XenForo on PHP7

I'm running MariaDB 10 on a 2GB VPS, I have a large forum approaching 900,000 posts and rarely have server loads over 1.00 and regularly have over 200 people online.

It honestly made no noticeable difference to performance or resource usage.

PHP execution is way down the list of things that add latency to first render. Images, css/js payload and complexity, sql and network latency have a much bigger bearing on the overall speed than pure php execution. That is to say don't expect a 70% boost in website rendering speed just because PHP maybe up to 70% quicker. Doesn't work like that. No doubt it'll help but it's not a miracle.

PHP execution is way down the list of things that add latency to first render. Images, css/js payload and complexity, sql and network latency have a much bigger bearing on the overall speed than pure php execution. That is to say don't expect a 70% boost in website rendering speed just because PHP maybe up to 70% quicker. Doesn't work like that. No doubt it'll help but it's not a miracle.

I haven't tested xenforo for this, but on my wordpress site, if a page is cached to disk, it has a time to first byte of approximately 40 milliseconds, while if it is not, time to first byte is closer to 300 milliseconds.

Now some of that is DB lookup time, but not a lot.

I haven't tested xenforo for this, but on my wordpress site, if a page is cached to disk, it has a time to first byte of approximately 40 milliseconds, while if it is not, time to first byte is closer to 300 milliseconds.

Now some of that is DB lookup time, but not a lot.

For sure plus you can further reduce latency by dumping cached pages to tmpfs (in memory fs) on debian. Solid page caching done right on XF will yield much better results than pure php execution improvements. Unfortunately from what I've seen fcgi caching is problematic at best today.

On WordPress I use 1 second fastcgi microcaching with nginx on tmpfs.

I run news articles that get slammed, and microcaching lets it handle the hoy articles.

It probably would be less useful on a forum.

I've used redis caching. It's super simple to setup. I've had redis crash a couple times (over several months of uptime), but I simply setup the systemd service to restore itself upon crash.

Once setup, with the right systemd self-repair, it just works.

And PHP Redis recompile fine with your PHP7 test installation?

Yes, no issues building phpredis (Of course using the php7 branch)
upload_2015-12-4_6-5-52.webp
Code:
PHP         : /usr/local/lsws/lsphp7/bin/php
PHP_SAPI    : cli
PHP_VERSION : 7.0.0
ZEND_VERSION: 3.0.0
PHP_OS      : Linux - Linux php7 2.6.32-042stab102.9 #1 SMP Fri Dec 19 20:34:40 MSK 2014 x86_64
INI actual  : /home/tmc/phpredis-php7/tmp-php.ini
More .INIs  :
CWD         : /home/tmc/phpredis-php7
Extra dirs  :
VALGRIND    : Not used

Xenforo admin panel stats from the test server
upload_2015-12-4_6-11-21.webp
(don't know why To/From Redis lines are always empty on it tho...but other than that it seems to work.)

edit: I actually did upgrade this test installation to the RTM build since I had everything ready on it anyway...

Last edited:
(don't know why To/From Redis lines are always empty on it tho...but other than that it seems to work.)
Not sure, it is parsing redis info output and isn't due to the redis php extension.

Might be a Redis 3 vs Redis 2.8 difference.

My medium size Forum, with 38 addons now running PHP 7.0.0 :)
Thanks to Eva :).
zLNTnzh.png

Only one addon from 77 in total not working, and that is [bd] Widget Framework.
If you're having the issue I think you're having, then try going to the xfrocks site and download the latest beta for that add-on. When I first tried out PHP7 RC, it also broke my Widget Framework add-on, but it was fixed when I upgraded to that beta add-on.

@Sunka, @DroidOne here you two go, I found the add-on: https://xfrocks.com/widget-framework/threads/bd-widget-framework-v2-6-0-beta.313/

Top Bottom