XF 1.1 XenForo is not sending confirmation emails

nossr50

Just installed a new clean version of XenForo, actually this is my first time using XenForo...

Anywho, I've got it setup over at http://mcmmo.info/forum/ and everything seems dandy but users are not getting confirmation emails.

I have a few addons installed, mainly XenPorta and Flexile Style.

However these issues were present before I installed those addons.

Here is the stack trace I am getting

Code:
Error Info
Zend_Mail_Transport_Exception: Unable to send mail. - library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Sendmail.php:137
Generated By: Robert, 28 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /var/www/html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail()
#1 /var/www/html/forum/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#2 /var/www/html/forum/library/XenForo/Mail.php(170): Zend_Mail->send()
#3 /var/www/html/forum/library/XenForo/Mail.php(145): XenForo_Mail->sendMail(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /var/www/html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/UserConfirmation.php(124): XenForo_Mail->send('doc_robert@live...', 'Robert')
#5 /var/www/html/forum/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/AccountConfirmation.php(98): XenForo_Model_UserConfirmation->sendEmailConfirmation(Array)
#6 /var/www/html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(310): XenForo_ControllerPublic_AccountConfirmation->actionResend()
#7 /var/www/html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /var/www/html/forum/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(65) "http://www.mcmmo.info/forum/index.php?account-confirmation/resend"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["account-confirmation/resend"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(5) {
    ["_xfToken"] => string(53) "3,1336896271,613d772035fb0538efa137e5c1a318a2340c77be"
    ["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(16) "/forum/index.php"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

The default mail server is apparently not working on your server. Try setting up a different mail server:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Email Transport Method

Here are instructions for using Google as your mail server:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/setting-up-google-as-smtp-server-for-your-xenforo.6180/

Jake I'm on a Network Solutions shared web hosting. I noticed that initial sign up confirmations take 10 minutes while later changes are a minute or two. Is there a way to test the mail server. I have a startup forum with less than 100 members and NS says they don't have problem with other software accessing the mail server. Is there something XenForo does differently? Would the Google as mail server be quick?

Same question as ting.mike, how can we track down what causes slow signup confirmation. It needs to be fast or lose the sign up.

Jake,
Apparently the default mail server is not working as well on my server. Any way to troubleshoot this instead of going with google?

Jake I'm on a Network Solutions shared web hosting. I noticed that initial sign up confirmations take 10 minutes while later changes are a minute or two. Is there a way to test the mail server. I have a startup forum with less than 100 members and NS says they don't have problem with other software accessing the mail server. Is there something XenForo does differently? Would the Google as mail server be quick?

Same question as ting.mike, how can we track down what causes slow signup confirmation. It needs to be fast or lose the sign up.

You would have to consult with your web host to examine the mail logs on the server. And see this document for the relevant PHP settings:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php

Delays can be the result of a queue on either the sending or receiving end.

You would have to consult with your web host to examine the mail logs on the server. And see this document for the relevant PHP settings:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php

Delays can be the result of a queue on either the sending or receiving end.

Any ballparks on the response time using the Google mail server? I know when I sign up on sites, I expect to see the confirmation email in less than a minute.

Jake,
I'm on a self-managed VPS and I just started off a clean Debian install. I asked the hosting support on how to check the mail logs and they couldn't help me with it (so much for support).

I tried creating a .php file to test the email sending function and it worked. Only no email from XenForo.

Jake,
I'm on a self-managed VPS and I just started off a clean Debian install. I asked the hosting support on how to check the mail logs and they couldn't help me with it (so much for support). I tried creating a .php file to test the email sending function and it worked. Only no email from XenForo.

I vote you should try Jake's Google mail work around and give us a report on how long for confirmation to show up. Especially if mail isn't working at all.

The XenForo forum email signup confirmations are definitely going in the people's Spam folders. Would that be causing the long delay? I'll look at the suggestions in the link.

The XenForo forum email signup confirmations are definitely going in the people's Spam folders. Would that be causing the long delay? I'll look at the suggestions in the link.

It could be related. Maybe the receiver is grey listing you for the same reason it ends up in the spam folder. Just guessing.

It could be related. Maybe the receiver is grey listing you for the same reason it ends up in the spam folder. Just guessing.

It seems to be Google Mail that is generically assigning the XenForo forum membership confirmation to the Spam folder.

I think the Spam issue might one of the suggested fixes.

Also make sure your Default Email Address uses the same domain as your web site:

The email is a gmail which is different than domain for website. I'll change that to one of the website email addresses with same domain as website and see if that has an effect.

Top Bottom