Implemented XenForo AdminCP - Options is a mess

Mikey

Bear in mind that I have add ons installed, but is it just me, or do options in xenforo not seem to be in any order whatsoever?

xfoptions.png

Here is my suggestion, we have an orderly list, so alphabetical, or something, and also.

We have for example

Xenforo Options - Default XenForo Options
Additional Options - Add On Options

This way, I don't have to scroll through XenForo options in order to find the options for an add on. I know we have a search feature inside the options page, but this doesn't mean you should assume I use it.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The options aren't (currently) precisely ordered so they will appear slightly different on each forum.

You can though enable debug mode and edit the Display Order for each option if you wish.

You can though enable debug mode and edit the Display Order for each option if you wish.
Thanks for telling me, I will possibly do that due to my need to see it all neat etc, however a user should not be expected to know how or even be inclined to do this, it should be right by default. I know this is beta but a lot of the answers I see right now are "do it yourself" kind of ones.. hence this is a suggestion :)

Well each option does have a display order priority set, it's just that some of them have the same value which is why they sometimes appear in a slightly different order.

Saying it should be "right by default" doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will be happy with the alphabetical order that you prefer.
Some users might prefer the more frequently used options to be first in the list so making the order to suit everyone will be impossible (as we've seen from numerous other threads with regards to layout).

In addition, if you install any add-ons which add to this list then the chances of them all being in alphabetical order are going to be slim as it will depend on the value each mod author decides to give.

I'm not trying to devalue your suggestion, just stating why it might be difficult to put things in an order which suits the majority, or even for that order to be maintained once add-ons have been installed.

Well each option does have a display order priority set, it's just that some of them have the same value which is why they sometimes appear in a slightly different order.

Saying it should be "right by default" doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will be happy with the alphabetical order that you prefer.
Some users might prefer the more frequently used options to be first in the list so making the order to suit everyone will be impossible (as we've seen from numerous other threads with regards to layout).

In addition, if you install any add-ons which add to this list then the chances of them all being in alphabetical order are going to be slim as it will depend on the value each mod author decides to give.

I'm not trying to devalue your suggestion, just stating why it might be difficult to put things in an order which suits the majority, or even for that order to be maintained once add-ons have been installed.

And that is what he is reporting back, they have the same value so they flip flop around. It's in development stage, so it's reasonable that a user suggestions to consider ordering them - the devs can pick an incremental order for them so from now on you don't have to look around for the options (muscle memory fail) or are forced to use the filter to find it.

I never understand why feedback that sounds negative is always crushed down so much here and explained with non-relevant arguments.

I think in the future users should be less nice and not give suggestions pointing things out, but just go straight to a bug report saying the order ids are the same so the list is all over the place.

I never understand why feedback that sounds negative is always crushed down so much here and explained with non-relevant arguments.
Crushed down?
I explained as clearly as I could why the problem happens and also provided instructions on how to resolve it.

Care to clarify the "non-relevant arguments" statement?
Which part of my posts(s) weren't relevant?

I also said in my original response "The options aren't (currently) precisely ordered".

in addition to the ordering issue, i like the suggestion of keeping the addon stuff separate.
as it is, they can appear anywhere in options, or they can be tucked away in applications, or in tools... after installing a mod i frequently have to hunt them down in the acp. i wish there was an 'addon' tab and addons were encouraged to reside there.

in addition to the ordering issue, i like the suggestion of keeping the addon stuff separate.
as it is, they can appear anywhere in options, or they can be tucked away in applications, or in tools... after installing a mod i frequently have to hunt them down in the acp. i wish there was an 'addon' tab and addons were encouraged to reside there.

I agree with you on this! I think the add-ons should be separated, in a second list below the main options or have their own tab, but however it's done, they should be separate from the core options.

Edited to add: The more I think of it, the more I think there should be an Add-on Options link under the Add-ons item in the left menu. It should be:

• List Add-ons
  • Install Add-ons
  • Add-ons Options
This would keep the core area of the ACP neat and tidy.

Jamie

Exactly, under options, I wish addons were forced to "Additional Options".. Example

xf-addonoptions.png

Why would you want to have a separate place for options from add-ons when they can be fully integrated into the system? Besides which, if you want to create additional menu groups, add-ons can already do that.

I agree with you on this! I think the add-ons should be separated, in a second list below the main options or have their own tab, but however it's done, they should be separate from the core options.

Edited to add: The more I think of it, the more I think there should be an Add-on Options link under the Add-ons item in the left menu. It should be:

• List Add-ons
  • Install Add-ons
  • Add-ons Options
This would keep the core area of the ACP neat and tidy.

Jamie
As a add-on coder, i'm interessted in this and open for suggestions (how to make it in the feature).

This is my point of view:
I have several add-ons, which are extending the registration (welcome thread, welcome conversation,..)
These add-ons have options (where should the thread be created, which user should create it,etc..)

If a add-on need now to add 1 option, why should i create a completly new option group "ragtek welcome user conversation, where you have only 1 option???
Wouldn't it be more logical to find this settings in the xenforo registration options?

Why would you want to have a separate place for options from add-ons when they can be fully integrated into the system? Besides which, if you want to create additional menu groups, add-ons can already do that.
i think my issue with it is consistency. with the freedom to integrate anywhere into the acp disorganisation follows. i have mod options/menus all over the place, and not always in a logical place. just because somebody has the skill to code a mod it isnt a given they have the good judgement to put their options where people would think to look for them. more often than not they dont even tell you where to look and you have to hunt them down.

As a add-on coder, i'm interessted in this and open for suggestions (how to make it in the feature).

This is my point of view:
I have several add-ons, which are extending the registration (welcome thread, welcome conversation,..)
These add-ons have options (where should the thread be created, which user should create it,etc..)

If a add-on need now to add 1 option, why should i create a completly new option group "ragtek welcome user conversation, where you have only 1 option???
Wouldn't it be more logical to find this settings in the xenforo registration options?

I understand what you're saying, but I also agree with what dieketzer just said.

With the number of add ons to grow as we get older, and xenforo gets more exposure, not grouping the add ons options in a group, keeping them away from the core product will become hard to mange I feel.

If you created a mod I was using and I needed to set an option in that mod, I would go looking under that add ons options. For me, it doesn't matter if you're extending the core or not.. I am dealing with your add on, so I should go to that group for it's settings..

I would say one option would be to give us the ability to tick a box at the top to only list core items or only list add on items, but this wouldn't work under your example because your add on option is listed under a core area..

As time passes, and more modders come onboard, grouping things all together mixing core and add-ons will become a problem, but this is my opinion. :)

Jamie

Possibly some visual indication that an addon is installed?

The altered templates have a visual indicator. Right now there is no indication at all what items are stock and which are add ons.

Addon option sections can have very inconsistent naming to say the least - it makes the standard options section look messy. Also, when users are looking for an option they would generally know beforehand if it's a core option or in an addon, so it reduces the difficulty in finding said option slightly.

Or just make a way to search for options (not just groups) - I've often found myself going into the database just to find what section an option is in.

Top Bottom