Will New Xenforo get new CK Editor 4?

It's very buggy. But here's some of the major reasons I don't like it (and CKEditor handles them)...
  • The overall BBCode parsing is poor, and when something isn't perfectly formed, it starts formatting things very poorly (users tend to not have perfect BBCode).
The BB Code parsing is a XenForo implementation (may be I'm wrong but I don't think so)

It's very buggy. But here's some of the major reasons I don't like it (and CKEditor handles them)...
  • Flat out does not work on mobile devices (iPhone, etc.)
Answers about TinyMCE on mobile browsers: Official TinyMCE forum thread

The BB Code parsing is a XenForo implementation (may be I'm wrong but I don't think so)
Not sure... never really looked into it myself. I *do* know that much of the BBCode problems with TinyMCE on XenForo also exist on the official TinyMCE editor demo, so I would assume it's more TinyMCE issues... but again... haven't looked enough into it to say definitively.

Answers about TinyMCE on mobile browsers: Official TinyMCE forum thread
At the end of the day, all I care about is if it works on MY devices (which TinyMCE does not on XenForo on my iPhone 5 or iPad 2).

You can use the Bb Codes in a simple textarea... Why disable them?
Mostly they are just obnoxious to me. I might not remove all, but I'd remove things like SIZE, FONT, COLOR, RIGHT, LEFT, INDENT... I'd leave things like URL, IMG, MEDIA and QUOTE. Like I already made it so you can't use INDENT, IMG, MEDIA, LIST, CODE, PHP, QUOTE or SIZE in signatures.

Mostly they are just obnoxious to me. I might not remove all, but I'd remove things like SIZE, FONT, COLOR, RIGHT, LEFT, INDENT... I'd leave things like URL, IMG, MEDIA and QUOTE.
... I don't get it. You want to put a text in bold, you just type the bboce [ b]This is bold [ /bold ]... It would be more difficult to "remove" those bbcodes from the original XenForo code than let users the choice to use it or not.

... I don't get it. You want to put a text in bold, you just type the bboce [ b]This is bold [ /bold ]... It would be more difficult to "remove" those bbcodes from the original XenForo code than let users the choice to use it or not.
Agreed... didn't know this discussion was about the easiest option. The easiest option obviously is to do nothing. :)

I've tested it. I think it's again the parser (from XenForo).

Example: if I use the indent function I've made in MarkItUp, here's the code
Code:
Normal text
[indent=1]Indent level1
[indent=1]Inner Indent Level1[/indent]
[/indent]
Let's go back to normal text

Once the parser converts it from html:
Code:
Normal text
[INDENT=1]Indent level1[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]Inner Indent Level1[/INDENT]

Let's go back to normal text

This problem is may be the same as I described above: the regex conversion is hard from html. Ib vB4 doesn't have this problem this time?

To be honest, I don't see the desire for a RTE or WYSIWYG editor, especially not a sophisticated one.
I like being able to Ctrl + B/I/U, but that's all I use this editor for. Everything else I can do with BB code, which is usually quicker than dealing with the pop-ups that TinyMCE throws at me.

I'd be fine with a plain text editor with a couple of buttons that prepends and appends BB code to strings.
Exactly, never understood why they were required in the first place. Is there anyone here who likes what new members do with them on their forums? Like change it to an unreadable font or use colors where it's not required? Then mods have to edit the post again because it's annoying to everyone probably including the OP...

What XF needs is a simple, stable, fast in-house editor. Low feature count by default, and some check boxes in the ACP for those who require them. You can't tell me this would be a lot of work to maintain compatibility with all major browsers.

Not sure about that one specifically... I honestly don't follow the issues with TinyMCE too closely. All I know is in real-world use, CKEditor causes less problems for me as an end user. Personally I don't care WHAT editor is used... as long as it works (well). The biggest annoyance for me is TinyMCE stripping tabs since I post a lot of code. But I've definitely run into other formatting issues that I just didn't care about enough to document (probably just malformed BBCode), and I don't run into those issues with CKEditor.

Not sure about that one specifically... I honestly don't follow the issues with TinyMCE too closely. All I know is in real-world use, CKEditor causes less problems for me as an end user. Personally I don't care WHAT editor is used... as long as it works (well). The biggest annoyance for me is TinyMCE stripping tabs since I post a lot of code. But I've definitely run into other formatting issues that I just didn't care about enough to document (probably just malformed BBCode), and I don't run into those issues with CKEditor.
I've read your post, but I didn't well understand (sorry, may be my English). Do you have a basic example please?

TinyMCE strips tabs... it turns it into this:

PHP:
<?php

class DigitalPointSpy_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage_Post extends XFCP_DigitalPointSpy_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage_Post
{
public function save()
{
if ($response = parent::save())
{
if (isset($this->_existingData['xf_post']['post_id']) && isset($this->_existingData['xf_post']['thread_id']))
{
// Changing state... will be picked up by moderator log as delete/undelete, etc.
if (@$this->_existingData['xf_post']['post_id'] == @$this->_newData['xf_post']['post_id'])
{
$this->_db->insert('dp_spy', array(
'user_id' => XenForo_Visitor::getUserId(), 
'thread_id' => $this->_existingData['xf_post']['thread_id'], 
'post_id' => $this->_existingData['xf_post']['post_id'], 
'date' => XenForo_Application::$time,
'action' => 'post_edit'
));
}
}
// New post/thread
elseif (isset($this->_newData['xf_post']['post_id']) && isset($this->_newData['xf_post']['thread_id']))
{
'thread_id' => $this->_newData['xf_post']['thread_id'], 
'post_id' => $this->_newData['xf_post']['post_id'], 
'action' => ($this->_newData['xf_post']['position'] == 0 ? 'thread' : 'post') . '_create'
));
}
}
return $response;
}
}

When it really was this:
PHP:
<?php

class DigitalPointSpy_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage_Post extends XFCP_DigitalPointSpy_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage_Post
{
	public function save()
	{
		if ($response = parent::save())
		{		
			if (isset($this->_existingData['xf_post']['post_id']) && isset($this->_existingData['xf_post']['thread_id']))
			{
				// Changing state... will be picked up by moderator log as delete/undelete, etc.
				if (@$this->_existingData['xf_post']['post_id'] == @$this->_newData['xf_post']['post_id'])
				{
						'thread_id' => $this->_existingData['xf_post']['thread_id'], 
						'post_id' => $this->_existingData['xf_post']['post_id'], 
						'action' => 'post_edit'
					));
				}
			}
			// New post/thread
			elseif (isset($this->_newData['xf_post']['post_id']) && isset($this->_newData['xf_post']['thread_id']))
			{			
					'thread_id' => $this->_newData['xf_post']['thread_id'], 
					'post_id' => $this->_newData['xf_post']['post_id'], 
					'action' => ($this->_newData['xf_post']['position'] == 0 ? 'thread' : 'post') . '_create'
				));
			}
		}
		return $response;
	}
}

Whaou, It took make me a lot of time to understand and reproduce the problem:
When you paste tabs in TinyMCE, the editor will convert them into spaces to simulate the tabs and it's working after => the standard textarea will keep the spaces.
a)But if you paste a code with tabs in the text area (not TinyMCE) and save it, if you edit it next time with TinyMCE, the above problem will occur.
b)But if you paste a code with tabs in the text area (not TinyMCE) and switch back to TinyMCE, the above problem will occur.

FWIW I've pasted directly into TinyMCE and had the code keep the spacing.. but lose it on edit, but then if I add them back in manually in TinyMCE it keeps them again. It doesn't seem to be a very consistent bug.

I deactivated bbcode and forced using the [textarea] vb-editor called "simple editor". Very few complained but the protesters for sure gather an audience which is then also "concerned". I appreciate it if users use the content of their message to make their post more attractive, rather than using a different font style and size. Now I use xenforo with the bbcode editor and I don't like it when my users change the content appearance. It rarely adds to the content.

URL, IMG, MEDIA should be done automatically. If entered, there should be a not editable preview post with the text and media content embedded directly below the textarea editor.

Top Bottom