Wiki template required

rowedf

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post, but I'd like to pay someone to help me develop a basic "roster" type template that I can use to create member pages for each member from certain groups?

It's wicked when you come across something that you realise is just what you want, but then you stumble when trying to get it tweaked to the way you want it. It's great for those who know how to program and create templates, but when you're not into such things it becomes a real pain and very frustrating. It would be good for some sample templates to be included and some very basic and understandable instructions on how to make changes without delving into the realms of a coders mind. We want to spend time telling our users how to use these great add-ons in a language that both they and we can understand - this allows us to get on with building our communities instead of learning how to program and generate templates. That's my only complaint with a number of the add-ons available here. Many of my members have had to be given video instructions on how to use even the simplest of features - this is where coders need to take a step back and understand that both we and our users need to know how to use these add-ons with a very low learning curve being at the centre of them all and clear instructions provided with some samples to play with. We're not all as smart as the coders think we are, nor are we dumb either - we just need a little help and encouragement.

:)

Extremely well said and so accurate. I know enough about coding to just get myself in trouble. But it's hard to REALLY understand how something works unless I can get in there and see solid examples. I know not everyone learns best that way, but I think a lot do.

Davyc, Do what I do. Stay away from things you don't understand in most cases simple is better anyway.

Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day, teach him how to fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime.

;)

Basically what I'm after is for the Wiki to have a sectioned table of contents with pages that can be added to a section and those pages to be numbered (if possible) automatically when created - as in:

SECTION ONE TITLE

1: Page created by user
2: Page created by another user
3: And so on

SECTION TWO TITLE

1: Page created by user
2: Page created by another user
3: And so on

This way is becomes pretty much like a book with chapters and pages that can be referenced within the chapters.

I can create pages and then sub-pages, but they don't really work out as I want them, they just end up as a list of pages with no real discernible structure to them. I could illustrate this in HTML but it would just look the same as above. If I create a page with an h1 heading in html it shows the word Contents with the page title bulleted under it but subsequent pages don't show up in the list even when that page is selected as the prime. It appears to be a very strange way to set up contents with chapter headings and pages there-in. The problem really lies with my members who are not articulate with code - they understand rudimentary principles but beyond that they get lost and as such don't use a featured add-on. If I can say to my members "when you create a page choose from the following list of headings from the drop down menu under which to post your contribution" they will understand, beyond that it's a non-starter.

:)

Will the auto-linking of wiki articles help? You could just post the name of wiki articles in the order you want, then it'll link them... You can bold / heading the section titles as required, and turn off the TOC for that page.

That sounds like it may just do the job - especially being able to order the articles as I know some members will place them in the wrong place lol. I'd love to give this a try - many thanks.

Top Bottom