Will New Xenforo get new CK Editor 4?

The developers tested ckeditor but I believe their reason for not using it was that it requires a licence for commercial use... That's just from memory I can't remember if it's 100% accurate.

Because CK Editor has more features and is the editor to go with. vB, IPB, WBB4, all use the CK Editor. XenForo sticks with TinyMCE only because it's free.

Reactions: vVv
Because CK Editor has more features and is the editor to go with. vB, IPB, WBB4, all use the CK Editor. XenForo sticks with TinyMCE only because it's free.
That doesn't make a "shame" to integrate TinyMCE in a script. When the script integrates TinyMCE, users complain it doesn't have Ck Editor. When the script integrates Ck Editor, users complain it doesn't have TinyMCE (if I remembered what I read with Ib vB4, many users had problems with Ck Editor).

Now if I look at the new functionalities of this version 4 (beta), I see "Toolbar configuration NEW". When I look at the samples page of this toolbar configuration, it's almost the same than TinyMCE has already (except the possibility to make button groups). So... I'm not sure TinyMCE has to feel that "tiny" and that "shameful".

Now the XenForo version of TinyMCE is not directly using the Bb Code version. It's a modified HTML version that parse/unparse HTML code on the fly (html=>bbcode/bbcode=>html). That's a good system, except for one thing: each line is wrapped with <p></p> html tags. So if a text block is using an align center, then all its lines will have this style <p style="text-align:center"></p>, which is not that good because when XenForo catches those lines to transform them to bbcode, the bbcode [ center ] is applied to all of them instead of only wrapping the text block.

That is for me the major problem of this system. But again. Shame is a strong word which I think doesn't fit here.

TinyMCE has the benefit of being very light, I much prefer to CKEditor.

Reactions: vVv
Cause it's garbage man.
Again, give us some examples. Say "It's garbage" doesn't help to target the problems" ;)

For the above problem I described, there's might be a basic solution, take back the default XenForo align buttons from the editor (=> see buttons manager) and replace them with new align Bb Codes. Of course those new align won't be wysiwyg, but for advanced users who need to use the editor as a PAO tool, it's not a problem.

It's also possible to add those new Bb Codes align buttons without taking back the XenForo ones and set some permissions on them (only Advanced users can see them).

Again, give us some examples. Say "It's garbage" doesn't help to target the problems" ;)

For the above problem I described, there's might be a basic solution, take back the default XenForo align buttons from the editor (=> see buttons manager) and replace them with new align Bb Codes. Of course those new align won't be wysiwyg, but for advanced users who need to use the editor as a PAO tool, it's not a problem.

It's also possible to add those new Bb Codes align buttons without taking back the XenForo ones and set some permissions on them (only Advanced users can see them).
Garbage is an insult to the creators of TinyMCE as I'm sure they worked pretty damn hard on it, plus it's free. Garbage is what it is when you go from CKEditor in vBulletin 4 (which is what my forum originally was) to TinyMCE, a substandard editor compared to CKEditor. There are many options and flexibility CKEditor provides, flexibility of which TinyMCE offers none in AdminCP btw and the auto-save feature is priceless. If your new to forums, the TinyMCE will probably suffice. But if you are like me and have come from vBulletin 4, you'll come to hate and detest it. Kudos to Adam Howard spurring a project that will replace the TinyMCE and I hope Chris Deeming does a great job on it because once they finish it I'm definitely switching over. I'll probably even donate too.

+ I just wanted to add... I have had such a bad experience with TinyMCE... STILL having such a bad experience with it, that I never wanna use it again after Adam's project is completed.

I would probably even post less on xenforo.com just because TinyMCE is on here. :ROFLMAO:

I know you've done some good work customizing TinyMCE cclaerhout but TinyMCE is like a horrible ex-girlfriend. No matter how 'pretty' she looks now compared to back then, you'll never want to go back to her again after all the drama you've been through.

There are many options and flexibility CKEditor provides, flexibility of which TinyMCE offers none in AdminCP btw and the auto-save feature is priceless.
Put aside the autosave, which options are you talking?

By the way the autosave feature is a plugin of TinyMCE that is inside the XenForo plugin directory but hasn't been activated (I didn't look further). There's also a XenForo addon for it.

Garbage is an insult to the creators of TinyMCE.
If I remember what I read, there's only 1 man who did the code (except plugin) and fixes the bugs. And this man made an open source editor on his own time and provides it with an open source licence.

Again it's easy to criticize but if you don't support this guy, show him at least a little respect to him and his work.

Top Bottom