Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

Plus it can be a bit finicky for a user to setup, downloading the app, registering a seperate pushover account, logging into the pushover site on a desktop computer instead so it's easier to navigate depending on your phone, getting pushover codes, figuring out what to do with the codes, inserting those codes into their account page on each forum they want it to work on, wondering if you did it right and trying to figure out how to test it by getting another user to action a notification...
Didn't want to make an off topic post in the other thread, but in future XenPushover will support a new Pushover feature as outlined here:

http://updates.pushover.net/post/108648717687/announcing-pushover-notification-subscriptions

Should make the process a little bit smoother (though they'll still need a Pushover account).

Also, I guess I should probably add a "test" feature to save people scrambling around trying to generate alerts ;)

Mainly because conversation alerts aren't actually alerts, in the sense that it doesn't use the actual alert system.
Hi Chris any chance you can add alerts for Conversations into this?

I know Conversations don't use the alert system but is there a way you can use a helper to generate a fake alert when a conversation is received?

Thanks

Has the new login feature for pushover been included?

How has this worked for those of you using it? Is the process to set up the pushover account cumbersome for the forum member? Are they balking at paying $4.99 for the pushover app? Do the push notifications received take them to the forum thread that created the alert? What happens with PMs? Those are not created as notifications, only e-mails?

This supports Conversation alerts so somehow xfrocks has managed to deal with the issue:

[bd] Push Notification [Paid]
I never said I couldn't deal with the issue. I just haven't chosen to yet.

Has the new login feature for pushover been included?

How has this worked for those of you using it? Is the process to set up the pushover account cumbersome for the forum member? Are they balking at paying $4.99 for the pushover app? Do the push notifications received take them to the forum thread that created the alert? What happens with PMs? Those are not created as notifications, only e-mails?
It doesn't use the new login flow yet.

The alerts take you to the content, yes.

PMS aren't included yet but they have been requested before.

Set up instructions:
  1. You will get a copy of your user / device key from either your app or from your Pushover account on their website.
  2. Receive alerts :)

Hello @Chris D - just bought this and may seem like a numpty statement, but what's the situation for admin user group key?
I'm a bit stuck on that bit, I've made the group admins on pushover, but don't know what the user key is for and whatnot.. I'd be grateful for a bit of advice if possible please?
is it an API key or a password or something?
Thank you

The "Admin User / Group" key can be the same one you specify in Accounts > External Accounts if you wish.

It's an API key to use the Pushover service.

They provide two types of keys:

User keys
Group keys

A user key is created for you automatically when you create your Pushover account. It is available when you log in, and also available from the Pushover app when you log in.

A group key is something you have to set up manually on the Pushover website:

upload_2015-7-19_15-22-10.webp

It basically involves providing several User keys, e.g. user keys belonging to other users or device names belonging to you. When you do that you get a single "Group" key.

So, as an alternative to providing a user key when setting this up on your forum you can provide a group key.

To hopefully simplify what I've just said a little:
  • A user key will send alerts to all of your own devices
  • A group key can be generated to send alerts to a subset of your devices
  • A group key can also be generated to send alerts to more than one user, e.g. you and your other admins
Whether it's setting up the Admin Alerts feature or setting up your forum alerts, you can supply a user key or a group key.

Fantastic! So well written Chris, it explains it perfectly for me - and hopefully all other users.
Indeed, it's up and running, followed your advise and it's working perfectly - thank you so much for taking the time to write this, I appreciate it immensely...
This is an amazing add-on. Thank you! :)

It has been/is being thought about.

First step, though, some changes to the Pushover side of things coming soon.

Thanks @Chris D. Looking forward to seeing the upcoming changes to Pushover and hope to see Pushbullet added as well - love that they just added end-to-end encryption.

Chris, I've been getting a bunch of errors since upgrading to XenForo 1.5. Initially I thought it might have been the Tag Me add-on as there was reference to this in the error along with Pushover. However I have now disabled that add-on and I'm still getting the errors (though no longer mentioning the Tag Me add-on).

Here's one as an example:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
XenForo_Exception: Missing following state for user ID 2 in user 126 - library/XenForo/Model/User.php:2486
Generated By: Unknown Account, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 /library/XenForo/Model/UserProfile.php(117): XenForo_Model_User->passesPrivacyCheck('members', Array, Array)
#1 /library/XenForo/Model/ProfilePost.php(516): XenForo_Model_UserProfile->canViewFullUserProfile(Array, NULL, Array)
#2 /library/XenForo/AlertHandler/ProfilePostComment.php(39): XenForo_Model_ProfilePost->canViewProfilePostAndContainer(Array, Array, NULL, Array)
#3 /library/XenForo/Model/Alert.php(234): XenForo_AlertHandler_ProfilePostComment->getContentByIds(Array, Object(XenForo_Model_Alert), 2, Array)
#4 /library/XenForo/Model/Alert.php(77): XenForo_Model_Alert->_getContentForAlerts(Array, 2, Array)
#5 /library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php(487): XenForo_Model_Alert->getAlertsForUser(2, 'fetchRecent', Array, Array)
#6 /library/XenPushover/Deferred/Pushover.php(18): XenPushover_Model_Pushover->push(41434, 2)
#7 /library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenPushover_Deferred_Pushover->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999918937683, '')
#8 /library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999918937683, '', false)
#9 /library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#10 /deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#11 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(40) "http://www.seniorgamers.net/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(71) "/threads/thu-20-aug-19-30-rocket-league-fly-me-to-the-stars.2407/page-2"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

The errors started after I had commented on a user's profile post and they then commented back (I'm user ID 2, they are 126). Now of course the Tag Me add-on adds some functionality to profile posts (sends emails if a user is tagged). I wasn't actually tagged but I've disabled the add-on due to it being referred to in the error logs.

I'm not sure why the above error has that particular thread listed as I've not posted in it (nor has user 126) nor have we been tagged/mentioned (though others have been).

I have actually fixed this in version 1.2.0, along with some other improvements...
I look forward to the update. :)

Do you think that the errors are purely down the Xen Pushover? If it's nothing to do with the Tag Me add-on I may switch it back on. Here's an error that I got when it was enabled. As you'll see, it does mention Pushover and I know that sometimes all add-ons mentioned aren't causing the problem.

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
XenForo_Exception: Missing following state for user ID 2 in user 126 - library/XenForo/Model/User.php:2486
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 9:58 PM
Stack Trace
#0 /library/XenForo/Model/UserProfile.php(117): XenForo_Model_User->passesPrivacyCheck('members', Array, Array)
#1 /library/XenForo/Model/ProfilePost.php(516): XenForo_Model_UserProfile->canViewFullUserProfile(Array, NULL, Array)
#2 /library/XenForo/AlertHandler/ProfilePostComment.php(39): XenForo_Model_ProfilePost->canViewProfilePostAndContainer(Array, Array, NULL, Array)
#3 /library/XenForo/Model/Alert.php(234): XenForo_AlertHandler_ProfilePostComment->getContentByIds(Array, Object(bdTagMe_XenForo_Model_Alert), 2, Array)
#4 /library/XenForo/Model/Alert.php(77): XenForo_Model_Alert->_getContentForAlerts(Array, 2, Array)
#5 /library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php(487): XenForo_Model_Alert->getAlertsForUser(2, 'fetchRecent', Array, Array)
#6 /library/XenPushover/Deferred/Pushover.php(18): XenPushover_Model_Pushover->push(41434, 2)
#7 /library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenPushover_Deferred_Pushover->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999930858612, '')
#8 /library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999930858612, '', false)
#9 /library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#10 /deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#11 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(40) "http://www.seniorgamers.net/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(8) "/forums/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }