XenForo Development Release - Feedback

Adam Howard

I wanted to point out that I very much appreciate the way development here takes their time in releasing XenForo.

Nothing seems rushed or pushed out.

We're not given release upon release which gives people time to evaluate and adapt to each release. This seems to be very helpful in debugging. The current beta's are fine example as we're given more than enough time to bug hunt, which helps guarantee a more stable product in the end.

The development shows an encouraging willingness to adapt modern technology, while still keeping the foreground idea of keeping backward compatibility, when possible.

The code is handled with care when releases are released. That is to say, there is more real code and less "patch work".

I'm maybe not using the correct terminology, but think of the development like a road... Some developments have more "potholes" where they basically seem to "patch and pray" and XenForo doesn't do this, which is a good thing.

Having experienced with other developments, I was really expecting a lot more issues in migrating to 1.2 and was very pleased to find that has not been the case (allowing me to run it "smoothly" even while in beta on my live site). This is something even my community members have noticed in comparison to our past experiences.

This all comes down to the code being cleaner, but more importantly released responsibly.... even in beta releases.

Keep up the good work (y)

I agree. The devs have done an exceptional job. And I'll extend that to another staff member who I regard as the backbone of xenforo which is @Brogan - Was glad to see him return and he's back doing what he does greatly providing top notch support relieving the devs to get on with what they do best. An exceptional team (add Jake Bunce in there also) who provides excellent support. Great Job Devs Brogan and Jake. (y)

I couldn't agree more. And I love your analogy of the road with pot holes and praying. So very very true. I think the term you were looking for is regressions. Nothing more annoying having old bugs keep coming back.

Just for fun and to see if it was possible...

Installed XenForo 1.0.0 and successfully upgraded it to XenForo 1.2 beta 5 without issue.

This is fine example of how stable releases are and how smooth the upgrade process is even when in beta.

I agree. The devs have done an exceptional job. And I'll extend that to another staff member who I regard as the backbone of xenforo which is @Brogan - Was glad to see him return and he's back doing what he does greatly providing top notch support relieving the devs to get on with what they do best. An exceptional team (add Jake Bunce in there also) who provides excellent support. Great Job Devs Brogan and Jake. (y)

Agree.. we need a world wide @Jake Bunce & @Brogan bank holiday! hip-hip-hooray!

Top Bottom