XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big boards aren't considered to be a "niche" in themselves. Big boards represent a growing number of customers. A niche suggestion would be one that would only benefit a small subset of even the largest group of customers.

You clearly have no concept about how long it takes to rewrite forum software like XenForo. That's what XenForo 2.0 will be, a complete re-write. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes months and months. You're being very unrealistic in expecting announcements during the last few months on the release of XenForo 2.0.
This is not how software works.

XF 2 may have deep architectural changes, and significant parts modified. But one thing I can state with confidence is; It will not be a complete rewrite.

Otherwise, XF 2 isn't going to be released for years and years. I would be surprised if a usable product came out inside 2-3 years if XF was being fully rewritten.

Otherwise, XF 2 isn't going to be released for years and years. I would be surprised if a usable product came out inside 2-3 years if XF was being fully rewritten.

Wasn't XF1 written and released in a year? Wasn't that the false front IB hide behind during the law suit?

Wasn't XF1 written and released in a year? Wasn't that the false front IB hide behind during the law suit?
Writing a new product unencumbered by existing code is a very different game to changing an existing product. Plus, it took quite some time for XF to get a number of 'must have' features which where blockers for a number of forums to convert.

Time to get a 1.0 release out the door isn't what I'm comparing to. It is the time to reach feature parity and polish.

I don't think that's obvious at all. I'm kind of expecting it this year (or at least on the timescale that's stopping us from making any big changes to our site for now).

Writing a new product unencumbered by existing code is a very different game to changing an existing product. Plus, it took quite some time for XF to get a number of 'must have' features which where blockers for a number of forums to convert.

I think you'll be surprised how fast XF 2.0 comes out

I don't think that's obvious at all. I'm kind of expecting it this year (or at least on the timescale that's stopping us from making any big changes to our site for now).

I'm guessing at between May and August of this year.

Don't muddy the waters with facts, Brogan. People here love to sell their guesswork as facts way too much. :LOL:

@Mike, May be backbone or stapes.js only for data model events will be used?
And one or two way data-view bindings will be applied manually by XenForo javascript code?
Data model events works ideally for widgets, ajax changed data or any notification data (like ajaxData._visitor_alertsUnread and ajaxData._visitor_conversationsUnread).
And this data can be received not only by ajax requests, but by localStorage/postMessage (cross-tab communication), longpoll/websockets (permanent connection with server for pub/sub).
No matter how this data has been received, but data events will fire updates of the view.

Last edited:
Just going back a bit: we've picked LESS and are using the Less.php (see: http://lessphp.gpeasy.com/) library which is a port of the original project and thus more likely to be maintained and updated. Bear in mind that you do still have access to the standard XF templating system as well. At this point, we have no plans to change the CSS preprocessor.

Thanks for that answer Mike. Some more curiosity, but what parts of Symfony do you plan to use?

Scott

So that meant to me that we have to start from ground zero again.
How would XF 2.0 prevent you from using your current board or make your forum to loss functionality? If you're happy with your current configuration/functionality/features of the forum that you've built throughout the years, then I don't understand how XF 2.0 would change this situation for you. Yes, you will not get add-on upgrades, but you said you have many custom ones anyway, so extend those if you wish. Most developers of their current add-ons would update their add-ons to XF 2.0, so I can't really see the logic in your argument. It's not like XF 2.0 disables/affects negatively on your current add-ons, including their features. If you don't want to move forward, nobody is pushing you to do so.

I'll give an example: Many users are still using Internet Explorer version 8.0, which is dead long time ago. Does it prevent these people from surfing the web? Nope. Would they get a benefit from upgrading to a newer version? for the sake of the argument (Because IE by itself is crap), they will since IE 11.0 would be faster and support more elements on a single website, but they would still be able to surf the web as anybody else.

You gave some examples like Vista to Windows 7, but you forgot to give the example of Windows 98/2000 to windows Vista (Windows Me is not really Microsoft's product, it was a huge mistake sponsored by Microsoft) - it was a complete rewrite by Microsoft, and most stuff from Windows 98/2000 wouldn't work on Vista and beyond.

I think you should do what you do every night. Try to take over the world!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Will Xenforo 2.0 come with a new default style or just this one with major/minor changes?

The default style of 1.x is ok, but not very appetizing.

Please note that we are now formally recommending that you upgrade to PHP 5.4 or newer. Our intention with XenForo 2.0 is to require PHP 5.4 or newer. If you are running PHP 5.3 or 5.2, you will receive a warning when installing or upgrading XenForo.

This is a small change from what we were originally aiming for, but ultimately it's the right decision.

I'm aware some people would prefer us to bump this up to PHP 5.6. Though, realistically, doing that as an arbitrary requirement really isn't going to benefit the code all that much. However, PHP 5.3 and PHP 5.4 both add features which we can benefit from. It is, however, worth noting that from a performance and security perspective, you are likely to be better off running PHP 5.5 or PHP 5.6.

Personally, I think this is a good call. 5.3 is EOL and, truthfully, I think clinging to old technologies to try and appease as many people as possible has made a lot of trouble for a lot of projects, including (and especially) major commercial ones. It's not worth bloating the codebase and being prohibited from using the (very useful) new features in 5.4.

Raising requirements to php 5.6 is not likely to go well. The glacial rate at which webhosts adopt newer versions of php is very scary. There are still webhosts who offer php 4 support, and some that only support php 5.2. It took GoDaddy until mid-last year to stop offering php 5.2 by default. Even a minimum of 5.3 or 5.4 will still cause some headaches, but not like 5.6 would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom