Xenforo 2.2 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience with social media is that it is fine for general chit-chat, but if you want focussed discussions on a topic(s), a forum works better. I guess a well-structured, tightly modded FB group might do it but I was never happy with how threading worked in FB groups. Long threads get kind of confusing I find vs. similar threads in good forum software.

Good point. Unlike Facebook, forum software like XenForo do not steal my privacy.
Yeah, ummm, about that. You're at the mercy of the people running that site. For all you know they could have opened or created backdoors to access info on your computer or from your browser without you knowing. Many track everything you do on their website and some possibly beyond it through cookies. The list goes on. But you really are at the mercy of that site, not Xenforo.

much better structured discussions

-chris-
Clearly that's not what most people want with the decline of forums and the explosion of other social media outlets. 'Better structured discussions' is also not entirely true as I see many forums that are a hot mess of no structure with their discussions. Heck most people don't even look to see if previous threads on a topic exist recently, they just make a new one without looking. Many make posts that have nothing to do with anything.

Heck a thread can be about Chris Hemsworth and the next thing you know it's talking about Ariana Grande and if Taco Johns is really Mexican food. So I definitely wouldn't say they have better structured discussions. lol

Heck a thread can be about Chris Hemsworth and the next thing you know it's talking about Ariana Grande and if Taco Johns is really Mexican food. So I definitely wouldn't say they have better structured discussions. lol
Depends on how you want to moderate your community.

If you're in a living room with friends watching TV together, does a conversation not sometimes veer off like this? Why not let it on forums? If you don't want it to, move posts.

Then what makes it different when it's done on social media? 🤷‍♂️
More control and ownership of content.

You can tell your friend to shut up or physically tape their mouth closed because he's being an R-word (protected class and probably misgendering as "he").

That said in "your" group, essentially belonging to Facebook, can be deleted by admins above you due to disparaging remarks when this is often acceptable language used on gaming forums.

To delve deeper in the example of gaming forums, you can threaten to kill someone (as it's easily read in context of a specific game), but Facebook may remove it and automatically jail someone for that speech in "your" group.

For 2.1 I think I waited for RC 1 and it was still quite buggy then. I won't update this time until its gone gold or whatever it's called when it's at a stage where commercial release is advised and that won't be for a few months.

As with any beta software (and as the XF dev team strongly recommends), it's best not to use it for "production" workloads/forum.

Testing, sure. Production, no.

Yes, of course. But sometimes developers named "BETA" something that really is 99% ready. And sometime...is an Alpha version :D
And some developers release Alphas claiming they are gold. No particular companies mind but the initials MS are in my head for some reason.

I find, though, that Xenforo is pretty good about following best practices for development cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom