[WMTech] User Self Delete LITE

[WMTech] User Self Delete LITE 1.1.4

No permission to download

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

User Self Delete (version 1.0.3) - Allow your users to delete their own account

Add-on development was kindly funded by whyweprotest. Please say thank you to whyweprotest by making a small donation. Thank you!

This add-on allows your members to delete their own account. The ability to delete their own account is controlled by a user group permission. If they have...

Read more about this resource...

Yet another useful resource Chris kindly provides. Excellent work as always.

Possible suggestion: For those that are prone to the "Forum Rage" bug. A feature that will greyscale the users posts, and auto remove avatar leaving a melodramatic final post "I'm leaving" really hissyfitting out of control in pre-defined "forum of choice". Or a rage quit button as a lighter option for those that will potential return when they've calmed down. << this suggestion is a bad sense of humor I'm unfortunately cursed with. :ROFLMAO:

Excellent job Chris, as always. :thumbsup:

In the screenshot the description says posts will be renamed to "ImANoob" after 5 days ... I didn't see an option to change this, hopefully there will be???

If you look closely it's the members username for the screenshots. I believe it will still show the username of the deleted member though instead of Guest or something like that.

Thanks... seen.

Ok... so what does it delete then in regards to their account? I mean, does it remove their username from the database? If so, wouldn't that named association of existing posts inherit OR cause some type of issue if that username becomes registered again? Or is this purely a soft delete function, and once the cooling off has ceased, their username is still there, but the profile itself doesn't exist, nor can it be accessed any further, or that username used again?

Just trying to understand before I give it a try, that's all.

If you look closely it's the members username for the screenshots. I believe it will still show the username of the deleted member though instead of Guest or something like that.

Ah, well spotted that man ... my attention span and checking details doesn't run to reading things properly ;).

Thanks... seen.

Ok... so what does it delete then in regards to their account? I mean, does it remove their username from the database? If so, wouldn't that named association of existing posts inherit OR cause some type of issue if that username becomes registered again? Or is this purely a soft delete function, and once the cooling off has ceased, their username is still there, but the profile itself doesn't exist, nor can it be accessed any further, or that username used again?

Just trying to understand before I give it a try, that's all.
Hi, it removes the user account and associated information, password, email and so forth. I'm assuming it cans registration IP address as well. IP on posts likely is still stored.

Cleaning up IP logs is something for another addon that will save from having to do it manually :)

Anyhow, I should let Chris do the talking or to the very least confirm what I'm saying is correct.

Thanks. So what happens with posts that keep the username that has been deleted, as per this add-on's option to leave the field blank, thus the posts retain the username?

So if registered user 'Susan' deletes her account, after 100 posts, her account is removed... leaving available the username 'Susan' to be registered again. When the new 'Susan' registers, are there any association issues with the existing post data that is using that name?

If the username attribution option is left blank it is handled in the same way as deleting a user from the admin cp.

Their username remains in posts and they are marked as a guest. A bit like ragtek's posts here.

There is nothing to stop a user from registering as Susan as there's no longer a user record with that username.

The guest posts with a name of Susan remain as guest posts. This could cause some confusion, of course, but that's just one of those things that either has to be managed or like whyweprotest says, pop a forum username in the options and this will essentially anonymise all the posts and attribute them to a single account.

Nice addon.
I made a test with a factice user and met this issue :
After deletion demand, when logging out and trying to login again, Firefox displays a Redirection Error Message inviting me to check for cookies.
(issue met on Chrome as well)

Regards

Clicking the "contact us" link just seems to refresh the page for me ? Is there a way for it to bring up the contact us overlay ?

Hi Chris, great work as always. One thing. I use a contact form under the syntax www.mysite.com/forms (liquidPro SimpleForms add-on) but isn't possible to use clicking the contact link in you add-on :)
What can I do? :)

Thanks! ;)

Yeah I need to roll out a fix for that.

Right now, my recommendation is to use an e-mail address. In the Admin CP set the contact URL as:

mailto:your@email.com

I know it's not ideal, but I need a bit more time to make that a little better.

Top Bottom