Implemented XenForo AdminCP - Options is a mess

Mikey

Bear in mind that I have add ons installed, but is it just me, or do options in xenforo not seem to be in any order whatsoever?

xfoptions.png

Here is my suggestion, we have an orderly list, so alphabetical, or something, and also.

We have for example

Xenforo Options - Default XenForo Options
Additional Options - Add On Options

This way, I don't have to scroll through XenForo options in order to find the options for an add on. I know we have a search feature inside the options page, but this doesn't mean you should assume I use it.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Or just make a way to search for options (not just groups) - I've often found myself going into the database just to find what section an option is in.

Ah! This ventures further outside of this thread, but I like this suggestion. In IPB they have a Live Search option in the ACP that was awesome for finding setttings, features and such.. a real asset for the admin of the site.

Jamie

Why would you want to have a separate place for options from add-ons when they can be fully integrated into the system? Besides which, if you want to create additional menu groups, add-ons can already do that.

As has been mentioned before, Add on coders while they do a great job, some of them put their options everywhere. Some add ons add whole new tabs, I don't need that (though I congratulate the author on being knowledgeable enough to do that), and for all the others, they're sitting willy nilly in no order whatsoever in my main options. It's hard to tell with new features being added all the time whether it's an add on or a new XenForo feature (and you don't want me mistaking the new 'order a pizza from the acp' add on for a new XenForo feature, and reporting in the bug reports forum that this pizza has too much cheese :p).

A separator in the options page where add on options go, or a new page for add ons would be best for ordering it all, for the sake of muscle memory if not nothing else.

I agree that the main system options can get *really* hard to find things in when addons get mixed in over the years. You end up scrolling through a ginourmous list with things that aren't always named in a logical manner. My vB ACP has become a major PITA to use if I want to set some core functions because it's been so long since I set it originally, and it's so mixed in with all the plugin "noise" in the ACP "Options" drop down that "I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!" <- Said in the voice from the voiceover in Thomas Dolby's song "She Blinded Me With Science"! :)

I agree that the main system options can get *really* hard to find things in when addons get mixed in over the years. You end up scrolling through a ginourmous list with things that aren't always named in a logical manner. My vB ACP has become a major PITA to use if I want to set some core functions because it's been so long since I set it originally, and it's so mixed in with all the plugin "noise" in the ACP "Options" drop down that "I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!" <- Said in the voice from the voiceover in Thomas Dolby's song "She Blinded Me With Science"! :)

I believe I mentioned it before somewhere that the Options 'filter' should be extended to support the options within the parent options. So it's not just 'feeder' options, but 'feed timeout' finds it for you as well ..

Top Bottom