Working on a convert

iBotPeaches

So I purchased a license about eh 6 days ago. Been working on a dev site with an imported copy of our vB database (220mb) for about 6 days. I've done about 10+ converts with an updated vBulletin 4.0.x copy and ironed out all the kinks.

Now on my current dev copy, I have changed usergroups around with their permissions. I understand that stuff like changing forums, modifying users cannot be saved when I convert the real site. However, if I do this. Will this work?

1) I convert my currently running vB site to Xenforo.
2) I use the import option that retains IDs.
3) I mysql import my settings from my dev install (so I don't have to go through 100 settings again) and overwrite the live copy, changing the settings that require base URL etc.
4) I mysql import my notices/trophies/languages from DEV install etc so I don't have to do that again.
5) I want to do the same for my restructure forums, moderators and admins. However, I feel since there is lots of linked data via mysql that this isn't a good idea. However, I don't wanna have to go through hours of re-tweaking this stuff, as downtime is no fun :(

This just a downside to a software convert?

I've tried this myself, twice. Copying the permissions tables (and related data) from a test install over a live one of the same data. It simply didn't work. I think there was too much interlinked data. :(

That is possible but it's a really dirty thing to do. It is also error-prone.

I always recommend doing the final import from scratch. Use the test forum as a point of reference in manually applying your custom development to the final import, rather than building onto the test forum and taking it live.

Thanks for the opinions. I've been trying to import the data from Dev copy to dev copy in preparation. I can safely take the settings/notices/trophies without any problems.

As for everything else. I will be doing it manually. Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom