1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress Question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DRE, Jan 19, 2012.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

How come localhost doesn't work sometimes as a database server host name when installing wordpress? I've installed it before using 'localhost' but just now on someone else's site I had to use the ip address ''.
  2. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member is localhost. Everytime. And localhost is
  3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

4. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

It seems to be a WordPress Issue. I never heard about it... and I use mySQL since... 1998.
  5. ragtek

ragtek Guest

if localhost isn't set in the hosts file, it won't work and you'll have exactly the problem you've described;)

Also if your config file is damaged or you have some strange config entries, it won't work;)
    @hoffi isn't always localhost because you can manipulate it :p
    change it in your hosts file ( c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or /etc/hosts )
    Code: localhost
    #      localhost      bt.foo.org      bt
    # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    and check localhost in your browser or check the ip via ping or run a trace to see where "YOUR LOCALHOST" is ;)
    anonymous likes this.
  6. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thanks but it's in there. The host file on my computer or browser isn't the problem.
  7. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

Ah, ragtek, No Professionell changes this. The complete 127.x.x.x subnet is reserved for localhost. Normally should also work.
  8. anonymous

anonymous Member

you need to specify it in the hosts file on the machine you intend to run wordpress on.
  9. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

How do you do something like that through cpanel or phpadmin?