Would you still purchase add-ons if PayPal wasn't supported (and Stripe was?)

Would you still purchase from developers if Stripe was used instead of PayPal?

• Total voters
You can set funds to be given daily or you can make it manual too so you get them when you click the button. I dunno where you read minimum once a week.

PayPal don't charge for chargebacks?

Btw does your XPM add-on for Stripe support allow both Stripe and PayPal?

They do it daily, but they only send the charges from a week ago on that day. So if someone purchases something fro me on the 7th, it will be in my bank account on the 14-16th (it does vary). There's no way to get it sooner, that's how their payment system works.

PayPal, you can just withdraw instantly.

PayPal charged me at least £15 for the chargeback, on top of the refund for the original value.

And yes, my XPM Stripe add-on allows for both PayPal & Stripe (It's how I'm using it on XF Liam).

Liam

Stripe take Visa and Mastercard, which are the main debit and credit cards used around the world (to my knowledge).

Granted, there are a few others, but I don't know of any bank in the UK that gives a card that isn't either a Visa Debit or a Debit Mastercard (if you're 11+).

Other countries may vary... Do they?

Liam

Is Stripe an "account" that you can add money to like Paypal? Or is it just the processor like worldpay, sage, etc? As far as I'm aware it's the latter (and is far less of an established brand than Sage, WorldPay, etc).

It's just the processor, the client doesn't use an account, only the merchant. The merchant gets the card details, and sends them to Stripe to charge.

Liam

The merchant gets the card details, and sends them to Stripe to charge.

Not quite accurate. The merchant doesn't necessarily get the card details. The entire process (assuming they're using the checkout.js script) is handled on Stripe servers by Stripe. Even the inputs are in an iframe that points to Stripe

American Express?

Stripe does accept American Express AFAIK. I believe they take Discover too. Though, I don't think American Express is all that popular, there are so many places that don't accept it.

EDIT: Just took a look. Here is what they accept:

With Stripe, you can charge almost any kind of credit or debit card:

• U.S. businesses can accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club.

• Australian, Canadian, European, and Japanese businesses can accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
You can also accept gift and prepaid cards that are one of the above types. You can use Stripe to charge cards of these types from customers anywhere in the world. Depending on where your business is located, you can also charge customers in their local currencies.

https://support.stripe.com/questions/which-cards-and-payment-types-can-i-accept-with-stripe

Not quite accurate. The merchant doesn't necessarily get the card details.

I meant that they are acquired to send to Stripe. Technically, it should be the merchant requests the card details, but still...

My XPM Stripe add-on uses the embedded system, which displays a native form and gets a token... So, the client thinks the merchant is getting the card details, in reality.

Liam

Major USA credit cards, US ACH bank transfer and bitcoin. So, many non-US customers are out of luck with Stripe.
PayPal does not accept/support lots of Indian Debit/Credit cards, Stripe supports more Indian Banks issued cards than PayPal! My Visa card just doesn't go through PayPal as they fail to comply with a required Indian regulatory procedure for card e-transactions, Stripe somehow has taken care of that.

I recently switched from Mandrill to MailGun, MailGun uses Stripe and my payments go through easily whereas Mandrill had some weird processor that didn't even ask for CVV during payment...

We use Patreon extensively and their payment processor (for cards) is also Stripe, has really been great so far.

Overall I hate PayPal due to the restrictions it imposes on Indian users. We can only link bank accounts to recieve funds but cannot withdraw it to/through PayPal, many major cards are not accepted although they are Visa/Mastercard. Its a real headache on sites like XenForo who only accept PayPal. I manage thanks to my co-admim who lives in Netherlands, otherwise I am not sure how I would manage to renew licenses and buy the couple add-ons I bought via XenForo.

I meant that they are acquired to send to Stripe. Technically, it should be the merchant requests the card details, but still...

My XPM Stripe add-on uses the embedded system, which displays a native form and gets a token... So, the client thinks the merchant is getting the card details, in reality.

Liam
I don't know if you're confused or if I am reading you wrong.

I swear just because Stripe has a nifty gadget where you can pay still on the site doesn't mean it's not directly to Stripe. With Checkout.js, you give your card details to Stripe which is saved, the website receives a customer ID to identify you by and this customer ID is used to charge you. When the website charges you, it does not use your card details.

You can manually ask users to enter their details and you pass this to Stripe, but I avoid that to save me a layer of trouble. Plus, Stripe Checkout.js looks damn beautiful.

Stripe is great, especially as a merchant/seller (because it's cheaper than PayPal) but I'd not want to lose PayPal. So, why does it have to be OR? Why can it not be both?

Stripe is great, especially as a merchant/seller (because it's cheaper than PayPal) but I'd not want to lose PayPal. So, why does it have to be OR? Why can it not be both?
The question was aimed at customers to see if they would use a different payment gateway, not at merchants to see if they'd accept one more.

The question was aimed at customers to see if they would use a different payment gateway, not at merchants to see if they'd accept one more.

You seem to be neglecting the fact that paypal isn't just a payment gateway. It's also the equivalent of a bank account/credit card and you'd lose a lot of customers who don't/can't have a credit card.

You seem to be neglecting the fact that paypal isn't just a payment gateway. It's also the equivalent of a bank account/credit card and you'd lose a lot of customers who don't/can't have a credit card.
I dunno if I'm being clear or not but the question was never to drop PayPal. It's just to see how many users could and would pay with another gateway.

Btw, if you can't get a card, you can't have a PayPal. It'll get closed asap

I dunno if I'm being clear or not but the question was never to drop PayPal. It's just to see how many users could and would pay with another gateway.

Well, the thread title is maybe something you might want to fix...?

Would you still purchase add-ons if PayPal wasn't supported

Btw, if you can't get a card, you can't have a PayPal. It'll get closed asap

That's incorrect.

I don't have a credit card linked to my paypal account. My bank account is linked.

As far as I can tell the question was a poll to customers as you say, but appeared to be seller based research. So I believe any discussion spawned by the poll can and should be about both buying and selling.

As a seller I am receiving useful information from this thread. I was aware of Stripe, but didn't really know what it was. In fact I know more about it based on the discussion here than I could get from their website.

Top Bottom