I don't think i hurled so much abuse at samsung when I first tackled the navigation. With tons of trial and error you will eventually become familiar with the system and <insert monitor brand here> will still be going to therapy whilst your making significant changes in seconds that you previously found impossible to accomplish.
Helping him now in conversation - he's catching on real quick! ;)

Top Bottom