• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Wordpress Question...

DRE

How come localhost doesn't work sometimes as a database server host name when installing wordpress? I've installed it before using 'localhost' but just now on someone else's site I had to use the ip address '127.0.0.1'.

R

ragtek

How come localhost doesn't work sometimes as a database server host name when installing wordpress? I've installed it before using 'localhost' but just now on someone else's site I had to use the ip address '127.0.0.1'.
if localhost isn't set in the hosts file, it won't work and you'll have exactly the problem you've described;)

Also if your config file is damaged or you have some strange config entries, it won't work;)
@hoffi 127.0.0.1 isn't always localhost because you can manipulate it :p
eg
change it in your hosts file ( c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or /etc/hosts )
to
Code:
212.53.128.131 localhost
#127.0.0.1      localhost
127.0.1.1      bt.foo.org      bt

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
and check localhost in your browser or check the ip via ping or run a trace to see where "YOUR LOCALHOST" is ;)

DRE

if localhost isn't set in the hosts file, it won't work and you'll have exactly the problem you've described;)

Also if your config file is damaged or you have some strange config entries, it won't work;)
@hoffi 127.0.0.1 isn't always localhost because you can manipulate it :p
eg
change it in your hosts file ( c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or /etc/hosts )
to
Code:
212.53.128.131 localhost
#127.0.0.1      localhost
127.0.1.1      bt.foo.org      bt

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
and check localhost in your browser or check the ip via ping or run a trace to see where "YOUR LOCALHOST" is ;)
Thanks but it's in there. The host file on my computer or browser isn't the problem.

Hoffi

Ah, ragtek, No Professionell changes this. The complete 127.x.x.x subnet is reserved for localhost. Normally 127.3.4.5 should also work.