Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

I just finished watching the latest Black Mirror episode Smithereens.

I have three take aways.

1. Andrew Scott is a great actor after seeing him in this and Fleabag.

2. I need to take a 10 day retreat.

3. Maybe this push notification stuff isn't such a good idea and we should scrap the whole thing.

Honestly, nope.

Exploring other options at the moment, but this is a non-starter. While push notifications are important, I think it's crucial that admins do not have to pay X per month for a set of notifications (beyond the free tier) and end users do not have to pay X to use an app (per device) to receive them.

A long time ago I thought it was viable. And, to many, it was. But many more seemed to reject the concept, particularly in terms of the cost to users.

Just visiting this discussion hoping to see this was updated for XF 2.x but I see from the above the answer is no. In my community the push notifications to our mobiles have become quite critical for fast response to reported content. And, with the ongoing nightmare of trying to get emails reliably delivered and not bounced as spam, many users are happy to pay a small outlay for Pushover and I'm happy paying for the notifications, so people can be notified about new PMs.

For reported content I can fall back to SMS texts (admin user account subscribes to report forum, gets email to an email to SMS gateway set up) but it would be a shame to lose the pushover alerts.

I appreciate it's a niche thing Chris, so are there any alternative plugins or ways to go about this on XF2?

If you're using XF 2.1 then your users can use native device push notifications via the official web APIs for push and notifications on the majority of browsers and devices (including desktop/laptop devices).

Unfortunately, if your users are using iOS or Safari on macOS then this functionality isn't available as, inexplicably, Apple are the only vendor so far to not support these emerging standards yet.

Thanks Chris. I am an Android user so that's me sorted, shame about the Apple users though.

I would have thought an XF2 version of this add-on would have been popular but looking back through the discussion I'm one of only a couple of people to ask, so I totally understand you not updating it.

If you're using XF 2.1 then your users can use native device push notifications via the official web APIs for push and notifications on the majority of browsers and devices (including desktop/laptop devices).

Unfortunately, if your users are using iOS or Safari on macOS then this functionality isn't available as, inexplicably, Apple are the only vendor so far to not support these emerging standards yet.
Thanks Chris. I am an Android user so that's me sorted, shame about the Apple users though.

I would have thought an XF2 version of this add-on would have been popular but looking back through the discussion I'm one of only a couple of people to ask, so I totally understand you not updating it.
And they work. My users love them. Nearly all on Google Chrome.

I would like to see this ported to XF2, and now there are 3 people asking for it 😁

just wondering if you are still supporting this addon? as I've been told by by a server admin tech that "Doing some digging, I found the issue is with the pushover addon. When it's connecting to a remote host sometimes that host is sending over invalid compressed data, and pushover fails trying to decompress it. I suggest asking ChrisD, the author, if he's aware of this problem."

ErrorException: gzinflate(): data error - library/Zend/Http/Response.php:612

Code:
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'gzinflate(): da...', '/home/wildbuggi...', 612, Array)
#1 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Http/Response.php(612): gzinflate('\xED}\xEBr\xDBF\xB6\xEEo\xCFS`8u\xE2...')
#2 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Http/Response.php(277): Zend_Http_Response::decodeGzip('\x1F\x8B\x08\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x04\x03\xED}\xEBr\xDB...')
#3 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/XenPushover/CronEntry/Scrape.php(56): Zend_Http_Response->getBody()
#4 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Cron.php(356): XenPushover_CronEntry_Scrape::scrapeForAlerts(Array)
#5 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Deferred/Cron.php(24): XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry(Array)
#6 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_Cron->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999990463257, '')
#7 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999990463257, '', false)
#8 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, 8, '', false)
#9 /home/wildbuggies/public_html/forums/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}

Top Bottom