XF 1.4 xenForo "Distribution Groups"

Foxtrek_64

This is hopefully a fairly simple question...

In Microsoft Exchange, you can set up Distribution Groups. These are email addresses that do not have a mailbox attached to them, but instead contain pointers to several mailboxes. In my mail client, I could send an email to staff@example.com and email would automatically be routed to bob@example.com, joe@example.com, and sally@example.com.

Is there any kind of built-in functionality for this in the xenForo messenger or should I turn to plugins for this?

In the conversation system? There is no such built-in functionality. You can include multiple people, but there is no shortcut for including a group at once.

I believe its by xenmods. @Daniel Hood
Thanks but it doesn't do exactly this. If I recall there's another add-on that does it though. My add-on, Conversation Essentials, has a similar feature where user's can create groups of people and quickly add them as participants but it doesn't work with the user groups determined by staff (@moderating doesn't work for example). I could create a group specifically for my use called (moderating) and it'd work but nobody else would be able to use it without creating the group for their account as well.

Thanks but it doesn't do exactly this. If I recall there's another add-on that does it though. My add-on, Conversation Essentials, has a similar feature where user's can create groups of people and quickly add them as participants but it doesn't work with the user groups determined by staff (@moderating doesn't work for example). I could create a group specifically for my use called (moderating) and it'd work but nobody else would be able to use it without creating the group for their account as well.

Hmm... I'm looking for something global and permissions-based. It may be worth it to just sit down and write my own plugin. My staff groups are fairly small (no worry about hitting the user limit), so it could probably just be as easy as having my plugin look for a recipient, perhaps starting with a special char, and if it finds it, just run through a for each loop and remove the group tag.

In psuedo code:
Code:
for each (user in group)
{
    Add user to recipient line
}

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and move over to the plugins section of the forum as this has moved off-topic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom