Xenforo home page as a Blog style

Kim

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice on how to achieve what I am after, or even if it is possible.

Basically what I want is for my Xenforo to look and act like a WordPress or other blog software installation.. that is I want visitors to land on my site which would then have a list of recipes or latest blog "like" articles, then be able to click into them to read more, comment etc using the XF functionality.

I know there are a few Add-ons to do Blogs.. like IPB or vB have, that is NOT what I am after, I just want myself to be posting blog like articles, and for the forums to be the discussion or comments on each article, but I want it seamless, no obvious forum like layout etc. There are Library or Article Add-ons, but are they what I want? I dunno, there is also CMS like Add-Ons, again, I dunno if that is what I want, not particularily fussed with "who's online" usual forum bumpfffh etc being in the right column.

Edit - Ideally I would like it to be very photographical and visual, rather than slabs of text, I adore the new "masonary" tiled look similar to Pinterest that is now being seen in some sites, really would love to be able to do that somehow, but if not, at least for images to be the big thing, for it to be very visual when you land on the home page. But still to be able to use the Xenforo functionality and ease of posting, uploading images etc.

Here are some beautiful Food sites I think are the ultimate of what I would like to do...

http://www.latartinegourmande.com/

http://www.laraferroni.com/category/blog-2/

http://kitchen-notebook.blogspot.com.au/

http://www.nordljus.co.uk/

Perhaps I could achieve this with styling, but I have not attempted to do so yet, bit sort of lost as to where to start tbh.... I know XF is very powerful and relatively easy to do magic with, but I am no coder that's for sure.

I suppose I really want a WordPress install, but I hate WP and absolutely LOVE Xenforo.

Assistance would be appreciated :)

Sort of Erich, but I don't like all the forum "stuff" within each little window, so long as that could be removed or replaced then that is definitely on the right track. That does seem to be threads though on discussion list view, would it work on a front page type situation? And.. is this something that is actually happening, or a wishlist ?

:)

how to get it to properly work, is the art to figure out. :coffee:

I liked your mock up very much, it is definitely on the right track for what I am after.

Personally I would prefer the comments to be hidden completely from the home page view, I like the little icon used here to indicated the number of comments..
http://www.latartinegourmande.com/

Perhaps where and how many comments appearing could be another setting?

And I would want to strip out the Avatar and other forum stuff from the main post, so it is literally just the image, and XXXX amount of text (ACP settable preferably!! :D )

Do you have any coders in place, or is it something that requires funding, etc.

I suppose I really want a WordPress install, but I hate WP and absolutely LOVE Xenforo.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Essentially what you are asking for is Xenforo without the forums which is unlikely to be a winning strategy.
You say you hate Wordpress, but for your needs, as you have discovered, it is the tool.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Essentially what you are asking for is Xenforo without the forums which is unlikely to be a winning strategy.
You say you hate Wordpress, but for your needs, as you have discovered, it is the tool.

NO, it isn't

I don't *not* want the forums, I just want a very different layout on the front page pulling a feed from one forum.

Fortunately others here get what I am talking about, please move along now, your comments are not in any way helpful.

Alrightly then. Your vitriol is hardly helping yourself.

Basically what I want is for my Xenforo to look and act like a WordPress or other blog software installation.

Here are some beautiful Food sites I think are the ultimate of what I would like to do...
http://www.latartinegourmande.com/ (Wordpress)

Wordpress is excellent.
If you don't like it, i'd expect latartinegourmande.com should make you reconsider.

Have you considered something like a WordPress bridge that would use both platforms, Kim? This is the one I know of, and it would allow you to have a WordPress front page with the same logins as the forum and connectivity back to XenForo posts. I don't think it integrates with XF's alerts, unfortunately, but I just set up a personal site with WP and it has a notification system that can be added. Hope that helps a bit. I may have to look into this a bit more, since I'd ideally like to do something similar for relaunching my own site. :)
(p.s. that La Tartine Gourmande site is really nice!)

Well, since you don't want to use WordPress, I'm curious whether the showcase add-on by bobster65 would work for you. Maybe it can be modified to load on the front page. It is still blocked but maybe some CSS work could be done. Now, I'm thinking images of the prepared food would be available. Once you click on the image then you can get the recipe, FAQs, etc in tabs you control ....

Here is a showcase I'm tinkering with to see if it is useful for my sites.

http://www.tuxreportsdebates.com/community/showcase/

Isn't Ellie pretty? LOL. OK. That was off-topic but she's next to me nudging me for some playtime. At least you can see that clicking on the images brings up an "article" style ....

Reactions: Kim
Well, since you don't want to use WordPress, I'm curious whether the showcase add-on by bobster65 would work for you. Maybe it can be modified to load on the front page. It is still blocked but maybe some CSS work could be done. Now, I'm thinking images of the prepared food would be available. Once you click on the image then you can get the receipt, FAQs, etc in tabs you control ....

Here is a showcase I'm tinkering with to see if it is useful for my sites.

http://www.tuxreportsdebates.com/community/showcase/

Isn't Ellie pretty? LOL. OK. That was off-topic but she's next to me nudging me for some playtime. At least you can see that clicking on the images brings up an "article" style ....

Actually that is pretty interesting :D

Will have a closer look, Bobster does good things I know.

Alrightly then. Your vitriol is hardly helping yourself.

Wordpress is excellent.
If you don't like it, i'd expect latartinegourmande.com should make you reconsider.

latartinegourmande is a gorgeous site, obviously professional coded to do that, I have no doubts WordPress can look very pretty, and as the #1 Blog Software it is obviously outstanding for some people. you however are missing my point completely, in that I do not like USING wordpress.

At... all! Nor do I want a blog site, I want a forum that looks like a blog on the front page.

I do not want to use WordPress, Please stop insisting I do so, it is very annoying, I have had a WordPress food blog that I haven't touched for 2 years as I dislike using the software so much.. this is not an opinion I have come to without experience or research.

ps.. vitriol.. lol hardly, you would know it if I was employing vitriol.

Have you considered something like a WordPress bridge that would use both platforms,

Thanks Kurt, but I don't want to use WordPress, even with a bridge to Xenforo, I am absolutely sure it is possible to get Xenforo to do what I want now I have talked to a few people.

Yes the latartanegourmande site is absolutely stunning! Her photography is amazing, if I had the money I would do one of her food styling courses!!!

The Add-On that Erich linked to earlier is looking exactly like what I am after, so I don't want any more recommendations to use WordPress thanks.

Bobsters Showcase Add-on is another that is very promising, if it could be made to work on the front page, it would be another to really consider.

Thanks for the input all :) if there are any other Add-ons I might not be aware of that do the same sort of thing, I would love to hear about them.

Many Thanks.

Reactions: vVv
You are still around ? I thought you left Xenforo.
I'd keep your ideas on MSN, as I doubt they'd stand up to even cursory examination here.
Did I hurt your feelings? Because I don't really care :).

If my ideas wouldn't even get a 'cursory examination' (I assume by the likes of you, but really, your suggestions are either plain idiotic, or completely illogical) I wouldn't be paid to do styles for people, or paid to help design the UI for custom add-ons. Nor would I be asked for advice or help with add-ons by the developers I work with, nor would feature suggestions be taken seriously.

Then again, I couldn't give a damn what you think or say, most of the time I don't even view the idiocy that spews from your mouth like vomit from a drunk. I only do when someone points out yet another stupid post by you :) (Like this one).

Did I hurt your feelings? Because I don't really care :).

If my ideas wouldn't even get a 'cursory examination' (I assume by the likes of you, but really, your suggestions are either plain idiotic, or completely illogical) I wouldn't be paid to do styles for people, or paid to help design the UI for custom add-ons. Nor would I be asked for advice or help with add-ons by the developers I work with, nor would feature suggestions be taken seriously.

Then again, I couldn't give a damn what you think or say, most of the time I don't even view the idiocy that spews from your mouth like vomit from a drunk. I only do when someone points out yet another stupid post by you :) (Like this one).

Classic.

Forsaken is a highly valued contributor and resource provider to the Xenforo world, and a good personal friend, and business partner. - Attacks suggesting otherwise are very immature.

Now, can you boys take the love fest elsewhere.

Thank you!

Mods, you can close this now if you wish, I have the answer I was seeking... which is

Yes it is perfectly possible, and there is an Add-on under development, should be done end of Jan.

Or..

I might be able to modify Bobster65's Showcase Add-on - which is what I am currently exploring, it is looking pretty possible at this stage!

Thanks very much to all the positive contributors to this thread.

Top Bottom