Will you be creating an importer for phpBB?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know phpBB isn't widely regarded but my site started out on a free host and we still use phpBB for the forum.

I've been waiting for the right thing to come along before upgrading and I think I've found it.

A migration script would be absolutely essential though and is a show stopper.

I understand that your priority is to get the core functionality working and presumably you'll be targeting vB forum owners first but after that?

what nulled version ? ? !

you need to convert the database. you are not going live with anything, heck you are not even ftping or installing anything

If I converted phpbb to vbulletin I would need to buy it to even convert it legally to vbulletin then buy xenforo to convert to xenforo from vbulletin.. I think im just going to wait for the phpbb converter I said.

Sakura....Don't mind Blandt.

I know he is trying to help you move to XF, but he is stating something illegal.

In order to use Impex it means you NEED access to a vB license.

However, if someone here has Impex, they can probably help you port your data to a vB format, and then use the XF importer to make it into a XF format.

Otherwise, yes sadly you will have to wait awhile.

Oh wait that reminds me I have 1 more question. Does Xenforo have a cash mod yet? (One that allows donating to other users and staff (with permissions set) (or yourself) can modify anyones cash?

Oh wait that reminds me I have 1 more question. Does Xenforo have a cash mod yet? (One that allows donating to other users and staff (with permissions set) (or yourself) can modify anyones cash?

DBTech are probably preparing to port their modifications to XenForo (They've released a few of their other ones so far).

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbecommerce.php?do=purchase&act=product&id=50
http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbecommerce.php?do=purchase&act=product&id=40

A cash/shop mod will probably be released for free after the stable release, as a lot of forums do use it.

I've ended up doing a lot of projects that involve migrating data now, so I might write a generic tool with a rule set for doing it.
That would be great Jerry.

I'm getting close to importing so the only route available to me at the moment is via vB which I want to avoid due to the password issue.

That would be great Jerry.

I'm getting close to importing so the only route available to me at the moment is via vB which I want to avoid due to the password issue.

Could likely do that and then keep the old phpBB table and use xF to auth against that. In the vB days there was a lot of concern about passwords during migration, though I found most users were happy with clicking a link to reset it, when you explain you're moving systems.

how do you run impex without vB? I never knew it was a standalone script.

Also where can you download impex for free?
AFAIK, impex is run through vB's admin page. At least that's how I do it.
Since impex imports into vB, I don't see how it could be a standalone script.

Does anyone need their forum imported?

AFAIK, impex is run through vB's admin page. At least that's how I do it.
Since impex imports into vB, I don't see how it could be a standalone script.

Does anyone need their forum imported?

ImpEx is stand alone, all you need are the ImpEx scripts and you're fine. I've done many hundreds of imports with just the scripts and even a fair few with the source & target databases on two seperate remote machines. You just need to configure the correcnt remote access to the dBs.

GRANT SELECT FROM 'moo'@<ipaddress> ...............

ImpEx is stand alone, all you need are the ImpEx scripts and you're fine. I've done many hundreds of imports with just the scripts and even a fair few with the source & target databases on two seperate remote machines. You just need to configure the correcnt remote access to the dBs.
You don't need to begin with a set of vB tables?

Top Bottom