XenForo on PHP7

PHP 7 are pretty awesome but is not compatible with xCache. So I'm using PHP 7 without xCache now. However PHP 7 is better than older 5.x version and works great with OpCache. I think xCache is going to be awesome if compatible with PHP 7.x.

PHP 7 are pretty awesome but is not compatible with xCache. So I'm using PHP 7 without xCache now. However PHP 7 is better than older 5.x version and works great with OpCache. I think xCache is going to be awesome if compatible with PHP 7.x.
xcache is perfectly swappable with php7 opcache and apcu

APCu is used for simplicity
Redis does a better job, though

So I'm using PHP 7 without xCache now.
opcache for php5.6 was faster than xcache's opcache
xcache is not compatible with php7
xcache has not had any commits to its github project since January 14th, 2013
apcu is a drop in replacement for xcache's datastore

Based on these facts, the only logical option would be to use php7's internal opcache, and if you want a datastore, to choose a datastore, not hoping for a release of xcache for php7 considering its not in development at all.
As apcu is a full drop in replacement, I suggested that, even though I believe redis is better.

I have installed php 7.0.3 on my server (with nginx), currently with 5.6, and using php-fpm for testing on my dev xf site. (it works fine with php 5.6)

phpinfo(); works fine within my XF root dir, and reports 7.0.3 as the version. Also shows that php7.0-mysql is loaded, and pointing to the correct .sock file
When I hit XF though, it fails to load. (/ gives an nginx error /admin.php gives a plain white screen). Nginx error log shows ....
Code:
2016/02/20 08:49:38 [error] 5408#5408: *126787 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream, client: <ip address>, server: <mysite>, request: "GET / HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock:", host: "<mysite>"

I've ensured that the php-fpm .sock is correct, and owned by the same user as nginx, with 0666 permissions. php-fpm master process is running, with reference to valid php7.0 conf file.

Nginx conf for dev site is correct;
Code:
fastcgi_pass unix:/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock;

fpm/pool/www.conf contains;
Code:
listen = /run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock

I'm sure I've missed something - but what? Thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

I am running my XF in a shared hosting and they have the option to upgrade to PHP 7. In my site I only use 1 add on which is digital-point-ad-positioning. So want to know if the compatibility issue with this addon is fixed or not?

Thanks,
Yes it works fine now with PHP 7.0 stable release.

XF Forum with 1.1M post, 200K+ members, 60K Topics, 40+ addons, 100+ Forum nodes.
Index/Home on Debug Mode Page Load:
Timing: 0.0205 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7
Timing: 0.0266 seconds Memory: 4.873 MB DB Queries: 10
Timing: 0.0198 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7
Timing: 0.0198 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7
Timing: 0.0201 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7
Timing: 0.0210 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7
Timing: 0.0204 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7
Timing: 0.0226 seconds Memory: 5.086 MB DB Queries: 7

I just realized that the problems I was facing turning on PHP7 on my XF installation was xcache and [bd] Widget Framework. I have disabled both and the forum now works great. I wanted to ask, how can I check which other caching options are available to me on my Dreamhost VPS so that I can turn on some form of caching.

I am complete noob at this. XenForo cache documentation does not mention anything about this I believe...
https://xenforo.com/help/cache/
Some more info would be helpful! Thanks.

Update: phpinfo show '--enable-opcache' in the configure command field. But little more. So I am guessing my DH VPS does not have support for opcache?

I tried installing a WordPress plugin that showcases OPcache logs on the same domain. It also shows error.

Last edited:
Is there a list anywhere that lists modules that are currently not compatible with PHP7?

I am looking to upgrade but to minimise any issues i want to check if the modules we have are compatible.

Is there a list anywhere that lists modules that are currently not compatible with PHP7?
Modules? As in add-ons? If so, I don't think there's any list. The only add-on that wasn't compatible with PHP 7 in my forums was [bd] Widget Framework, but the BETA version works fine with PHP 7. I've been using PHP 7 for weeks. Awesome performance improvement compared to PHP 5.6.

Top Bottom