1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8.1 vs Linux Mint 17

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ugurkn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

Hello Community,

So what is your opinion between windows 8.1 and linux mint 17 ? I partly disliked windows 8.1 and there's have been always problems for me and it's not much stable.
    I've since days problems with bluescreen(s) at windows 8.1 and want to upgrade to linux mint 17.
    So should i upgrade or not ?

Regards

2. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

3. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

Do you think that i can habituate with Linux Mint ? Only one thing that i would need is Adobe Photoshop but there's an alternative Gimp.

4. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

I believe you can try it out by running off a CD or USB drive.

Make sure it supports all of your computer's hardware and if you're comfortable using Linux, then you can decide if you want to use it permanently.

5. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

I recently installed Ubuntu and all went smooth.
    I'm running Amd Quad Core with 8 gb of ram bought it few months ago the only issue i had was the wifi issue and i got it fixed by upgrading to new kernel it was 3.1.6 and by searching.

6. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Honestly, operating systems are so damn similar these days you'll notice little difference. 3-5 years ago it'd have been an issue. But these days theres so many ways of running apps meant for other operating systems that its no longer an issue.

Go for Mint!

7. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

You can always have dual boot. By that way, you can also use software that work on Windows alone.

8. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

I run a dual boot system with Mint and Windows; best of both worlds.

ForestForTrees likes this.
  9. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

The only one matter with dual boot is when my Windows 8.1 will reinstalled from scratch all boot entries like grub would removed like i tried before.
    By the way i read somewhere that Gimp (Photoshop alternative) can open .PSD files is this true or not ?

10. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

Do you using linuxmint as of today ? If yes can you tell me it's pros and cons.

11. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

You need to install mint last. Thats important. If not, you'll need some grub tools to rebuilt the grub menu but its not without issues.

12. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Is mint more user friendly than Ubunthu? Will a Windows user be able to manage everything? Or is there still a lot that needs to be done through command line?

13. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

That was exactly the reason why i preferer single boot instead of dual boot.I could also install mint with dual boot and after install easybcd and perform the backup of boot order so for the next simply importing it.

14. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

Mint seems to be much better and popular than ubuntu but it's based on ubuntu.Many people like it more than ubuntu because it looks better and it's great choice.

15. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

I will give it a try today with VirtualBox.

16. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Nope, I'm on OS X. However have been on OS X and Linux in various forms for years now. Linux Mint runs a fairly standard Linux stack - you'll have no problems with it :)

17. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Install all windows updates, update your drivers software always.
    Don't have that experience after I install all updates.

18. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

All drivers are already up to date.I've installed an fresh windows yesterday but still having the same issue with atikmdag.sys.

19. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

ElementaryOS is another option, though it has a OSX style to it.

KeVo likes this.
  20. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

Yes i've heard from.Linux Mint is very popular and probably best linux like i read.I'll try and choose which fits in my requirements.