Will New Xenforo get new CK Editor 4?

It's a shame no forum solution create their own IMO. I can't say I like any of them.

InvisionPower actually did create their own but got rid of it in one of the 3.x versions due to all of the browser updates breaking things. They had to put most of their time into fixing the editor every time a browser update came out instead of fixing other bugs so they went with CKEditor.

^^ If their version of CKEditor is anything to go by then I would advise XenForo to stay well away from it (at least for the time being).

Although I hate how painfully slow the current XenForo editor is, I have yet to see it screw up any of my posts in the way the CKEditor has.

To be honest, I don't see the desire for a RTE or WYSIWYG editor, especially not a sophisticated one.
I like being able to Ctrl + B/I/U, but that's all I use this editor for. Everything else I can do with BB code, which is usually quicker than dealing with the pop-ups that TinyMCE throws at me.

I'd be fine with a plain text editor with a couple of buttons that prepends and appends BB code to strings.

I'd be fine with a plain text editor with a couple of buttons that prepends and appends BB code to strings.

DONE !!!
ywve.png

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/minorin-standard-non-wysiwyg-editor-toolbar.117/

DONE !!!
examples_01-png.29165

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/markitup-integrator-free-cc-license.696/

:)

Overall Xenforo's implementation of TinyMCE is workable.
I guess I know all the nuances, so they are easy to work around.

Creating complicated (highly formatted posts) is not fun @ times.

I think the draw back of every forum software is they try to make the editor work for the forum software. It would be a lot easier and maybe smarter if the forum software was designed around the editor.

When you take into account that the editor is the heart of the forum, blog, cms, or whatever you're using... It makes me wonder why so many developments go leaps and bounds to change things.

I'd like for once to see a fully developed editor inside the product.... No taking anything out of it.

Even TinyTCE would be better if XenForo had gone that road.

I think the draw back of every forum software is they try to make the editor work for the forum software. It would be a lot easier and maybe smarter if the forum software was designed around the editor.I'd like for once to see a fully developed editor inside the product.... No taking anything out of it.
What's one example ?

I'm not trying to argue with you. When you feel strongly about something, the feelings come pouring out. No logic or argument is needed to dislike something.
No problem, I understand. You said it's crap but you can't say why. I wish nobody will tell you one day that your work is crap without saying why :rolleyes:

By the way I've tested a few years ago and I'm still using CkEditor with one or two scripts, and it's a great editor especially in html, for example to create tables (I think it's the really the best for this). I've also met problems with it with space management (may be that problem has been fixed - that problem was with Wordpress).

The thing is the advanced html functions (ie:table) can't be used (or at least I never saw them used) when the Editor is used with Bb Codes (directly or with an html/bbcode parser). So I don't see objective reasons to say in that mode CkEditor is better then TinyMCE (especially if Luxus told us that the wrapping tags problem is still there). But if someone shows me real reasons, I will more than happy to read them. Oh, there's one, the coding. Many coders say the coding pattern of CkEditor is better. To be honest, I'm not enough experimented to verify this.

Now about the loading performance, it's true that on Wordpress CkEditor requires much time to load, but once loaded, there are a lots of html functions. But as far as remember, Ib vB4 editor is not that long to load (with only standard Bb Code buttons).

No problem, I understand. You said it's crap but you can't say why. I wish nobody will tell you one day that your work is crap without saying why :rolleyes:

By the way I've tested a few years ago and I'm still using CkEditor with one or two scripts, and it's a great editor especially in html, for example to create tables (I think it's the really the best for this). I've also met problems with it with space management (may be that problem has been fixed - that problem was with Wordpress).

The thing is the advanced html functions (ie:table) can't be used (or at least I never saw them used) when the Editor is used with Bb Codes (directly or with an html/bbcode parser). So I don't see objective reasons to say in that mode CkEditor is better then TinyMCE (especially if Luxus told us that the wrapping tags problem is still there). But if someone shows me real reasons, I will more than happy to read them. Oh, there's one, the coding. Many coders say the coding pattern of CkEditor is better. To be honest, I'm not enough experimented to verify this.

Now about the loading performance, it's true that on Wordpress CkEditor requires much time to load, but once loaded, there are a lots of html functions. But as far as remember, Ib vB4 editor is not that long to load (with only standard Bb Code buttons).
Oh and did I mention that CKEditor looks better too? and yes I've been told my work is crap without saying why, even here on xenforo. CKEditor is easier to style btw

Thanks. You really, really, really like TinyMCE huh?
No. I prefer none wysiwyg editor. They are better for a clean code. And I told above that for advanced html functions CK Editor is better. I just wanted to understand why people didn't like so much TinyMCE. And it seems the main reason is that the grass will always be greener on the other side :p

No. I prefer none wysiwyg editor. They are better for a clean code. And I told above that for advanced html functions CK Editor is better. I just wanted to understand why people didn't like so much TinyMCE.
It's very buggy. But here's some of the major reasons I don't like it (and CKEditor handles them)...

Reactions: vVv
It's very buggy. But here's some of the major reasons I don't like it (and CKEditor handles them)...

The line breaks and posting from an iPhone problems are killing me right now. I know a lotta peeps who use iPhones that used to post on my site back when I had vBulletin 4 and ever since converting over to Xenforo they won't post anymore. The dudes, I don't mind, but losing all those hot chicks cause of crappy azz TinyMCE is unforgiveable!... :cry:

Reactions: vVv

Here is a real answer! Thank you.

I hate TinyMCE enough that I've actually been tossing around the idea of just ripping it out and not replacing it with ANYTHING (just an old-school TEXTAREA box like you get on iPhone).

Or even going so far as to just disable all BBCode. I mean Facebook doesn't let you format stuff, and it seems to be working okay for them (in fact, that's one of the things that I liked about Facebook vs. MySpace). Personally, I can't think of any post I've ever made that I needed to make the font bigger or colors.

I hate TinyMCE enough that I've actually been tossing around the idea of just ripping it out and not replacing it with ANYTHING (just an old-school TEXTAREA box like you get on iPhone).

Or even going so far as to just disable all BBCode. I mean Facebook doesn't let you format stuff, and it seems to be working okay for them (in fact, that's one of the things that I liked about Facebook vs. MySpace). Personally, I can't think of any post I've ever made that I needed to make the font bigger or colors.
Please please please

but I'd like to keep bbcode so we can add our own buttons.

Like claerhout's premium bb code is a indispensable resource that lets us hide parts of our posts.

Top Bottom