Add-on Wondering if there is a digital downloads plugin / add-on to enable selling digital files off a forum?

tribedude

Wondering if there is a digital downloads plugin / add-on to enable selling digital files off a forum?

Does something like this exist?

And if you want members to sell directly or if you want direct sales yourself there is an add-on that works with Resources:

The above solutions are far too robust and featured for the one simple thing I need to do.

My idea was to sell a pdf file, a coloring book, of our legacy content from tribe magazine in 1996 to raise money for a local hospital here in Toronto because they are getting slammed with covid. We don't sell anything else.

I thought it would be a simple matter to set up our business paypal account so people could hit a buy button (on our forum), pay, and then get a download link in the payment confirmation.

not so simple.

The first two customers didn't get a return link from paypal although we got the money. I sent them the pdf manually afterward. I was hoping for a more automated solution which leads me to ask the question in post 1.

Any more suggestions or tips? Thank you.

Create a new usergroup
Create a new forum that only the usergroup above can access
Create a thread in that forum with the pdf attached in the first post
Create a paid user upgrade that sets additional usergroup to the one you created above (set your price here, make sure you have a payment profile already setup)
Promote in your site, create notifications, etc with links on how to get a paid membership

I think that's probably the simplest way to do what you want.

Create a new usergroup
Create a new forum that only the usergroup above can access
Create a thread in that forum with the pdf attached in the first post
Create a paid user upgrade that sets additional usergroup to the one you created above (set your price here, make sure you have a payment profile already setup)
Promote in your site, create notifications, etc with links on how to get a paid membership

I think that's probably the simplest way to do what you want.
I would concur but make the forum hidden on nodes.

Not looking for developers because there is no budget (that'll stop 'em from DMing me!)

Thanks for the suggestions. The hidden forum idea sounds interesting but by running this promo within the walled garden of my board I will eliminate donations from all those outside it... Hmmmm. Must think about this some more.

Resource Manager is literally a... digital download solution, that's what it is. If you are only looking to provide one file it will still work and you can always use it to add more files later.

What you would do is purchase RM, install it, and set up a paid user upgrade to access the downloads. You can visit the Resources section here to see what it looks like. Here is a file with a download button.
If you only have one file you could create a tab in navigation directly to it, and even rename Resources to whatever you want.

Not looking for developers because there is no budget (that'll stop 'em from DMing me!)

Thanks for the suggestions. The hidden forum idea sounds interesting but by running this promo within the walled garden of my board I will eliminate donations from all those outside it... Hmmmm. Must think about this some more.
You'd only use the hidden / paywall forum for delivery of the file. You'd still do all your file promotion in an ordinary manner.

Reactions: RDR

For your purpose I can't imagine that users would try to steal the file. I mean its for charity. You'd simply give each purchaser access to the forum for 1 day.

Reactions: RDR

You could report those conversations :D, rules of XF
  1. Service and resource providers may not solicit via conversations unless direct communication is explicitly invited.

I'm with @RDR's suggestion since it's a single file.

You could do a simple edit for the account upgrades to display like this.
Before:
xy7rmO2.png

After:
N6p2mP7.png

Linking the "download book" button to an attachment that only this usergroup has access too (like his instructions).

Top Bottom