1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 XenForo google - request for too much information

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by dlinstedt, Apr 1, 2016.

1. dlinstedt

dlinstedt Member

I have a question. I'm using this plugin:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/external-accounts-extended-paid.68758/page-25#post-1054356

I contacted the developer (see the last message / post), and basically they said XenForo controls what and how much information is requested by Google using OAuth for login.

My members are complaining that it is requesting "too much" information (including all their friends, images, etc...)

My question to XenForo is: is there any way to ask the Google API for less information to be shared?

Thanks,
    Dan Linstedt

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It would require changing the scopes requested in xenforo.js directly. We're actually only requesting the basic "plus.login" and email values, though plus.login does give access to friends by default (https://developers.google.com/+/web/api/rest/oauth#authorization-scopes), though you are given the option to remove that. We don't request images or anything like that though.

3. dlinstedt

dlinstedt Member

Hi Mike, thanks for the awesome and fast reply. May I make an enhancement suggestion? (I don't like modifying any of the core-code that ships with the product). I'd rather have an option switch in the Admin CP that lets me choose "basic" instead of "plus.login" - but I understand if this is super low priority.

Perhaps I missed something in the Admin CP? You say there is an option to remove that? Where?
    Thanks! Dan

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I was referring to the Google authorization popup there. You can't remove the other bits, but you can control what circles are accessible.

5. dlinstedt

dlinstedt Member

Thank-you again Mike for an incredibly fast reply. Suspicions confirmed: Google wants to own all the data in the world...