WTF is wrong with Firefox?

I can't download with FF anymore :( frikken driving me up the wall.

Still prefer it to any other browser though.... but wahhhhhh this is nuts!

I can't download with FF anymore :( frikken driving me up the wall.

Still prefer it to any other browser though.... but wahhhhhh this is nuts!
Can't download using Firefox? That's a new one.... I can only assume you're having some kind of security program conflict or maybe add-on conflict.

If you're not using a firewall or anti-virus program (not exactly smart, but people do that) or if you have no add-ons.... I would uninstall and re-install.

I've never heard of anyone not being able to download, while using Firefox. I can only assume there is an outside factory beyond the software its self.

Visiting a site, such as XenForo.com is basically downloading the site for viewing.. ie... It ends up downloaded in your browser cache. The download function is "soft of" (not exactly) part of that. So I'm wondering how you're able to even visit this site.

I can't exactly see that as being the browser, but rather an underline issue of your computer (no matter how much you may feel in denial about that).

This has happened to me in the past when I used FF, and clearing the download history normally solved it.

Edit: Apparently it's happened to enough people as well to warrant an article on it: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cant-download-or-save-files

Just tried that with no sucess.. thanks though Jason, will read more, I did read somewhere about reverting it back to factory to fix it, but that is a major PITA for me, as I assume that will take out all my preferences, as well as my passwords etc.

Yes, speed is all that matters. I mean, if you have speed, what else could you possibly want? It might explode in your face, but at least it did so rather quickly.

I prefer to use Chrome for regular browsing and Firefox for development. So far, nothing has beat Firebug. I find that Firefox isn't as resource intensive as it used to be. I think it has gotten a lot better.

Yes Chrome is faster, but I like the UI of Firefox better. I like the default spin box icons of Firefox better and I like text marking of Firefox better. Chrome seems to mark the whole HTML Container rather than just the text, for example like this:

xf.webp

What the heck? And of course as mentioned, Firebug. Firefox also renders font icons smoother while on Chrome the same font icons look edgy. With Chrome, if you use CSS gradients for big areas like the page background, sometimes they are not applied correctly in the sense that you can cleary see a dividing line between colors.

Granted, Firefox loves to occassionally crash for absolutely no reason.

I've never needed to add any special code for Firefox.

I have had to add special code for Internet Explorer. Sometimes Chrome will surprise me and I'll need to add 1 or 2 edits for it, but Firefox has always used web standards.
Well off the top of my head, Firefox doesn't support the "zoom" CSS property... it's not a "standard" one, but IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera support it, and it's quite handy for making stuff that supports retina displays. You can work around it with other stuff, but you need to wrap things in an extra DIV and do some CSS stupidity to make it all work right.

The browser-specific "user-select" CSS for all browsers is "none" when you don't want them to select it, but for Firefox, it's "-moz-none"... so it's like so... that wasted a couple hours trying to figure out why "none" didn't work in Firefox.

Code:
-moz-user-select: -moz-none;
-khtml-user-select: none;
-webkit-user-select: none;
-ms-user-select: none;
user-select: none;

But at least that one was fixed in Firefox 21... https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/user-select But still annoying you have to do it that way for old versions.

I don't keep track of all the Firefox issues I run into specifically, but those are a couple I dealt with recently... I've probably run into 50 or 60 of individually small (but annoying) things with Firefox.

Well off the top of my head, Firefox doesn't support the "zoom" CSS property... it's not a "standard" one, but IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera support it, and it's quite handy for making stuff that supports retina displays. You can work around it with other stuff, but you need to wrap things in an extra DIV and do some CSS stupidity to make it all work right.

The browser-specific "user-select" CSS for all browsers is "none" when you don't want them to select it, but for Firefox, it's "-moz-none"... so it's like so... that wasted a couple hours trying to figure out why "none" didn't work in Firefox.

Code:
-moz-user-select: -moz-none;
-khtml-user-select: none;
-webkit-user-select: none;
-ms-user-select: none;
user-select: none;

But at least that one was fixed in Firefox 21... https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/user-select But still annoying you have to do it that way for old versions.

I don't keep track of all the Firefox issues I run into specifically, but those are a couple I dealt with recently... I've probably run into 50 or 60 of individually small (but annoying) things with Firefox.
I will concede that Firefox doesn't have "hacked code" in mind. They're more direct with standard web code. So I guess I can see why you would have an issue randomly pop up in your case.... I guess its all on what you want, need, and use. Generally, I keep to standards usually.

I will concede that Firefox doesn't have "hacked code" in mind. They're more direct with standard web code. So I guess I can see why you would have an issue randomly pop up in your case.... I guess its all on what you want, need, and use. Generally, I keep to standards usually.
Yeah, in a perfect world we could do what we need 100% with web standards. Unfortunately the reality is if you do that you can't do simple things like box-shadow, border-radius or transform without going into the "experimental" CSS properties. If Firefox's plan is to not support experimental CSS properties, it will die off pretty quickly because websites work better or look better with them in many cases, and in the end users don't care if it's a "standard" or not... they just know websites work better with other browsers.

Yeah, in a perfect world we could do what we need 100% with web standards. Unfortunately the reality is if you do that you can't do simple things like box-shadow, border-radius or transform without going into the "experimental" CSS properties. If Firefox's plan is to not support experimental CSS properties, it will die off pretty quickly because websites work better or look better with them in many cases, and in the end users don't care if it's a "standard" or not... they just know websites work better with other browsers.
I agree. If I was in the lead development there would be a few quick changes.

Ok, I bit the bullet and did the "restore to factory" setting... and still no downloads.

Although interestingly my whole computer seems faster now :o

But still... no downloads in FF.

What the FF!!!

Ok, I bit the bullet and did the "restore to factory" setting... and still no downloads.

Although interestingly my whole computer seems faster now :eek:

But still... no downloads in FF.

What the FF!!!
Could you try this? It's a portable version of FireFox that you can use without uninstalling your normal FireFox installation. Easy way to see if it works with a clean install, without messing with your old FireFox installation.

Top Bottom