XF 2.3 XenForo 2.3 Beta 1 now available. What's next? What's new?

It's finally here! Today we are pleased to mark the next major milestone towards a stable release of XenForo 2.3 and this time we need your help!

As per the announcement XenForo 2.3 Beta 1 is now available to all licensed self-hosted customers. We'd very much appreciate your thoughts, your feedback, and your uncanny ability to break things in ways we can't even imagine. But, as ever, please do not even contemplate installing it on your live forum at this point. There will be bugs; some of which we know about and are yet to be fixed, and others which are yet to be discovered. No support is provided for Beta releases aside from saying "we told you so" and advising you to restore from a backup! 😉

Please for goodness sake, take a backup.

Now, while all of that is out of the way, you're probably wondering what the process looks like from here and what's new.

What's next?​

Our aim for the next few weeks, starting today, is to showcase a number of features we have been finalising since our last 'Have you seen...?' in November. Most of these are smaller in scope and will be limited to one or two features/improvements per post. At least one of the future HYS posts will outline new features or improvements in our three official add-ons, Resource Manager, Media Gallery and Enhanced Search. These improvements are not in the initial Beta release but they are definitely coming!

There will of course be a lot of activity surrounding bug fixes and feedback. We will continue with pre-release versions through Beta and Release Candidate releases until we deem the release is sufficiently stable. We will of course work towards this as quickly as is humanly possible, but simultaneously work is continuing towards XenForo 3.0! Progress is going so well with XF3 that we at one point joked that it could be released before XenForo 2.3! This of course is not going to happen but, nonetheless, it is shaping up nicely and we'll be excited to show more of that once we are ready.

What's new?​

Direct message search is here!​

If you're anything like me, you might have built up a few direct messages over the years:

1710840900122.webp

That's over 4,600!

Aside from being able to filter based on recipient, finding something from months or years gone by can be a challenge to say the least. So starting with XenForo 2.3 Beta 1 we are making direct message search available.

There isn't a great deal to show you here. It's search. It's the same search system you use to search forums and other content. When on direct message related pages there is a "Direct messages" option in the dropdown. If you're inside a direct message you can even limit your search to finding content within that specific direct message.

1710842859242.webp

Search results look how you expect, surfacing both found content within the direct message (conversation) itself and replies.

1710842915614.webp

Advanced search with much more granular options? Of course!

1710843037080.webp

And that's it for this week! We hope you enjoy your first look at XenForo 2.3 "in the flesh" and, as ever, we appreciate your invaluable assistance in testing and providing feedback.

@Russ do you plan on releasing updates for the Beta on your themes, or just final? I would give this a go on my live site, but the theme would be my only hold up.

That will be sooo nice, once Bob updates AMS and UBS to add XF webhook support. Once a new "Announcement Article" is posted, send email update.

Do they have a limit to the number of webhooks created, or just the 30/second limit?

Not entirely sure. I only know of the actual operation limits per plan (free = 1000)

Posting to Twitter is also pretty easy to set up:

1710951604618.webp

1710951621804.webp

@Chris D I keep track of XenForo files related to media sites to make sure my add-on remains backward- and forward- compatible, and I noticed that a new file appeared in src/XF/BbCode/Helper/XenForo.php. Are there any plans to have some kind of helper for embedding content from external XenForo installs, or is that file an artifact from an earlier iteration?

If there are any plans for XenForo >=2.3 to embed external XenForo content via a media site, I'd like to my add-on to produce forward-compatible markup so that users can always uninstall the add-on and fall back to the default implementation without losing anything.

Not entirely sure. I only know of the actual operation limits per plan (free = 1000)

View attachment 300007

View attachment 300008
Maybe with this people will stop complaining about not being able to get my Tweet Poster addon working, I set that thing up in 2018 or something I don't remember how this works 🤣

@Chris D I keep track of XenForo files related to media sites to make sure my add-on remains backward- and forward- compatible, and I noticed that a new file appeared in src/XF/BbCode/Helper/XenForo.php. Are there any plans to have some kind of helper for embedding content from external XenForo installs, or is that file an artifact from an earlier iteration?

If there are any plans for XenForo >=2.3 to embed external XenForo content via a media site, I'd like to my add-on to produce forward-compatible markup so that users can always uninstall the add-on and fall back to the default implementation without losing anything.

I can't remember to be honest. I will need to test that.

The plan is to include something like that if it's useful to allow users to setup a BB code media site pointing to a XF site.

Trying to update 'Resourses' throws this error
  • ErrorException: Batch install error: [E_WARNING] Undefined array key "limit"
  • src/addons/XFRM/Setup.php:1045

Stack trace​

#0 src/addons/XFRM/Setup.php(1045): XF::handlePhpError(2, '[E_WARNING] Und...', '/home/internt0/...', 1045)
#1 src/XF/AddOn/StepRunnerUpgradeTrait.php(124): XFRM\Setup->upgrade2030010Step7(Array)
#2 src/XF/AddOn/StepRunnerUpgradeTrait.php(73): XFRM\Setup->upgradeStepRunner(2030010, 7, Array, 2030031)
#3 src/XF/Job/AddOnInstallBatch.php(299): XFRM\Setup->upgrade(Array)
#4 src/XF/Job/AddOnInstallBatch.php(91): XF\Job\AddOnInstallBatch->stepAction(Object(XF\Timer))
#5 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(272): XF\Job\AddOnInstallBatch->run(8)
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(118): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#8 src/XF/Admin/Controller/Tools.php(124): XF\Job\Manager->runByIds(Array, 8)
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(352): XF\Admin\Controller\Tools->actionRunJob(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#10 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(258): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Tools', 'RunJob', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(XF\Admin\Controller\Tools), NULL)
#11 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(115): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(XF\Admin\Controller\Tools), NULL)
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(57): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#13 src/XF/App.php(2588): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#14 src/XF.php(532): XF\App->run()
#15 admin.php(13): XF::runApp('XF\\Admin\\App')
#16 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(31) "/xftest/admin.php?tools/run-job"
["referrer"] => string(72) "https://www.international-star-riders.com/xftest/admin.php?tools/run-job"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["tools/run-job"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["_xfRedirect"] => string(108) "https://www.international-star-ride...ons/install-from-archive-complete&batch_id=13"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["only_ids"] => string(3) "400"
}
}

Trying to update 'Resourses' throws this error

View attachment 300007

View attachment 300008
@BIG LLC i think you'll like this with those webhooks.

@Chris D With the finder() functions now supporting class-string<T> syntax, is there any plans of shipping skeleton finders for all XF native entities?
You can pass entity class-strings to the finder methods.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this but I can't work out what it would be - is it trivial to explain?
Largely for backwards compatibility. There are some subtle differences to the way colors are computed with variations enabled (particularly for the mix function, colors are interpolated in HSL and not RGB).

You can pass entity class-strings to the finder methods.
Yes \XF\Finder\ReportComment::class will work, but if you try to use \XF\Finder\ReportComment as a return type or argument type it will error.

Unless you have an addon which extends the above and the Finder was touched before your function.

Which makes troubleshooting confusing to say the least, and dependant on if you have other 3rd party addons installed.

Well it's direct messages. We just need to update that one errant usage of conversations I guess.
In 2.3, did you rename the conversation phrases? Or, just change the text inside the phrases to "direct message"?

I'm working on an upgrade project and I had considered changing the text inside the phrases in anticipation of 2.3, but there are well over 100 phrases I would need to edit...so I may wait.

How can I listen to your advice if you don't take it yourself and are running it on xenforo.com/community ?
They've done this for most other x.Y builds or X.y builds, IIRC. Once they get comfortable enough, they update to it since they run no addons (cept maybe a strictly custom coded one for this site only possibly).

Top Bottom