xenforo license

The kind of people who use pirated software would continue to do so, even if the price was half what it currently is.

It's a false economy trying to convert pirates and thieves by dropping the price significantly.
It should only be around $15.

People will do illegal things whatever happens. What if lowering the price of xenforo means:

• Development and improvement of xenforo is compromised
  • Just as many people use illegal versions.

Yeah price don't matter, people just don't like paying for anything, so they will pirate things.

Look at the music industry, you can buy songs for 0.99 but some people still get a pirated version.

i love the xf license system. i can go a long time without renewals, and have never been 'forced' to upgrade for a security patch. the xf guys have been pretty good about posting relevant patches in the related announcement threads to patch up outdated version of xf, meaning you arent even required to have a current license to download the patch. its the entire reason i keep coming back, months later, to renew.

The f* did I just read? I hate to slander other softwares but if you want to see ridiculous license terms and pricing go over to IPB. If you don't maintain your $250/6 mo you'll be completely blocked out of the community forums and marketplace, as well as (obviously) their support. No updates at all, including security updates.

You didn't purchase the software, you got a license with terms that it can be used on one site.

I mean, security updates are always free. What more do you want? Using one license on multiple sites is both an insult to XenForo (and its developers), personally my favourite forum software on the market regardless of the price tag, and everyone who has paid additionally for more licenses.

The fact that you can still post in the community is an example of how legitimate the pricing structure is here. You still have complete community forum access. Good luck getting that at some other competitors.

The software is so powerful that you can make something else out of it, completely different from a forum. It's got a good, strong, extensible code base.

XenForo is too cheap, if anything. I'm fine with their pricing if it means I can get good software for $140/license with $40/yr renewal.

When I seek a forum and intend to become a frequent member of that community and find a PHPBB community,YABB, Simple Machines, Etc I back right out and continue my search for real forum software. As an end-user PHPBB as well as many of the other free alternatives are mind numbingly boring.

The f* did I just read? I hate to slander other softwares but if you want to see ridiculous license terms and pricing go over to IPB. If you don't maintain your $250/6 mo you'll be completely blocked out of the community forums and marketplace, as well as (obviously) their support.

That is not completely true. I do not know where you have gotten this information, but you can download resources there, and receive support too for them, even if your license has expired. And you will also not be completely blocked from the community forums either with an expired license.

Yeah price don't matter, people just don't like paying for anything, so they will pirate things.

Look at the music industry, you can buy songs for 0.99 but some people still get a pirated version.

I fully agree with this.

This guy is right, if you don't lower your prices, people will just be using nulled versions.

Because nothing says stick it to the man than continuing to use software you don't support?? Nulled versions bear very significant risk, not only are you held captive by other bad actors seeking to make a profit purely from distributing software that's not their own (oh yes those nulled versions are not free either) but you also risk introducing malware and deliberate exploits into a public forum. How cool is it when your users start seeing pop up ads that you have no control over or your data/subscribers are held hostage? No **** it happens often. But I suspect this is a lesson you need to learn on your own so by all means.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what do you base that on?
Because that's all he is willing to pay? Just another one of those "I want it but I want it cheap/free" folks that are getting so prevalent. What those idiots don't realize is that a lot of the "nulled" versions of the software (any) have a back door in them. Then they whine/***** when they get "violated" and try to blame it on the program/script, which in reality it's their fault for trying to get something for nothing (which you usually don't get in life).

That is not completely true. I do not know where you have gotten this information, but you can download resources there, and receive support too for them, even if your license has expired. And you will also not be completely blocked from the community forums either with an expired license.
No, he's completely correct (unless they've changed - and I doubt Lindy, Charles & group have since they stated that the developers - the third party ones - insisted that they should not allow access to it for expired license persons)... he's referring to IPB/IPS specifically. If you don't maintain your license in "good standing" you lose ability to access the forums and their marketplace - even if you may have purchased other add-ons from 3rd parties through the marketplace - if you don't keep your 6 month subscription updated then you cannot access any updates to them.

EDIT:
Just found the post by Charles stating that the information he's been giving about it not being accessible (the marketplace) was wrong.. so you CAN get to the marketplace.. but the 4.x forums apparently are still off limits to you once your license expires.

No, he's completely correct (unless they've changed - and I doubt Lindy, Charles & group have since they stated that the developers - the third party ones - insisted that they should not allow access to it for expired license persons)... he's referring to IPB/IPS specifically. If you don't maintain your license in "good standing" you lose ability to access the forums and their marketplace - even if you may have purchased other add-ons from 3rd parties through the marketplace - if you don't keep your 6 month subscription updated then you cannot access any updates to them.

EDIT:
Just found the post by Charles stating that the information he's been giving about it not being accessible (the marketplace) was wrong.. so you CAN get to the marketplace.. but the 4.x forums apparently are still off limits to you once your license expires.

But not completely blocked out from the forums as posted above. You still have access to the forums there, even if your license has expired. From the post that I quoted, it sounded to me that once your license has expired, you are completely blocked from Ipb, which I happen to know that it is not true. And that is why I posted about this.

But I am afraid that we are derailing the topic at hand. And I am also not sure, if we are allowed to discuss other forums policy here.

Don't think so. I discussed this with IPB and they said it's all removed with an expired license.

https://theadminzone.com/threads/ips-amazes-me.137771/

My $37,000 Mustang was really expensive.. Maybe I should call Ford on Monday and demand a different color one for each day of the week at no extra charge, since I could have bought a Ford tempo for only 14k..

my forum is dead and I am not happy that I paid $140 and can't even use it on 2 or 3 sites. PLUS I have to pay every year $40 to get any security updates. I don't even know how I ever talked myself into such a horrible license contract. Unless Xenforo grants me free security updates and lets me use the software on 2-3 sites I will DUMPT IT ASAP. What is so special about it that I have to put up with such a strict license. The latest version of phpbb is responsive and there are some nice styles out for it. I can make 100 forums and get free updates every year. Remember that the more people use your product the more people will see that little "by xenforo" at the bottom of the screen. If you chase off your customers with unreasonable greedy licensing stipulations you lose. Here is an idea... how about charging your customers for forums that go above a certain member count activity range. I will most certainly NOT be paying $40/year for a site that has no traffic.

Paid for my car. Guess I should never pay for repairs.

Top Bottom