Windows 8.1 vs Linux Mint 17

masterking

Hello Community,

So what is your opinion between windows 8.1 and linux mint 17 ? I partly disliked windows 8.1 and there's have been always problems for me and it's not much stable.
I've since days problems with bluescreen(s) at windows 8.1 and want to upgrade to linux mint 17.
So should i upgrade or not ?

Regards

That's a pretty broad question.

If you're looking for a linux desktop, Mint is a great choice.

If you need to run Windows apps natively, then 8.1 or 7 is the way to go. Microsoft announced that Windows 7 and 8.x customers will receive Windows 10 (the upcoming release) for free, so it's safe to go with 7 if you prefer that for the time being.

Do you think that i can habituate with Linux Mint ? Only one thing that i would need is Adobe Photoshop but there's an alternative Gimp.

Do you think that i can habituate with Linux Mint ? Only one thing that i would need is Adobe Photoshop but there's an alternative Gimp.
I believe you can try it out by running off a CD or USB drive.

Make sure it supports all of your computer's hardware and if you're comfortable using Linux, then you can decide if you want to use it permanently.

I believe you can try it out by running off a CD or USB drive.

Make sure it supports all of your computer's hardware and if you're comfortable using Linux, then you can decide if you want to use it permanently.

I recently installed Ubuntu and all went smooth.
I'm running Amd Quad Core with 8 gb of ram bought it few months ago the only issue i had was the wifi issue and i got it fixed by upgrading to new kernel it was 3.1.6 and by searching.

Honestly, operating systems are so damn similar these days you'll notice little difference. 3-5 years ago it'd have been an issue. But these days theres so many ways of running apps meant for other operating systems that its no longer an issue.

Go for Mint!

You can always have dual boot. By that way, you can also use software that work on Windows alone.

I run a dual boot system with Mint and Windows; best of both worlds.

The only one matter with dual boot is when my Windows 8.1 will reinstalled from scratch all boot entries like grub would removed like i tried before.
By the way i read somewhere that Gimp (Photoshop alternative) can open .PSD files is this true or not ?

Honestly, operating systems are so damn similar these days you'll notice little difference. 3-5 years ago it'd have been an issue. But these days theres so many ways of running apps meant for other operating systems that its no longer an issue.

Go for Mint!

Do you using linuxmint as of today ? If yes can you tell me it's pros and cons.

You need to install mint last. Thats important. If not, you'll need some grub tools to rebuilt the grub menu but its not without issues.

Is mint more user friendly than Ubunthu? Will a Windows user be able to manage everything? Or is there still a lot that needs to be done through command line?

You need to install mint last. Thats important. If not, you'll need some grub tools to rebuilt the grub menu but its not without issues.

That was exactly the reason why i preferer single boot instead of dual boot.I could also install mint with dual boot and after install easybcd and perform the backup of boot order so for the next simply importing it.

Is mint more user friendly than Ubunthu? Will a Windows user be able to manage everything? Or is there still a lot that needs to be done through command line?

Mint seems to be much better and popular than ubuntu but it's based on ubuntu.Many people like it more than ubuntu because it looks better and it's great choice.

Do you using linuxmint as of today ? If yes can you tell me it's pros and cons.
Nope, I'm on OS X. However have been on OS X and Linux in various forms for years now. Linux Mint runs a fairly standard Linux stack - you'll have no problems with it :)

Top Bottom