XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

vb.org may be a thingy to look into in the future but atleast there should be something to rate, tag, log the add-ons to keep a track their progress or version upgrade... i think this should go hand in hand developing the forum... sooner the better...

Why have two communities? Coming from a more IPB than vBulletin background, we can just leave our resources here. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Why have two communities? Coming from a more IPB than vBulletin background, we can just leave our resources here. I don't see what's wrong with that.
Agreed, I personally like the way Magento does it:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect

They use a connect system so you just go to your Admin CP and enter the addon name and it auto downloads and installs. You can search through products on their site and users can put them up for purchase.

Agreed, I personally like the way Magento does it:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect

They use a connect system so you just go to your Admin CP and enter the addon name and it auto downloads and installs. You can search through products on their site and users can put them up for purchase.

Not only that, though. If Kier wanted, he could either reorganize the styles and hack boards or even have a downloads add-on like IPB.

Not only that, though. If Kier wanted, he could either reorganize the styles and hack boards or even have a downloads add-on like IPB.

Yuh I agree completely, and as stated before if anything is to happen it won't be during the beta stages of XenForo. I would support a download market place within XenForo, but I don't see the need for another site.

Hey everyone,

Apple shows us that there is a good way for individual developer to make money - Apps Store
Youtube shows that by vloging you can earn money -Google Adsense

Becuase, I really appreciate the solid work devloper provide us without anything in return
Why not create a new way for individual web-developer to make money by selling their Adds

What are your thought, idea, suggestion, and/or obstacles

Please Share

Hey everyone,

Apple shows us that there is a good way for individual developer to make money - Apps Store
Youtube shows that by vloging you can earn money -Google Adsense

Becuase, I really appreciate the solid work devloper provide us without anything in return
Why not create a new way for individual web-developer to make money by selling their Adds

What are your thought, idea, suggestion, and/or obstacles

Please Share

One thing that was looked down in vb.org was having Paid Mods in there. An implementation of donations by paypal was made, but .. after several hacks, I have yet to get even 1c :) Other people might have had more success.

If XenForo would be really serious about this, they would implement a "XenForo Addons Store" that would let hackers submit their addons, styles, and resources, with a suggested price, and the users would be able to browse the addons and download them. To make everything easier the charging should be done by XenForo and not the hacker, with the respective processing fee deducted.

And now.. I'll let my imagination fly a little.

The XenForo AddOns Store should not be a Web Application here, that download and upload to my forum is really boring and annoying. It should be integrated right into the admin control panel. Then after I buy an AddOn, I would have it right away in my installation ready to install and to disable anytime I want. In a similar fashion, I can just update all my AddOns through my ACP, pretty much how updating applications in my iPhone works. Add a reviews system so people can leave opinions and make sure that they don't end up buying something they cannot use.

An AddOn does not work or is in conflict? Maybe a 1 day return warranty enforced.

Let the developer put the price to his mod/resource, and let the market moderate that. Some mods will be free, some developers would release a free version and a paid one. Some would choose the 1 dollar option, some would go for the 20 dollar option for the mod.

Signs that the market is accepting these ideas are the success of the iPhone App Store, the Android App Store, the new Mac Store, the Google Apps MarketPlace... even the fact that Wordpress auto-updates itself is just being one step ahead of installing easily from a central location.

prices should be reasonable too. I don't want to pay $200 for an integrated gallery.
Well, I really don't think that XenForo should mandate the price or to force the developers for prices to be reasonable. If someone wants to sell the gallery for $200, why not? For me, that is incentive for other developers to come up with a $20 solution (and believe me, people will). Right now it seems the opposite, people release things for free, and when someone new wants to implement the same thing they just don't do it because there is already a free solution and "why bother?". Instead, we could have options and benefit from the competition. The market will self-moderate this, if the developer is not selling for $200 because people are not willing to put up with it, they will have to drop the price. If the mod is so awesome and valuable that it is worth that much, then, it would be nice to pay the developer for their effort.

However, we need a frame of reference here, if the software (XenForo) costs $140, why would people expect to sell modifications for a high price? It almost makes no sense that you would pay $140 for the thing and then another $140 for a simple mod (but hey, vbseo might be an example that proves me wrong).

Some enterprise features might be the exception, people might we willing to pay a lot of money for the uber-advanced features, like .. say ... "single sign-on, multi-forum interaction, ldap and active directory integration, sphinx search, cassandra cache integration, etc"

Lately I've been marveling at the idea of a XenForo "App Store". Apple has brought about such a revolutionary concept, and they're not stopping with iDevices, with the recent opening of the Mac App Store.

I think such an add-on community for something as revolutionary as XenForo would go perfect with the atmosphere that XenForo fosters -- fresh, new, cool. Not only would it bring something new to the forum industry by being one step ahead of the competitors, it would also open the doors to a larger base of add-ons and developers, perhaps something that can easily compete with vB.org (which, right now, is no easy feat).

If developers can't name their own prices then it will never work. I wouldn't sell styles at an addon store if someone else gets to put a price tag on my hard work...

The biggest problem with PAID addons is 80% of them disappear. Which means you get NO further updates, NO Security fixes, NO Money back.. nothing. You are stuck hoping to find a similar mod to replace it with.

I learned my lesson the hard way SEVERAL times, so right now I steer away from paid mods. I want to support developers, I just haven't found a reliable one or company.

The biggest problem with PAID addons is 80% of them disappear. Which means you get NO further updates, NO Security fixes, NO Money back.. nothing. You are stuck hoping to find a similar mod to replace it with.

I learned my lesson the hard way SEVERAL times, so right now I steer away from paid mods. I want to support developers, I just haven't found a reliable one or company.

You have a better chance of getting a premade mod and having them update it as opposed to having a developer create a custom addon (cost lots more than a premade addon) and then them NEVER updaiting it again without being paid. And if you hire ANOTHER developer he will charge you tons of cash just to update someone else's addon.

Premade addons are the way to go if they (the developer) have a good reputation. Also with premade addons you have a better chance of security flaws and bugs being found and fixed.

If developers can't name their own prices then it will never work. I wouldn't sell styles at an addon store if someone else gets to put a price tag on my hard work...
You are the one who put down the prices for your own hard work
the costumer decide if they want to pay for it, just like any other market

One thing that was looked down in vb.org was having Paid Mods in there.

I wouldn't say it was looked down upon; when I was on staff there, we were seriously interested in the opportunities priced resources would offer to the community; but it was a logistical nightmare in terms of liability and the overall effects it would have on the community which had its roots in a completely volunteer, coder-to-coder type of interaction.

Of course, the popularity of vBulletin changed the user base at vBulletin.org as well as the fundamentals of extending community software. I think it would be a smart idea for XenForo to adopt some sort of system to allow developers to host (or advertise) paid solutions to extending the software in the future. But in my opinion, it is still much too early for this...the software hasn't even reached a "stable" version yet nor has an active developing community been established.

I think the first step is enhancing the ways free modifications are distributed and also developing an avenue for coders to establish themselves here in a similar way vB.org does it. Right now, Add-Ons here are just threads with attachments...I don't think that will continue to work as XenForo continues to progress.

Top Bottom