Other XenForo App for both ios and android under developing

truonglv

Hello Developers,

I am working on XenForo App (iOS and Android) which using React Native. The project has started some days. It's will be free for all board owners :D

There are some details:

XenForo version support:
  • 1.5.x
  • 2.x.x
Requirement: The forum must be install this add-on: https://github.com/xfrocks/bdApi (available for both XenForo versions)

XenForo modules support:
  • XenForo Resource Manager (in idea)
  • XenForo Media Gallery (in idea)
Third Parties add-on support:
  • Currently no add-on in list
XenForo Theming support: In idea this app will allow board owners custom their app through Admin page :D (So coool :eek::eek:)

So I create this thread to invite all developers who will contribute to develop this app and make it faster processing :D

Here is some screenshot of progressing. Hope that I can release an alpha version in next month with basic features yet.

Attachments

• Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2018-11-25 at 12.10.21.webp
    Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2018-11-25 at 12.10.21.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2018-11-25 at 12.10.07.webp
    Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2018-11-25 at 12.10.07.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2018-11-25 at 12.13.03.webp
    Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2018-11-25 at 12.13.03.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 190
Are you going to use the new XF 2.1 API (for 2.1 obviously) going forward or continue with the BD version?

If you don't release the source, the app is totally useless.
Because missing support of third add-on, if an user has many add-ons, can't develop it separately.
My suggestion is to release the source and sell it at high price.

Is bdApi actively maintained? Is a version for XF 2.x on the way?

If not - wouldn't it be a better option to rely on the core API introduced with XF 2.1? Or are there some limitations preventing that?

I'm guessing, for example, that updates of XF might interfere with bdApi, or vice versa? Who will patch any issues? With the introduction of the new update features I'm also guessing that people will update both faster and more often. Could this be a problem?

Just some thoughts :)

Last edited:
Is bdApi actively maintained? Is a version for XF 2.x on the way?

If not - wouldn't it be a better option to rely on the core API introduced with XF 2.1? Or are there some limitations preventing that?

I'm guessing, for example, that updates of XF might interfere with bdApi, or vice versa? Who will patch any issues? With the introduction of the new update features I'm also guessing that people will update both faster and more often. Could this be a problem?

Just some thoughts :)
Yes. I recommend to you download directly resource from here: https://github.com/xfrocks/bdApi (for xenforo 2.x should be use branch xenforo2)

The problem I see with going entirely react is that there is going to be a huge disparity in features between web and app. Little to no add-on support. Which to me if people want that limited experience it'll be best to just use Tapatalk or something which despite it's huge drawbacks at least is somewhat maintained and tried and somewhat true across lots of devices and such.

I considered going down this road, but the level of maintenance, whew...

Best of luck @truonglv ! Id like to see a roadmap if you have time as well curious about the core structure, feature set, limitations, etc.

Or you could include a 'load in browser' options for alerts. I use this with Pushover. When I tap the alert it opens Pushover, then immediately opens Safari and brings me to the full site out of app.

I've was thinking about it a while back, a customised version of Pushover just for forums/XenForo could be a great median between web only and full app. The problem with Pushover is that it's too expensive/too difficult for the admin to bare the cost, and difficult for users to setup. Once setup it's ace though, pure alerts and load the mobile site complete with add ons.

The only possibility is to put hands on the wallet, as I am doing, and resign myself to spending 10,000 euros.
The few developers of XenForo app are not reliable and/or do not provide useful solutions to the admin, since an app can give advantages to a forum only if you can save all the add-ons that the admin, by web, has developed.
I would avoid open source solutions. In this situation, the developer would not be obliged to give professionalism to his work and the same @truonglv, who is undoubtedly a good programmer (I don't deny his skills), after he and I found an agreement on the base of several thousand euro, he left me without even warning me, I had to contact him several times on skype to make me say "I have no time, I'm sorry".
Now, if one is not ready to assist you even through an important payment, imagine if he can be willing to assist you for free.
The only thing is to put hands on the wallet. Stop.

Last edited:
The few developers of XenForo app are not reliable and/or do not provide useful solutions to the admin, since an app can give advantages to a forum only if you can save all the add-ons that the admin, by web, has developed.

I'm not so sure that delivering third party functionality is critical for everyone.

Tapatalk has been quite successful even though they barley deliver core functionality. I think it would be sufficient if a mobile app can provide everything that's available in core to begin with - would be a huge leap forward. Just so that all of us that are currently suffering through the horror that is Tapatalk could switch to something else. I believe there's quite a few boards that offer Tapatalk support and I'm pretty sure everyone would switch in the blink of an eye if there's an option available.

Without any intention to discourage and with an intent to understand, how would it be significantly different from what built-in xF mobile interface already offers... I think, push notifications was a major USP of these apps... now it's built-in... IMHO the xF mobile interface is already pretty robust... especially, 2.1.x series...

Without any intention to discourage and with an intent to understand, how would it be significantly different from what built-in xF mobile interface already offers... I think, push notifications was a major USP of these apps... now it's built-in... IMHO the xF mobile interface is already pretty robust... especially, 2.1.x series...

Native is always faster. There's a reason people carry on with Tapatalk.

I also wish they'd settle for the web page, but they don't.

Top Bottom