XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

I hope this is the right place for this, but if not, please feel free to move it to the proper place.
I'd like to suggest some enhancements for how the site handles add-ons.
For starters, sometimes its difficult to know if I have the latest version of an add-on. Some type of versioning and release/update date for the add-on thread would be very useful. I could conpare it to what I have in my admin panel. Even better is if the URL for the add-on queries the release thread in some way and notifies me on my admin panel that an update is available. This would seriously rock.
As for suggestions, if there were some way for well-respected developers to take on a project, then the thread could be moved from a suggestion, to in development, which would allow for collaborative development and beta testing by those most interested. The added benefit is although the developer community is highly capable, its also pretty small right now. It would keep two people from working on the same suggestion independently, but also enable them to work together collaboratively.
Just my two cents (which I understand might not be worth as much with a declining dollar...)

A better system is planned for handling add-ons and resources in general.

It's just a matter of Kier and Mike finding the time to code it.

When is XenForo Going to Have a Dedicated Add-ons Site like vb.org?
They feel scattered to me as well.

There are 95 addons on December 20, 2010 22:24 EST.

I think someone should take the time and categorize them.
Temporarily a Stickied Post could "List" all the
Maybe this is the first possible use for Xenforo Pages !!!!!!!
:)

Ideally xenforo.com would install Jaxel's wiki pages and we could keep the Addon list up to date.

Note: a good way to see the popular addons is to list the Addons forum by "# of replies" or views (in descending order).
or list them in terms of "First Post Likes".

I'd volunteer to keep the page up to date :)

I think this has been mentioned before and I am almost sure it will continue to be mentioned more....

I believe Kier and Mike have said they will be looking into tidying up the mod section after they get xenforo released.

What we forget is this software is still in Beta... We are so used to Beta's being buggie and really noticeable when in Beta, but Kier and Mike have produced a Beta that is running better than a lot of Gold releases... but there is still work to be done.

Why not give them time to get it Released before slamming them because the mod section isn't finished.. Would you rather them stop working on the xF and work on the mod section first? Really, think about it.

I have faith that they will complete xF in record time... and when they do get to the mod section of this site they will give it the same attention and care as they did for xF.

Jamie

So ... because Mike and Kier are making Xenforo .... an organized / categorized list of Plugins is a bad idea ?
What's wrong with someone keeping a Xenforo Pages Page with a Categorized Plugin/Addon list to save new user's time ?

Why does xenforo have to have a different site for mods just because vb does, people forget to realize this is xenforo not vb, things willl be different, have some patience.

I just think it's a bit early to be concerned with add ons. They have xF to work on, they have a lawsuit to deal with, they have families and such, couldn't we give them until xF is released before we start to think about how badly the add ons are 'scattered' around?

Until then, if you want to help organize it, why not throw it up on a site you own and point it to the different mods on this site? A master page linking to all the mods here... of course it's a lot easier to just click this linkie.... but that's my opinion..

Jamie

I think people are hoping for some organization. It doesn't have to be a different site.
In fact, I don't want it to be a different site.
@Vborg there were some handy features such as being able to TAG modifications, Click Installed. See which mods are more popular. etc.

I just think it's a bit early to be concerned with add ons. They have xF to work on, they have a lawsuit to deal with, they have families and such, couldn't we give them until xF is released before we start to think about how badly the add ons are 'scattered' around?

Until then, if you want to help organize it, why not throw it up on a site you own and point it to the different mods on this site? A master page linking to all the mods here... of course it's a lot easier to just click this linkie.... but that's my opinion..

Jamie
I agree and also the fact that its just the two of them as developers... so things will take time.

I think people are hoping for some organization. It doesn't have to be a different site.
In fact, I don't want it to be a different site.
@Vborg there were some handy features such as being able to TAG modifications, Click Installed. See which mods are more popular. etc.

Think about it though... Let's look at what Kier and Mike have given us for a forum platform... ok? We all agree it's cutting above anything on the market now right?

So, why not give them the time and some patience to see what they will deliver for a mod community? Don't ya think they will impress us once again?

No one disagrees with you that it will one day need to be organized... but it's premature to think about it now when the main software isn't even out of Beta yet....

Jamie

I just think it's a bit early to be concerned with add ons.
The paid forum members are very interested in addons.
I think people are interested in xenforo and its addons as many feel the core product is working quite well.
So I dont feel it is too early to be concerned with addons.

Until then, if you want to help organize it, why not throw it up on a site you own and point it to the different mods on this site? A master page linking to all the mods here
I already volunteered to do it in a sticky thread in the addon forum.
This organization would be for New users such as Neutral Singh - to respect their time. I myself know most of the Addons. So do you. We are talking about new members.

The paid forum members are very interested in addons.
I think people are interested in xenforo and its addons as many feel the core product is working quite well.
So I dont feel it is too early to be concerned with addons.

With this point, we will agree to disagree.. :)

I already volunteered to do it in a sticky thread in the addon forum.

You could start a thread just like the Show us your XF thread and just keep the first post updated at all times... As far as I know there isn't a Edit time limit on this site.

I myself know most of the Addons. So do you.

How did we learn? :)

Jamie

Digital Doctor could create a page on his webspace and make his list there:p

IMHO it wouldn't make sense, to create a "big add-on" like on vb.org for the modifications & styles area, while we have the beta phase...
They should spend there time with developing xenforo...
Once it's gold i'm sure that there will be a nice solution

If the xenforo core product is shoddy and becomes compromised who do you think will take the heat because they focused on tidying the resource area? I'm one for a downloads system being implemented for the resources so that it's clean, tidy and very manageable to post our resources but the primary goal here is for the core product to become stable (heck it's already stable) but refined and developed to an even higher standard.

If the path remains focused we will soon see a downloads system implemented here but I for one would like to see the focus still remained on the core product before anything else is touched upon. It'll happen that I'm sure, and when it does I'm sure the resources will be something special and have that touch of innovation we have been blessed with here. A little patience is what's required.

I dont want the devs making a vborg type thing, as people said, they have bigger fish to fry.
I also think new users (not myself) would benefit from some organization and quick explanation of what all the Addons do (and don't do).

Top Bottom