Would you still purchase add-ons if PayPal wasn't supported (and Stripe was?)

Would you still purchase from developers if Stripe was used instead of PayPal?

• Total voters
This was for Apantic but processing PayPal for us is at a higher cost and we lose almost 20% of the money processing it. Yeah, it's that high. We'll still accept PayPal but likely have a gateway charge, and the only reason I see for using it is if you don't have a card and are using PayPal balance like lots of people. Stripe is more convenient for us and honestly faster and less hassle for the average customer.
Are you based outside the U.S? I assume this is a business account? I don't think I've ever taken that big of a hit on a PayPal sale.

But yeah, that's a steep price to pay just to accept web payments.

And looking at their web site, I don't see how they are cheaper when the pay as you go option is identical to PayPal 2.9% plus 30 cents.
There are various hidden costs with PayPal. My experience is that PayPal comes down to 4.5% on average. Also consider that PayPal's currency conversion comes close to highway robbery. This can indeed be around 20% loss.

And you need to calculate that they can freeze your account if you trip one of their bots with an innocent but somewhat extraordinary action.

Granted, PayPal have the same fees for charge backs.

I've accepted both Stripe and PayPal for my add-ons for a while, and most everyone uses PayPal (I'm actually surprised when someone uses Stripe).

However, I'm probably very lucky, because in total across everything, I've only had 1 chargeback...

I do believe Stripe is slightly cheaper, however you do have to wait a minimum of a week for the funds to be in your bank account (which annoys me slightly).

They're a good alternative to PayPal, but people seem to prefer PayPal...

Liam
You can set funds to be given daily or you can make it manual too so you get them when you click the button. I dunno where you read minimum once a week.

PayPal don't charge for chargebacks?

Btw does your XPM add-on for Stripe support allow both Stripe and PayPal?

Are you based outside the U.S? I assume this is a business account? I don't think I've ever taken that big of a hit on a PayPal sale.

But yeah, that's a steep price to pay just to accept web payments.
Yes and yes. We take a huge hit accepting PayPal.

I don't think it's so relevant to have heard of it.
It is usually taken for granted that ecommerce sites generally offer people the option to pay by credit/debit card or by Paypal. So if you choose credit card, do you actually notice or care whether it goes via Stripe, Sagepay, Worldpay, Barclays or whoever.

I'd say it's very relevant in terms of consumer trust, etc.

Also there's a HUGE difference between an established company with a checkable history, a clear online presence, etc using whatever random credit card processor and some guy off the internet providing services for a very niche market using a processor you've never heard off.

No. I mean, PayPal balance is like a virtual card of some sort, think of it that way. You're still paying money. Anyone with a card should have no problem using Stripe too. Easier to get a card than a PayPal account, and you can withdraw from PayPal.
So basically the question "would you.." makes no sense for me (and for others) as it is not a question if we would, we just can't (cause we don't have a credit card).

I'd say it's very relevant in terms of consumer trust, etc.

Also there's a HUGE difference between an established company with a checkable history, a clear online presence, etc using whatever random credit card processor and some guy off the internet providing services for a very niche market using a processor you've never heard off.
Yeah but Stripe is one of the biggest credit card processors online and has expanded to real life retail too

So basically the question "would you.." makes no sense for me (and for others) as it is not a question if we would, we just can't (cause we don't have a credit card).
You don't have a debit/credit card or a bank? How does using PayPal make a difference then? And getting a bank account is easier than getting a PayPal account, for starters it bank accounts have no age limit and have less BS in getting up and running. And PayPal (eventually) requires a bank account to keep your account from being limited. You'll have limits and get completely limited eventually, at least in any EU country and in the US.

Really? How does their market share compare against WorldPay, Sage, etc?
Never used either of them and I've never heard of anyone using either too. If you haven't heard of Stripe, you surely haven't heard of either of those unless you're still living in 2008.

"Hey man, do you accept WorldPay?" Who on earth asks that. I've never even seen modern sites accepting those two payment methods.

Anyway, I can't seem to find exact market share statistics. Can you?

You don't have a debit/credit card or a bank? How does using PayPal make a difference then? And getting a bank account is easier than getting a PayPal account, for starters it bank accounts have no age limit and have less BS in getting up and running. And PayPal (eventually) requires a bank account to keep your account from being limited. You'll have limits and get completely limited eventually, at least in any EU country and in the US.
Probably there is a misunderstanding here.
I do have a bank account but I don't have a credit card. For Paypal I don't need a credit card. I can connect my bank account to Paypal directly without needing a credit card.

My previous question was, if we can use Stripe without owning a credit card. You replied with a no.

That means I can't use Stripe at all.

But maybe there is a misunderstanding here from my or your side.

Never used either of them and I've never heard of anyone using either too. If you haven't heard of Stripe, you surely haven't heard of either of those unless you're still living in 2008.

"Hey man, do you accept WorldPay?" Who on earth asks that. I've never even seen modern sites accepting those two payment methods.

Anyway, I can't seem to find exact market share statistics. Can you?

I think you're maybe confusing processors, gateways, etc. It's not a case of "accepting" worldpay. You accept Visa, Mastercard, etc and Worldpay are then the merchant payment gateway.

Worldpay is THE market leader.

I've vaguely heard of Stripe, most ecommerce sites (that don't use Paypal), use either Sage or Worldpay to process credit card transactions.

You don't have a debit/credit card or a bank?
Stripe supports credit cards and ACH, which is not the same as banks. ACH is again a US system, which does not apply to other continents.
In most countries of Europe online banking and debit cards are the main payment methods. (With the UK being the main exception) There are quite a lot of countries where credit cards are not popular at all and considered unsafe, expensive and a hassle.

Stripe is relatively new on the payment processor market and they are very doing well because they offer great integration. But payment methods are very limited. Paypal has the same limitation except that PayPal is a popular payment method itself.

I prefer payment processors like Adyen which also offer great integration but actually have a great portfolio of payment methods. If you want to receive more payments then make sure that more people can pay you with their native payment method. No matter in what country they are located. Adyen offers 200 payment methods. Stripe has ... 7 or so.
There are various payment processors that offer portfolios similar to Adyen. Though many of them are the old guard and are really bad at integration.

I think you're maybe confusing processors, gateways, etc. It's not a case of "accepting" worldpay. You accept Visa, Mastercard, etc and Worldpay are then the merchant payment gateway.

Worldpay is THE market leader.

I've vaguely heard of Stripe, most ecommerce sites (that don't use Paypal), use either Sage or Worldpay to process credit card transactions.
I'm not confusing them. Visa and MasterCard are payment networks by my definition. To my knowledge, WorldPay is like PayPal and Stripe. If that's incorrect then my point is completely wrong and can be ignored, but if I am right then when I say accept I mean support the gateway. PayPal, for example, is so important partly because a lot of people don't have cards. In the Minecraft industry, kids have PayPal accounts, not cards, and are paid by bank balance so essentially they can only pay via PayPal. That and its dispute system, luck and security. It's so big you have to accept it therefore customers use it therefore more merchants accept it therefore more customers use it, etc... WP and Sage are tiny to my knowledge. I don't think it's the market leader, I've vaguely heard of it

Stripe supports credit cards and ACH, which is not the same as banks. ACH is again a US system, which does not apply to other continents.
In most countries of Europe online banking and debit cards are the main payment methods. (With the UK being the main exception) There are quite a lot of countries where credit cards are not popular at all and considered unsafe, expensive and a hassle.

Stripe is relatively new on the payment processor market and they are very doing well because they offer great integration. But payment methods are very limited. Paypal has the same limitation except that PayPal is a popular payment method itself.

I prefer payment processors like Adyen which also offer great integration but actually have a great portfolio of payment methods. If you want to receive more payments then make sure that more people can pay you with their native payment method. No matter in what country they are located. Adyen offers 200 payment methods. Stripe has ... 7 or so.
There are various payment processors that offer similar porfolios. Though many of them are the old gard and are really bad at integration.
ACH is US bank transfer right? Like SEPA in Europe. I didn't know Stripe accepted that.

But yeah, Stripe only accepts major cards and Bitcoin to my knowledge, maybe a few more like ACH.

Major USA credit cards, US ACH bank transfer and bitcoin. So, many non-US customers are out of luck with Stripe.

Paypal is two things because as well as being an account in it's own right, it also allows processing of credit cards.

Is Stripe an "account" that you can add money to like Paypal? Or is it just the processor like worldpay, sage, etc? As far as I'm aware it's the latter (and is far less of an established brand than Sage, WorldPay, etc).

It seems like you've answered your own question there. Paypal is pretty much essential in certain markets/demographics and even then, you're going to lose a lot of customers who don't have credit cards.

Top Bottom