Will more devs jump ship from vB

When I sold a business to the Daily Mail group in the UK I was advised that the non-compete clause in the 'sale of business' contract was unenforceable under EU-wide law, I had the same advice when I left the last company I worked for in respect of the 'employment' contract.

Personally, I think it can infringe your rights. Correction, it does. What they can enforce is a trade secret or whatever conduct contract, whereby you don't divulge competitive information in/exclusive to the former contract. This is already in place.

They will expend when they need to, surely. And then in a way that's logical.
And what will happen is what Jerry said; in the future .. so time will tell. :)

Non-compete clauses are rarely upheld in the US anyways. I think there are more cases where they have been ignored than they have been upheld.

They are probably put in action whenever the company feels threatened by their ex-employee or would like to get a good sum from his new projects. Otherwise it probably doesn't matter.

EU restriction of trade legislation prevents these clauses having much meaning in the UK.

I once worked for a firm that made me redundant and THEN tried to prevent me working for any of their competitors. Oh how I laughed!!

Yeah, you don't want me making my own software, then don't fire me.

Well it wasn't a coding job, it was in IT/Telecoms. But the principle is the same.

I just went and worked for a competitor, and two years later I still work there, and they treat their employeeswith a modicum of respect whilst still making oodes of cash.

See that's just one of the reasons I know XenForo will make oodles of cash. There is no need to operate like IB do, you CAN make a lot of money without shating people.

EU restriction of trade legislation prevents these clauses having much meaning in the UK.

I once worked for a firm that made me redundant and THEN tried to prevent me working for any of their competitors. Oh how I laughed!!

Indeed in the EU, same in Canada.

I've never seen one that was anything more that the company trying to scare ex-employees. There can be clauses around trade secrets, and when dealing with the Official Secrets Act it's a whole different ball game, though in civilian world it has way more to do with companies (lawyers, therefore just about money) trying to scare people into not doing their own thing.

.......... There is no need to operate like IB do, you CAN make a lot of money without shating people.

Indeed, typically you make way more when you do it properly. I've been on both sides of it and now run software teams and my own company in a very healthy way.

Let alone doing something you want to be a part of and are happy to get to in the morning etc.

Indeed in the EU, same in Canada.

I've never seen one that was anything more that the company trying to scare ex-employees. There can be clauses around trade secrets, and when dealing with the Official Secrets Act it's a whole different ball game, though in civilian world it has way more to do with companies (lawyers, therefore just about money) trying to scare people into not doing their own thing.

Very true Jerry.

As regards trade secrets I support employers on that one, it's not the right thing to do for employees to betray confidentiality.

But a company trying to prevent an employee earning a living - a total affront!

I have moved from competitor to competitor but I would never betray confidences. If a new employer said to me, for example, "tell me details of your previous employer's plans and methods", the answer would be a firm "No!". Ethics in business is important, IMO.

Top Bottom