XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the desire to keep the community in the loop and deliver a world class product but at some point in the next 4 or 5 months we need to be closer than a "reasonable way off". 2009 is when the XF devs left IB and yet they were able to have a product released by late 2010. You would think with the added staff and requirements happening while XF 1 was still be developed that XF 2 in its current form is already far more capable than XF 1 was at the same age. Considering some of the code and ways of doing things are surely to be recycled you would think XF 2 is shaping up to be really good.

The fact is when you announce a new product and the new product will require recoding of mods, it slows down development and decisions for everyone else. For me personally, I have about 9 months of coding to do after the release to move my site from vbulletin and get it where I would like it to be before I switch. I don't want to recode the site for XF 1 and then redo it again for XF 2 so I am stuck for now.

I know the XF team is a good one and the product will be great. Users expectations rise the longer it takes to create the product so lets hope XF 2 lives up to the hype.

I can understand the desire to keep the community in the loop and deliver a world class product but at some point in the next 4 or 5 months we need to be closer than a "reasonable way off". 2009 is when the XF devs left IB and yet they were able to have a product released by late 2010. You would think with the added staff and requirements happening while XF 1 was still be developed that XF 2 in its current form is already far more capable than XF 1 was at the same age. Considering some of the code and ways of doing things are surely to be recycled you would think XF 2 is shaping up to be really good.

When they were building XF1 they didn't have other products to support and update, comparing that to xf2 is a bit silly.

The fact is when you announce a new product and the new product will require recoding of mods, it slows down development and decisions for everyone else. For me personally, I have about 9 months of coding to do after the release to move my site from vbulletin and get it where I would like it to be before I switch. I don't want to recode the site for XF 1 and then redo it again for XF 2 so I am stuck for now.

Everything would have had to have been recoded for xf2 even if they didn't announce it, so at least now you have notice instead of a couple months notice that it will need to be rewritten

Everything would have had to have been recoded for xf2 even if they didn't announce it, so at least now you have notice instead of a couple months notice that it will need to be rewritten

Exactly. Even if XF 2.0 was to come out in six months, you would have to wait a additional 6 - 12 months after that to ensure it is stable and the importers are compatable.

It will be out when it's ready, until then you can stay on what ever platform you are on, or move to 1.5, I woul have to believe you could run that safely for another two to three years after 2.0 comes out.

For me personally, I have about 9 months of coding to do after the release to move my site from vbulletin and get it where I would like it to be before I switch. I don't want to recode the site for XF 1 and then redo it again for XF 2 so I am stuck for now.
I am exactly in the same situation and also don't know what to do because it is unclear if it will be possible to use any XF 1.x mods with XF 2.0 or if they will all have to be recoded from scratch.

I am exactly in the same situation and also don't know what to do because it is unclear if it will be possible to use any XF 1.x mods with XF 2.0 or if they will all have to be recoded from scratch.

It's been said at least 3 or 4 times by both Chris and Mike that they'll require at least some recoding to work with XF2, nothing unclear there

When they were building XF1 they didn't have other products to support and update, comparing that to xf2 is a bit silly.

It isn't silly because they have an income from a very successful product. If they wanted XF 2 out faster they could have hired more programmers, but obviously that affect the profit in the end. The point is they have purposely announced the product early and at this point it looks like they will have spent 2 years developing a product. The gain for them is users spend more time paying for an older product that isn't getting as much support. By doing this the expectation for XF 2 will be much higher so lets hope they deliver.

Nothing but love for the dev team, I think they are great, but expectations are really high.

Exactly. Even if XF 2.0 was to come out in six months, you would have to wait a additional 6 - 12 months after that to ensure it is stable and the importers are compatable.

It will be out when it's ready, until then you can stay on what ever platform you are on, or move to 1.5, I woul have to believe you could run that safely for another two to three years after 2.0 comes out.

You know users don't like changes so if I were to move my site from VB4 to 1.5 and then 2.0 it would be piss my users off. Whether it is stable or not I could begin developing on it with hopes of launching to my users in 6 to 9 months.

It isn't silly because they have an income from a very successful product. If they wanted XF 2 out faster they could have hired more programmers, but obviously that affect the profit in the end. The point is they have purposely announced the product early and at this point it looks like they will have spent 2 years developing a product. The gain for them is users spend more time paying for an older product that isn't getting as much support. By doing this the expectation for XF 2 will be much higher so lets hope they deliver.
I don't agree at all - they have 3 top notch developers and they probably don't feel the need to add more at this time and risk losing the tight grip they have on quality, features, and appearance.

I don't agree at all - they have 3 top notch developers and they probably don't feel the need to add more at this time and risk losing the tight grip they have on quality, features, and appearance.

You don't think quality programmers don't exist other than the 3 they have? (I agree they have 3 top notch developers) Certainly quality, features and appearance can be controlled by good leadership which I think they have.

Do you agree the longer development time raises he expectations on the end product?

I guess we can agree to disagree if need be.

You don't think quality programmers don't exist other than the 3 they have? (I agree they have 3 top notch developers) Certainly quality, features and appearance can be controlled by good leadership which I think they have.

Do you agree the longer development time raises he expectations on the end product?

My point was that 3 may well be enough for the team to accomplish the task at hand. They're on their timetable, not ours. They've been quite clear about that all along.

Longer development time raises the anticipation, that's for sure. My expectations were already pretty high. :)

More devs does not always equal faster or better productivity. Especially given the highly dynamic working relationship that MK+D have.

Lets not also forget a good amount of resources each week goes on support and maintenance/bugfixing on the existing products, as well as having real lives and families!

So why are you contemplating change? You said yourself your members don't like change and what you're using now doesn't have these problems it seems you would be more content where you are.

When i said this? And where?
Just i'm saying that actually Xenforo it's better than vBulletin, but has a team of coders high as quality but poor as quantity.

This discussion is largely off topic for this thread, which is about XF2, not a comparison between XF and other companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom