XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

Each developer would have a review page (profile) where costumer can write comments about their work, support, and skills.

That doesn't mean anything.. Heck I saw developers at vBorg that had a GREAT track record.. then BOOM disappear off with everyone's money one day. Closed down the server and was gone... actually he spent his money on his girl friend and got a new flat.

Apps stores are the future.
Hopefully Xenforo will deploy a great "Apps Store" and make developers and admins happy !

Maybe... but there are a lot of apps, that will not be allowed on stores or have a lot of restrictions.

Such as jailbroken IPhones. If they use apps, they get busted. So for that market they won't touch an app store unless it's a private one with less restrictions.

There are some add on's I would be willing to pay 1k for.

You must be rich :p

Maybe... but there are a lot of apps, that will not be allowed on stores or have a lot of restrictions.

Such as jailbroken IPhones. If they use apps, they get busted. So for that market they won't touch an app store unless it's a private one with less restrictions.
Explain the second sentence if you could in relation to jailbroken iphones, mine is (jailbroken) and I have no problems with any free or paid apps from both app store and underground sources. So who gets busted. I'm lost lol :-)

Explain the second sentence if you could in relation to jailbroken iphones, mine is (jailbroken) and I have no problems with any free or paid apps from both app store and underground sources. So who gets busted. I'm lost lol :)

Well last time I used the app store with a jailbrokes phone, they basically messed it up. I guess they do some checks or something. So I had to re-jail break it again.

Yeah they can't (legally) do that (anymore)...in the us anyways the courts ruled it's the end users decision and if they are willing to void their warrant that is there business. Also it does matter which jailbreak you use or if you created your own ispw or not. If you used someone else's that could be your problem right there.

The thing I worry about ( not for me personally ) is if there is an appstore I would assume that xf would have to act as an intermediary and accept the payments and deploy the download for the purchaser. The problem is if a user returns something and they get a cut of it, they now have to deal with bookkeeping and account balancing and percentages and who gets what back and it could be a real mess for them as well as if they choose to honor a return under terms an author sees fit, who's will decides the fate of the credit in question? These are technical issues and logistics problems and at least for now and probably for a while that K&M don't need to deal with as they have big shoulders right now.

I keep coming back to this idea that an apps store for xenforo would be huge.
I think it could be a vBulletin killer over time as it will attract developers.

Any others LIKE this idea ?
Mike / Kier ?
Any other opinions ?

I like the idea. Since this software is commercial and is supposed to be a core platform for communities, then opening up Xen to developers by giving them a way to either give or sell their work can only help spread Xen and make it more popular. Or would you buy an iPhone now, if you knew you couldn't get all the apps for it?

xenDach

XF should certainly have an App store. Apple, but also Firefox shows its a big success to have a one click install store.

I truely think that the forum software platforms that do not offer promotion for commercial addons, will eventually loose out on commercial plugins.

Commercial coders will have much more to gain on IPB where currently the marketplace promotes commercial software, than on vbulletin which prohibits the promotion of commercial software.
XF is somewhere in the middle, as it lacks a marketplace and an App store.

IPB will be adding an App store in the near future. I believe that IPB as a whole will see a large benefit from that in a few years, when it has attracted a large number of commercial addons to its platform. And if the App store is done well, then I believe this will substantially increase IPBs market share.

I agree that an app store like functionality would be a huge boon to admins and commercial dev alike. Regarding the complexities of how to deal with refunds:
It may seem harsh, but I'd say just Don'T do refunds. The buyer needs to read the reviews, and decide if the cost is worth it.

The big question is whether they could do a 1 click install process like that and have it work. Phones are substantially different as it's a totally controlled platform where nobody changes the underlying code, and the App store has VERY tight controls on the submission process. Tight control == Labor intensive.

The IPB Marketplace was actually met with a very mixed reception from Suppliers of Skins and Modifications.

Not everyone loves it tbh. It has actually contributed to a number of people no longer supplying product for IPB.

There could be a system like this that worked well, but trying to compare an App shop for a phone to forum software doesn't really make sense as they are completely different.

A much more sensible analogy would be the Wordpress system...

I would love to see an in ACP direct import of skins/mods/widgets etc for xenforo, but I am not sure how it would realistically work.

If it worked similar to Wordpress but better, it would be cool.... so long as individual sales are still able to be "approved" or not by the supplier, and this is the big problem... basically you have to hand over all control to a third party.

Reactions: gib
Guys, I would be careful if I were you - using the word "App Store" right now....because Microsoft recently objected and disputed to the App Store trademark.

I've said it before on other threads but Kier and Mike have stated that a better system for add-ons is planned.
It's just going to take some time to implement as the focus currently is on the core software.

I've said it before on other threads but Kier and Mike have stated that a better system for add-ons is planned.
It's just going to take some time to implement as the focus currently is on the core software.
I find it interesting that IPB uses the software that they sell for their marketplace. They hit two birds with one stone. And if I read it correctly they are planning to do the same with their coming App store.
Hopefully Kier and Mike will develop something for their add-on system, that can also be released.

I find it interesting that IPB uses the software that they sell for their marketplace. They hit two birds with one stone. And if I read it correctly they are planning to do the same with their coming App store.
Hopefully Kier and Mike will develop something for their add-on system, that can also be released.

I mentioned this several times about mike building some kind of downloads system for the resources here and then sell it as a product. It will kill 2 birds with one stone which I also stated several times. :)

Of course, the core product is key here at the moment and I'm sure when v1 gold is out they will work on something to house the add-ons here

I would like to see a marketplace for paid mod's and themes. Even a "paid request" for paid mod's and themes.

Actually, the idea is for xenForo. I wanted to ask if its possible to create a System for the Addon/Modification Section which will inform the Users, via email or within the forum, about changes or updates?

Top Bottom