Xen Media Gallery (Media Gallery for XenForo) [Paid] [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am considering buying this....but it really depends on how it replaces some of my key features on my site. One of them is what we call Plogs or Painting Logs. These are a thread created by a user in a which they post their pictures, and members feed back, give them advice etc. It is not so much a static showcase (which we do have also) but a working thread as people progress painting their models.

Looking at your add-on in context I think more likely that a user album would equal one of these threads. So my main questions would be:
  • Can you limit user albums, like one per user? Would I be able to create a master category called painting logs, in which a member could have one album which is effectively their painting log?
  • Can you have discussions on an album, pretty much like how Resources works. In face I did consider Resources at one point but is severely lacks the additional functions for the pictures. Ideally it would be good for Members's to be able to start off with pictures, and then add new ones later which allows them to also post an update (again like Resources). Other Member's can then either reply back to the album discussion or make comments directly on pictures like the current functionality.
  • Option to exclude / promote showcase. I see their is an option to showcase latest pictures on the main forum (option for widget as well?) etc, however many of the pictures we have are work-in-progress which members post in their painting logs. Ideally it would be good to choose which images are showcased.
  • Picture competition :) I have posted in the XMG gallery site, but I would really like a picture competition that utilises XF poll function as well as some other requirements. As mentioned, I would be happy to help provide a functional specification if you like.
  • Finally....as this is more of a would be nice.....an option to convert exist threads to the above mentioned albums with discussions if it was possible.
Cheers

DoN

Can you have discussions on an album, pretty much like how Resources works. In face I did consider Resources at one point but is severely lacks the additional functions for the pictures. Ideally it would be good for Members's to be able to start off with pictures, and then add new ones later which allows them to also post an update (again like Resources). Other Member's can then either reply back to the album discussion or make comments directly on pictures like the current functionality.

No, but here is a suggestion for it
http://xenmediagallery.com/threads/album-discussions.1186/

• There are no limits to the number of albums that could be created (not a bad suggestion, though, and I don't recall a suggestion already being made for that). Also worth noting that categories and albums are different. Pretty much two different types of container for storing media. Some people use categories, some use albums and some sites like using both. Categories can be nested within each other but can only contain media items, not albums. Albums are always user created, top level and not categorised.
  • Album discussions have been suggested but it isn't a current feature.
  • Users can have full control of who can view their albums. Public, private, specific users, people they follow. That would be how they would control who can or can't see their work in progress. They could even have a WIP album (private) and move (using inline moderation! for users!) to either a category you have created for the purpose, or an album of their completed work which is public.
  • Picture contests will probably happen one way or another but there's a few other things in front of it on the list, and it may also tie in with another add-on of mine, Competitions. Nothing has been planned yet, but users of the gallery have requested a picture contest feature and users of the competition add-on have requested a picture contest feature... so some sort of tie-in makes sense. (There is no ETA on this).
  • It has been suggested but it isn't currently a feature. (It probably will be. It's one of the more popular suggestions. Again, no ETA, though).

I haven't decided, yet.

The problem is there are now so many customers and so many suggestions it's hard to know where to focus the attention. First message likes is not a great metric. Nor does it necessarily indicate it will definitely be implemented. One of the most "popular" suggestions has 8 likes. That's such a small number in comparison to the number of customers.

What I will probably need is for the existing customers to be a little bit more vocal about what they want to see in upcoming versions. And by "vocal" that doesn't necessarily mean posting everywhere about everything they might want. But it would be nice if people could go through the suggestions forum and looking for stuff they think is a great idea that would benefit their users, and at least like the first post.

Still not a great metric, but obviously if a suggestion had 80 likes rather than 8... you know what might appear in XMG version 2.2 :)

Ok.....and one final cheeky question.....in what way is your gallery better than sonnb XenGallery? :) I am just trying to compare the two, and wondered if there were key differences.

It's not a question I can answer, really. All I can say is my gallery is the gallery I would want to use as a user. But that's because I like a uniform layout to thumbs, not a fan of endless scrolling, not a fan of masonry layout etc. But that's my personal preference. sonnb XenGallery is a very good, well coded gallery and lots of people like it. Xen Media Gallery is also a very good, well coded gallery and lots of people like it :)

It's not a case of better/worse. It's purely down to personal preference.

I don't really know sonnb's gallery, never tested it. For me it is more like a showcase of lots of photos, users are confronted with. I am pretty sure there are lot of sites which love that.
I chose XMG because of the more hierarchical structure and presentation of the photos and albums, as well as having user albums, a full Photopost and vB albums importer and the awesome support of Chris.

Again, I don't know sonnb's gallery well but am fully satisfied with XMG and would choose it again.

Hi,
it means that you can change by yourself, who can add a media to your album.
it´s for the privacy status of your album.
is this permission for your group not allowed , you can not use "change privacy for album"

Hi,
it means that you can change by yourself, who can add a media to your album.
it´s for the privacy status of your album.
is this permission for your group not allowed , you can not use "change privacy for album"
Thank you, I'm trying to translate it, you just help me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom