Xen Notices [Deleted]

We're still on XF 1.2.2 but just found a potential bug. When trying to edit the text of an existing donation it says "changes saved" but then when you go back to it, it's failed to change anything.

As we're not on the latest XF yet you probably don't want to waste too much time debugging it but wondered if anyone else found the same?

Hmm it's slightly weirder than that. I just created a new notification but it sad to "enter valid text" and didn't like something in my text box (it contained 2 links and some text). I deleted the contents of the text box and changed it to just "test" which is accepted but then the actual notice shows the original content with the links, etc that it said was invalid.

It's working (i.e. showing what I want) but something's not quite right.

Are you using the rich text editor? If so, try disabling it and using HTML instead. I had problems too and this got around it and will suffice until Chris has a chance to update it.

@Chris Deeming
Bug Report

User option Notification is dismissible
Whether this option is checked or not it still shows the dismiss button. It also allows you to dismiss.
XenForo Version 1.2.3

@Chris Deeming
Bug Report

User option Notification is dismissible
Whether this option is checked or not it still shows the dismiss button. It also allows you to dismiss.
XenForo Version 1.2.3
This isn't a bug. The cross in a circle isn't a dismiss button, it's the close button, which allows users to hide the notification whilst they are on that page or for a temporary period of time. The time period is controlled by the Time to hide notification when close is clicked (days) setting. When you make a notice dismissable, you will see a Dismiss Notification link at the bottom right of the Notification. Note that this doesn't display on the preview.

@Chris Deeming I know you've got the two issues I mentioned previously noted for when you get time to update this add-on [the birthday privacy issue (users who hide their dob are still flagged up when {birthdays} is used) as well as the incorrect birthday]. Just to let you know that the incorrect birthday one, which previously was saying it was someone's birthday in October when their birthday is in January (presumably some mix up in 10 and 01). Well it's also doing it for October birthdays now in January. I just had a notice wishing someone a happy birthday today when it also displayed (correctly) for them on 16 October. So it seems that October and January birthdays will get all get birthday notices twice.

@Chris Deeming a little issue in the template "notification_edit_public", in the line
Code:
<dt>{xen:phrase play_sound}:
         <dfn>Do you want to display an image in your notification?</dfn>
it should look like
Code:
<dt>{xen:phrase play_sound}:
                <dfn>{xen:phrase do_you_want_to_play_a_sound_with_your_notification}</dfn>

Hello. I am interested in this Addon but would like to know if its possible to set a criteria for a Cookie Notice instead of the default one?!

Yes you can create that.

You can create notifications with any content you like.

Just disable the default cookie notice and create a notification targeted at whoever you like.

Very nice add-on indeed!

You may want to take a look at this. This is the summary of a page where no notification is shown:

26.SELECT *
FROM xf_notification
ORDER BY notification_id
Run Time: 0.000969

27.SELECT notification_id
FROM xf_notification_dismissed
WHERE user_id = ?
Run Time: 0.000485

30.SELECT *
FROM xf_notification
ORDER BY notification_id
Run Time: 0.000999

31.SELECT notification_id
FROM xf_notification_dismissed
WHERE user_id = ?
Run Time: 0.000487

It looks as if some check is done twice.

Hmm odd!

The next version is more than likely to eliminate queries altogether. I just don't have an eta for that yet. The good news is those 2 (well, 4) queries are very light so they're adding negligible overhead on performance.

Just a quick question. I would like to give my upgraded members a notification when their subscription is close to expiry. I found this resource but it doesn't provide a separate notice in the way I would like.

I dont suppose its possible with this resource or likely to be a added feature?

[Edit weeks later] Take that as a no then!

Last edited:
Hi,

is it possible with this addon to display always a notice automatically to all users, who have to confirm their email address until they have done it?

Thanks

Yes it is possible. But only because that is possible to do with the default notices system.

The criteria for setting up notifications is the same as notices.

Notifications can either be dismissed (permanently) or closed (temporary).

If the user is logged in and you mark a notification as "Dismissiable" a text link that says "Dismiss Notice" appears. Clicking this will dismiss the notification permanently. This works the same way as dismissing a notice.

Regardless of logged in status, you can close a notification. That's the close button in the top right corner. The amount of time the notification is closed for can be set in the options for the notification. All this does is set a cookie. So in that scenario, yes, the notification will show up again on a different computer, or if cookies are cleared. There's an option as well I think to set it to 0 which will disable the notification for the current browser session only (it comes back when the browser is closed and re-opened).

Top Bottom