XF 1.4 XenForo Copyright with target="_blank" is legal? how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafass

I would like that the link of the copyright open in a new window.
It's ok?... how can I do that? or the simple target="_blank" is not permit?
Thanks for your replies, really appreciate it.

You can alter the styling and position but the copyright text and link cannot be changed.
It must also remain clearly visible, so no altering the colour to match or be similar to the background.

You can use the extra_copyright phrase to add your own copyright.

As per the terms of the license, you are not permitted to alter the copyright in any way.
You can alter the styling and position but the copyright text and link cannot be changed.
I'm customising my theme and I like the dark colors,
Note that nothing is beign altered in the copyright. absolutely nothing.
so, Something like this is ok then?:
OHFyXdo.gif

Sorry for my questions, I just don't want to broke the laws..

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, because as I said I'm not altering anything in the copyright.
You said "You can alter the styling" and thats what I´m doing. (in the theme)
The policies then should have some kind of table with the accepted relation-tolerance between font-colors / backgrounds.. 0.O
Because now I don't know what is the perfect color..
this?
tirM7X3.png

or this?
sMzN1Y7.png

or this is perfect?
eS7sE0m.png

I'll go ahead with my customisation, and I will not disturb more with this weird questions. (I'm very sorry)
I'll buy 2 or 3 licences more the next year for some projects I'm thinking. I'm very happy with xenForo. (It's fantastic)
If in my side there are something wrong, please let me know. I'm willing to made all the necessary changes to satisfied the policies and agreements of the licence.
Happy new year, my best wishes to everyone in 2015! (y)

Because now I don't know what is the perfect color..
Having the text fade in and out so it is at times not visible is clearly not acceptable, based on my previous comments.
I'm not sure how you could ever have assumed it would be.

Of the three images in your post above, the lowest one would be acceptable.

It must also remain clearly visible, so no altering the colour to match or be similar to the background.

It must also remain in the footer, IIRC, from what you've posted before. :)

Does adding a target attribute really alter the copyright? As I understand it, the copyright refers to

a) The text: Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
b) The link: http://xenforo.com

Neither of those are altered if you add a target="_blank" attribute to the a tag. What it alters though is the behaviour of your browser when clicking at the link. Can this be copyrighted? I have doubts.

The ToS also doesn't really make clear what is allowed and what not.

All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.

It doesn't state what the copyright actually refers to (link & text or the complete HTML structure) nor does it explicitly state in which ways the copyright can't be altered (because apparently you can style it with CSS). What if you use Javascript to add a target attribute to the a tag? Technically, everything is still there in it's original form but the browser of users would add a target attribute. Does this mean you have violated the ToS?

Also, I know a case where at least one person translated the whole copyright notice and he told me Ashley was aware of that and apparently it was ok. Couldn't tell if he was lying, though.

I'd say this should be allowed based upon a normal person's interpretation of the License text.
If you can change the style, surely you can define the window the link opens in.

In my humble opinion, this would not stand up in court with the current wording of the license.

Personally, I don't care, especially since IIRC "target" was depreciated and now considered invalid HTML.

That interpretation would be incorrect.

As already stated, it is not permitted.
Brogan, how can you say that? If a normal person interprets it that way then so would a court, they will come down on the side of the website owner naturally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom