Woot! Pricing and Release info :D

Kim

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/beta-release-date-and-pricing.3876/

Oh yeah baby!
ohyeah.gif

The license cost for the first 24 hours is $100, $140 thereafter.

After XF 1.0 is released, your 12 month support period starts, which is included with the license cost.

After 12 months, if you wish to continue to receive support, upgrades and bug fixes you will have to pay $40 for every subsequent 12 month period.
If you do not pay the $40 annual support fee for 9 months after the end of the last period, you will then need to pay a reactivation fee which will be greater than $40 but less than $140.

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to buy the license on day 1 for $100 and then pay the annual $40 support fee 12 months after 1.0 is released or, wait until you're ready and purchase the license at $140.
It all depends when you plan to start using the license.

There's huge gap between $40 and $140.It's better to state it clear what the reactivation fee is before we buy the software.

From personal experience of something similar, it's often difficult to gauge what that price should be before seeing what the extent of the "problem" is likely to be, or at least getting an idea of it. Obviously they need the price to be high enough to discourage people from lapsing, but low enough to encourage those who do to come back into the fold.

I'd imagine since it's not something anyone will be dealing with in the near future, that their thoughts and attention are elsewhere :P

Personally i'd think it will/should be around the $80 mark.

Personally I don't think they should even be providing a reactivation option. $140 up front, $40 per year after - that's an incredible value for a product like this given that it will help me create a new online community.

I'm so jazzed about the release of XF. I'm going to buy at least two copies. I hope the owners of XenForo make a fortune.

Personally I don't think they should even be providing a reactivation option. $140 up front, $40 per year after - that's an incredible value for a product like this given that it will help me create a new online community.

I'm so jazzed about the release of XF. I'm going to buy at least two copies. I hope the owners of XenForo make a fortune.

No reactivation is quite harsh on certain circumstances though (a site being closed for a while for instance, or the occasion where someone gets a version they like, stick with it, and then a year later it turns out theres a critical security vulnerability they need to install a patch for)

I think a reactivation option is pretty much essential.

No reactivation is quite harsh on certain circumstances though (a site being closed for a while for instance, or the occasion where someone gets a version they like, stick with it, and then a year later it turns out theres a critical security vulnerability they need to install a patch for)

I think a reactivation option is pretty much essential.

You miss understood. You can always renew after X years, just that it will be more expensive if you renew after 9 months past the expiration date.

You miss understood. You can always renew after X years, just that it will be more expensive if you renew after 9 months past the expiration date.

:P I know, i was responding to the post above mine where the poster said he didn't think reactivation should be an option.

"Personally I don't think they should even be providing a reactivation option."

I was saying that not having the option to reactivate would be harsh, not that reactivation itself was harsh :)

now let's hope there are alerts through email on...

nearing the date of expiry of one year
one day before the expiry of one year
nearing the date of expiry of nine months after one year has passed
one day before the expiry of nine months after one year has passed

so the user can make a decision on when to renew his account!

The one thing I didn't like about vB (aside from what eventually happened w/IB & vB4), was the extra charge if you went x months after expiry before renewing. IMHO, it should be $140 for the license then $40 per year, and nothing more. Everyone seems to forget a lot of communities are for hobby/non-profit, and believe it or not, just $40/year can be a stretch for some. Why make it even harder to stay current with adding yet another fee?

The one thing I didn't like about vB (aside from what eventually happened w/IB & vB4), was the extra charge if you went x months after expiry before renewing. IMHO, it should be $140 for the license then $40 per year, and nothing more. Everyone seems to forget a lot of communities are for hobby/non-profit, and believe it or not, just $40/year can be a stretch for some. Why make it even harder to stay current with adding yet another fee?

Basic business strategy. Bear in mind if you pay the $40 per year you don't have to pay any extra, it's only if you wait 21 months after your last payment of $40 that the reactivation free becomes necessary.

The reasoning behind it is if you make it less attractive to allow your license to lapse, you are more assured of the repeat custom, allowed better projection of profit and cashflow.

If it was created in such a way that once you bought the license you could wait for as long as you like, and then just pay $40 to get back in, then you start having issues - the people who pay it every year regularly might feel a little aggrivated for instance, amongst other business related issues.

Personally I think having 21 months to pay between $40 fee's before you have to pay extra is very generous. I don't know of many sites which could not raise $40 in 21 months. I can't think of any situation where someone can pay for hosting, but not afford less than $2 per month for their licence renewal :p

Just my take on it as a fellow developer, perhaps ashley & the guys have a different reason behind it though =)

I appreciate the work Kier, Mike, and Ashley are putting into XenForo. I just don't think having some kind of reactivation fee is necessary.
vBulletin had it as well, as does IPB (I think).

Its so people consider paying yearly, rather then waiting, and having to pay the reactivation; After the initial sale, they only make money off of renewals after a single customer. 

vBulletin had it as well, as does IPB (I think).

Its so people consider paying yearly, rather then waiting, and having to pay the reactivation; After the initial sale, they only make money off of renewals after a single customer.

No re-activation fee for IPB ;) only the usual yearly fee applies.

I think one of the problem VB have found with their current model is that it'll be a struggle to continue to make a profit from current customers, despite those customers continuing to use up time etc. From what i've seen over there v5 has already been mentioned and they're using things like CMS and Blog addons and "enhanced" support to try to "double dip" as opposed to the XF model of continual fees to support the updating and support of the product.

Personally, I prefer the XF Model =)

I think one of the problem VB have found with their current model is that it'll be a struggle to continue to make a profit from current customers,
Yep, they are constrained by that annual report to the shareholders.
Now that IB got bot by a private company, that's all handled internally and away from the eyes of the public, but the constraint is typically the same. At least once a year you've got to show the boss that you're making a profit (usually a bigger profit than the year or period before), or you're gone!

Personally, I prefer the XF Model =)
+1

Top Bottom