1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo license use

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by mljother, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mljother

mljother Member

Just wondering how it works, since it means the difference between needing to purchase two or one.

I have two sites, one is a business and one is personal. They're both on the same hosting account, meaning I have one on my site root, whereas the other is in a subfolder with the .htaccess rewriting the URL. Since these are two different domains, does that mean I need separate licenses, or can the same license be used for both sites? I know this is obviously stretching it, but I was just wondering.

Please don't hurt me. :(

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You need a separate license for each installation.

The terms of the license however do allow for an additional test installation.

mljother likes this.
  3. Decent60

Decent60 Well-Known Member

You're license is registered and good for 1 domain, regardless of where its hosted at (eg. with 20334235464 difference websites or just 1).

mljother likes this.
  4. mljother

mljother Member

Okay, the testing license, however can be completely local? I wouldn't want to put a test site on the internet, unless it will eventually become my main site. :D That's what I figured, but I had to ask. I have learned as a student that not asking means you'll never know! Thanks a lot, I am still waiting until there's a demo of sorts so I can really play with an installation and get a feel for it, but I absolutely love the community and mods I've seen. Unfortunately, I can't really see how styles are since I do not have access to view the images. :(

So can that be my suggestion? Allow none license carriers to at least view images in the paid sections? Or at least in the styles section?

5. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

Testing on the internet is better though. Just disable registration. It's pretty obvious to tell when a domain using xF for testing or not.

mljother likes this.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

mljother likes this.
  7. mljother

mljother Member

Thanks guys! :)

8. Floris

Floris Guest

Using the excuse of a 'test' license to hide behind, for a second instance you're using as a real site.. voids in my opinion the purpose of "test".. and therefor should require it's own license.

9. mljother

mljother Member

Why would I do that?