XenForo on PHP7

Setting up a server with PHP 7 this week, will be the new home for my forum.
I didn't check, is zend opcache still included/supported?

Up to 70% faster compared to stock PHP 5.4+ but who uses PHP without xCache/APC?

Again, it doesn't make sense to risk the stability of your 1.5 site upgrading to PHP7 (you don't know if all your add-ons are compatible). It would be way better to wait for XenForo 2.0 and by that time there will be PHP 7.1 which will fix all the issues discovered in PHP 7.0 when put in production.

My day to day development environment is on PHP 7. XF 1.5 is working great, but I would suggest 1.5.0 should be the minimum if you wish to use PHP 7.

Depends on how many add-ons you use and how they are prepared for PHP7.

We are also running PHP7 in production and it needs less server resources for quicker services.
But we had to patch some add-ons before ...

It pays to upgrade to PHP7 as soon as possible.

Up to 70% faster compared to stock PHP 5.4+ but who uses PHP without xCache/APC?

Again, it doesn't make sense to risk the stability of your 1.5 site upgrading to PHP7 (you don't know if all your add-ons are compatible). It would be way better to wait for XenForo 2.0 and by that time there will be PHP 7.1 which will fix all the issues discovered in PHP 7.0 when put in production.

Not sure what you mean by that. The performance gap is even wider with opcache enabled:
http://www.drupalonwindows.com/en/blog/benchmarking-drupal-8-php-7-dev

Dont forget that memory consumption also is reduced by about 30%.

Can't speak for XF specifically though... A few benchmarks would be very welcome once the stable release is available

Top Bottom