xenforo.com server

Anton_Bodryachkom

Hi xenforo.com team , would you please share what kind a machine this forum runs on and what is the server config is set , thank you in advance , iam amazed how fine it works , speed especially

Last edited:
Only Mike would know the exact setup, but AFAIK its a softlayer server, running a standard lamp stack with elasticsearch and apc for opcode caching, nothing special, as it should be able to run on even basic shared hosting with no issues.

It is definitely in Softlayer. In any event, I have never seen a XF forum run badly on any server. Even on servers that were previously slow with other forum software, XF seems to be very peppy.

1 x 3.0 GHz CPU Cores, CentOS, 3GB RAM, 30GB SSD , and not very have with perf ,with siteground.com . very long 1st bite . Memcache on

Is it a latency issue, perhaps? Are you trying to access it from outside the US? If so, there is likely going to be at least some very minor delay.

Depends on the size of your forum, of course, but you really shouldn't have any performance issues with those specs.

Jeez softlayer is expensive

I thought linode was pricey for VPS, but softlayer definitely beats it

I thought Linode was one of the least pricey since they doubled the RAM on their plans.
My last host, I had 2GB of ram, and 8 vcore for 38$ per year (weloveservers)

Problem was the service. When they decide to maintenance without telling us at 4pm, which took 4 hours, I was pretty unhappy

When we were nullrouted and were down for 19 hours, and they said they were "working on it" every time I asked (every hour)

Switched to linode for better service.

What advantage does softlayer have over linode?

I had a server in softlayers. They notice me when one of my HDD smart is showing some errors.

They do have some ddos mitigation. And it's better then AWS.

Sound like i need to switch from siteground . 240$ for 3 month for 1 core , 3 ram 30 ssd . Any recomendations ?
For server setup it depends on what you need theres quite a few dedicated servers for goodprice i recommend, robot.your-server.de/order/market this one im planning to move too as for vps servers id suggest looking at webhostingtalk

My last host, I had 2GB of ram, and 8 vcore for 38$ per year (weloveservers)

Problem was the service.

$3/mo. for that? That's exactly why you had problems with the service. Hosting is a very much "you get what you pay for" game. Every hosting company has largely the same costs (i.e. the price of servers, equipment, bandwidth, support, etc. don't vary much), so when you see one that is 4 or 5 times cheaper than the others, you have to wonder why. Something has to give somewhere...either the support, or the equipment, or whatever.

$3/mo. for that? That's exactly why you had problems with the service. Hosting is a very much "you get what you pay for" game. Every hosting company has largely the same costs (i.e. the price of servers, equipment, bandwidth, support, etc. don't vary much), so when you see one that is 4 or 5 times cheaper than the others, you have to wonder why. Something has to give somewhere...either the support, or the equipment, or whatever.

They were renting boxes from colocrossing and couldn't actually fix anything themselves :P they also barely spoke English

Its fine for a school project but I wouldn't ever use it in production again

Linode has had 100% uptime except for one 4am scheduled reboot which took under 30s which they warned me days in advance

Their disk io, CPU, and network are almost perfectly consistent due to how they manipulate xen to prevent abuse

Oh hell...Ha ha!! That's terrible!
Yeah... it was

Quite a few webhosts that don't offer dedicated hosting do that exact thing... rent out a bunch of boxes from like... ovh or something, and then drop webservers and resell the webserver space

Top Bottom