Woot! Pricing and Release info :D

Kim

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/beta-release-date-and-pricing.3876/

Oh yeah baby!
ohyeah.gif

pumping up the IB shares at the end of last year (nearly double), hyping it like it was gold (ha ha ha) then rolling it over again for another 44% gain.
Yer... that is whats shaken even me. Whilst I will likely not convert my primary forum due to user behavioural reasons... I will convert smaller one's and start new projects using xenforo I think... I will watch VB more and see what happens before making larger scale decisions. They need to rebuild the entire core of that product... its over a decade old realistically. Its been hacked to it limits IMHO... and needs a serious rebuild from the ground up.

yeah, exactly, I suppose the reason phpbb is so big is because it's free.

If I were the developers, I'd take a different approach to making money - mods rather then people purchasing the software.

And vBulletin and IPB are also very big and are not free software. Sorry missing your point.

For an upcoming project we are going with Xen due to the fact that it is commercial, i.e the folks who write the software will hopefully earn enough to keep at it full time, thus ensuring we get future releases and rapid turn around on any bugs, read opportunity to enhance the performance of the software, that might crop up. We have put the cash aside and are as happy as room fill of puppies with Imelda's shoe collection at their disposal.

Have posted up on a blog a comparison of the prices of the various major players in the commercial forum game, anyone see something I've missed here, one reader already spotted a slight issue that I've fixed.

Okay to the all important pricing, let’s break it down and shake it all about (all prices are in U.S dollars, and please note I’m talking the standard price of all products here):
Site licence $140, which is pretty good value considering Invision will set you back $149.99 and vBulletin weighs in at $195. So you are a few pints to the good right there.
A yearly maintenance fee of $40, wonder why that isn’t two half yearly payments of $20? – compares favourably to Invision’s $50, 2 x $25 yearly, fee and vBulletin’s insane upgrade fee of $175.

Prices pulled off the various websites.

Not everybody can spend $140 on a virtual software...
rolleyes.png

There was another company, that deals with computer software, they have a deal that young people (13-18) can get their software for £10/program or £40 for the lot.
Just wondering, do your communities create any income at all? Buy within the 24-hour period and you're paying $100 (£65) and if your community earns $40 p/a you're looking at your site paying for itself (bar hosting, of course).

I like the fact that its cheaper than any other forum solution in terms of one-off pricing and upgrade pricing, but I do wonder whether XenForo Ltd. will make enough money to keep it at that price. I'd guess other services will be offered like professional installations and official add-ons to make some extra dollars for the company.

I can't interact with it unless I am on the internet, that makes it virtual, I can't physically interact with it.
If you need to physically interact with your forum software, simply follow these steps:
  1. Print what you see on the screen.
  2. Lay the printed pages out on a table. 
  3. Grease yourself up somehow (you can use lard or petroleum jelly, I prefer butter).
  4.  Jump up on the table and roll around.
  5. Optional: put your clothes back on over the printed pages (you were naked when you jumped on to the table, right?) and catch a bus to the mall.
  6. Eat a Cinnabon.
  7. Repeat.
Another way to achieve physical interaction with your software is to be in the movie TRON. But be forewarned, that's much more difficult than the first method I described.

If you need to physically interact with your forum software, simply follow these steps:
  1. Print what you see on the screen.
  2. Lay the printed pages out on a table.
  3. Grease yourself up somehow (you can use lard or petroleum jelly, I prefer butter).
  4. Jump up on the table and roll around.
  5. Optional: put your clothes back on over the printed pages (you were naked when you jumped on to the table, right?) and catch a bus to the mall.
  6. Eat a Cinnabon.
  7. Repeat.
Another way to achieve physical interaction with your software is to be in the movie TRON. But be forewarned, that's much more difficult than the first method I described.
Or you could just do like steve from Blues Clues and jump in.

Let me just reiterate that while there is not a vB4 importer now, the differences in DB schema between vB3.8 and vB4.0 are negligible. The only really major change is in the way attachments are stored, so it's not going to be an insurmountable task to have a vB4 importer ready for the 1.0 release, if not the October beta.
Gruntled vB4 customers could be xenForo's main market so you might want to push that up on the priority list.

Hmm, I like the idea of encouraging to renew however the idea gives me a feeling of being vendor locked. At one side it is fair that the developers will charge a bit more for temporary discontinued support, However on the other side I feel this encouragement should be created via software updates.

For example, If I end up with having my license temporary shelved(Not used) it could be possible to pay the half price of the license again, This removes a bit of a assured feeling from me.

Yeah... the 20th century called, they want their marketing philosophies back.
:D
Wal-Mart and the huge success of the 99 cents store has proven that old adage dead.
You see famous millionaires in their $80k Mercedes driving out of those 99 cent stores all the time here in SoCal.

but there are things that you can't buy in a 99cent store. And Asda-Wal-mart's selection of single malts is pitiful :D

There's only one time in my life that the "buy cheap buy twice" motto has failed. well actually now I think about it, buying vb4 on pre-sale unseen probably counts as "buy cheap" ;) :oops::D

Quite sad really, it's very expensive for a forum software.

Xenforo should of been affordable, I was hoping in the $50 region :(

You probably throw away $100 a month just on newspapers, magazines, candy, taxis and random coffees to go. But it doesn't seem like that much because you're not paying for them all in advance. :)

well actually now I think about it, buying vb4 on pre-sale unseen probably counts as "buy cheap" ;) :oops::D
Even that I don't complain about, considering it was like $130 or something like that, for a license for the entire duration... that was worth it. Would I pay the asking price now? No... the full price is not worth that purchase compared to IPB IMHO. The pre-sale price.... that was a bargain.

You probably throw away $100 a month just on newspapers, magazines, candy, taxis and random coffees to go. But it doesn't seem like that much because you're not paying for them all in advance. :)
When you put it like that, the cost of diesel today I can buy 1.43 copies of XenForo on a tank of fuel, give or take a line or two of code of course.

Top Bottom