Xenforo not sending out SMTP mails

Dretax

Hi!

I am trying to use the SMTP api on my own physical server but Xenforo doesn't seem to be sending out SMTP mails.
I verified that the info is correct, and there are no errors, but also two different providers doesn't seem to be showing that there were any emails sent out.
What should i install on my os? Sendmail, postfix? I have tried both, but don't exactly know if they need any specific configurations. (Debian 10 x64)
Neither works just by installing them.

When you say neither works, how is it broken? Which bit exactly is not working?

Have you started sendmail/postfix after installing it? Have you made sure port 25 is open? Do the logs tell you anything helpful?

systemctl status postfix/sendmail should tell you if it's running or not.

When you say neither works, how is it broken? Which bit exactly is not working?

Have you started sendmail/postfix after installing it? Have you made sure port 25 is open? Do the logs tell you anything helpful?

systemctl status postfix/sendmail should tell you if it's running or not.
When i say neither works means that the SMTP API in xenforo doesn't throw an error, but the host also doesn't say that it has sent any mails out.
UPdVpDm.png

Neither ssl 465, tls 25/587 seems to be throwing errors, it just doesnt send a mail out.
I am using: mailjet.com

I don't know much about mailjet, but if you're using an API based system, do you need a mail server running? Shouldn't XF just make some API calls and deal with mail that way?

Personally I find sendmail a pain to configure and postfix much easier. Generally I install it, edit main.cf and master.cf, restart it and use the mail command to send a test email to myself from the command line.

If you have both running that will cause issues. It's also possible you have mail queuing and not being delivered, so look into checking the mail queue on your server.

I don't know much about mailjet, but if you're using an API based system, do you need a mail server running? Shouldn't XF just make some API calls and deal with mail that way?

Personally I find sendmail a pain to configure and postfix much easier. Generally I install it, edit main.cf and master.cf, restart it and use the mail command to send a test email to myself from the command line.

If you have both running that will cause issues. It's also possible you have mail queuing and not being delivered, so look into checking the mail queue on your server.
I indeed think that smtp connection should work without any issues, but doesn't seem like.
I only have sendmail installed atm.

If you have command line access, run 'lsof -i :25' and see if any results return.

Can you curl the Mailjet API from your server?

If you have command line access, run 'lsof -i :25' and see if any results return.

Can you curl the Mailjet API from your server?

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
master 22382 root 13u IPv4 1609841 0t0 TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
master 22382 root 14u IPv6 1609842 0t0 TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)

That's definitely up, running and listening then.

Have a look in the sendmail.cf file and check the configuration options, and check what the mailjet documentation says. You may need to set mailjet's server as an SMTP relay or something.

You can use the mail command to test if your sendmail installation works. https://www.binarytides.com/linux-mailx-command/

If it does, the problem is with mailjet's system and not your server configuration.

That's definitely up, running and listening then.

Have a look in the sendmail.cf file and check the configuration options, and check what the mailjet documentation says. You may need to set mailjet's server as an SMTP relay or something.

You can use the mail command to test if your sendmail installation works. https://www.binarytides.com/linux-mailx-command/

If it does, the problem is with mailjet's system and not your server configuration.
I switched to postfix btw.

I'm not sure the mail system is the problem, do you know the API definitely works? Can you send a mail via curl or by knocking up a python script?

I'm not sure the mail system is the problem, do you know the API definitely works? Can you send a mail via curl or by knocking up a python script?
Jun 30 17:36:15 Debian-10-buster-64-minimal postfix/qmgr[22384]: 7D836308009A: from=<noreply@acemta.eu>, size=583, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 30 17:36:15 Debian-10-buster-64-minimal postfix/smtp[9343]: 7D836308009A: to=<dretax@gmail.hu>, relay=in.mailjet.com[104.199.96.85]:25, delay=0.33, delays=0.11/0/0.14/0.08, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK queued as fa077980-b2b4-45ef-b084-c7012cf9b84b)
Jun 30 17:36:15 Debian-10-buster-64-minimal postfix/qmgr[22384]: 7D836308009A: removed
Utterly weird.

Top Bottom